MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Montana Block Management Program

Obviously somebody much more important had called to get access and I was booted out. My experience on Type 2 is the landowner does what they want but this way they can still get paid for it being BMA.
The only places where I see that landowners really could wrong folks is the Type 2s where they control the rosters. I think all Type 2s should be administered by FWP in terms of their access.
I hadn’t been on here a month and got into a big pissing match with folks about this. Seemed everyone had a friend in a type 2 so it was fiercely defended.. reading this now, it’s perceived the same as I observed…

There are several landowners who like the ability to physically see who is hunting their land. There are some type 1 & type II's that I've hunted where you either talk to the landowner so they can help set you up for success based on species, or who simply want to put eyes on your rig and you. Not every landowner wants to disconnect from the hunting public on their property. Keep that option, or allow for another way for the landowner and the hunter to connect face to face.

The landowners I mentioned earlier, who have been in BM since the beginning, require written permission from the landowner, but all who ask for it get access. On the HuntPlanner it is listed as a type 1, though I don't know if that is technically true. As she has said, in nearly 3 decades she has only had one problem-hunter. That is pretty great, particularly in this heavily hunted HD. I don't think it is unreasonable for a landowner to want to have a face-to-face with folks who want to hunt on their property, and I think any changes hunters ask for need to allow landowners some flexibility. Landowners, ranches, habitats, hunter dynamics - we should be careful for one size fits all solutions that may feel overbearing to landowners who want to participate.

Was it the same guy I’m thinking about? If so, he knew EXACTLY what he was doing and even told me so. I put a very professional letter out to all the right people at FWP. The drafted up a reply and cc’d the landowner - citing his great hunter use days and high hunter reviews over the years. Guys milking the system.
Sometimes you gotta just roll the dice and see what happens;)

I don't think it is unreasonable for a landowner to want to have a face-to-face with folks who want to hunt on their property, and I think any changes hunters ask for need to allow landowners some flexibility. Landowners, ranches, habitats, hunter dynamics - we should be careful for one size fits all solutions that may feel overbearing to landowners who want to participate.
I agree. Just trying to think of how to ask for more oversight to ensure equal access without advocating for the one-size-fits-all. I don't think the latter would fly with the commission, and if it did would alienate a number of those who enroll in the program. But, there's plenty of folks who are tired of having multiple calls go unreturned season after season while, true or not, the BMA owner accumulates user day payments for letting their buddies on.

Spitballs:

FWP administers dates via lottery or somesuch, but you have to pick up permission slips from landowner before you hunt? They can show you around and identify you and your vehicle if they wish.

Meet and greet group day before the season for anyone who has been given access to go over the rules? There's one BMA in the Big Hole where you have to go pick up permission slips in person at the ranch on a specific date prior to the season. Seems to work for them.

Maybe worth asking here, as I haven't been paying as much attention as I should, but what ever became of the idea of having folks take the Hunter Landowner Stewardship Course as a prerequisite to hunting on certain BMA's? That might help assuage some landowner fears about having Johnny Q. Mudtire ripping around their fields?

If the gate was locked, how did the horsemen get their stock around it? If the road is on his property and unless it had historic public use for govt service (i.e. mail or school bus), it is his road. I suspect the USFS may have had a temporary arrangement to use the road (if they even used it). If the USFS built the road, then the farmer may be required to allow public use. There has been a lot of Montana courtroom activity on that issue in recent decades and most of the closures of historic use roadways (usually by transplanted phony "ranchers") have been revoked. I can understand the rancher closing the road if govt ceases to maintain it. I see many situations where BMA ranchers have closed roadways on their property and almost always it's because hunters won't stay off them when they're wet. I know one guy that puts up a sign saying stay off the access road when it's muddy. Yeah right! The assholes go ahead and tear up the place anyway. I confronted two douchebags from Washington a few years ago. "We signed in so we have a right to hunt however we choose. That's why the rancher is getting paid." I felt like shooting the tires out. But decided to save my ammo. I knew what was in store for them. They spent most of the rest of the day trying get unstuck. By late afternoon both men and their truck were covered with gumbo top to bottom.
Road has been in use by the public for as long as I or my father can remember all without incident. Road remains open per the USFS beyond his property line and he and friends have continued to use the road beyond his property. Essentially there is now an open FS road that this landowner holds 100% control over who drives it.

Road has been in use by the public for as long as I or my father can remember all without incident. Road remains open per the USFS beyond his property line and he and friends have continued to use the road beyond his property. Essentially there is now an open FS road that this landowner holds 100% control over who drives it.
Get a lawyer. You may be able to force the landowner to open the road, especially if it can be established that the govt built it through his property.

Get a lawyer. You may be able to force the landowner to open the road, especially if it can be established that the govt built it through his property.
We are close to that. Problem at this moment is that the road has been there so long tracking down the actual paperwork proving the roads origin is difficult to find.

Some of the BMA's are a total scam, and some are good. The sign in as you go seems to get the least abuse on the landowners side. The ones where you have to call them up on the first day and reserve the days are abused. I know for a fact of a couple where the same guys are hunting it every year no matter what. It comes down to his buddies are hunting his ranch year after year and the rest of the tag holders pay for that private access.
I know of one property like this near Chinook. Reservations are required but have to be made (in person I think) at the FWP district office in Havre. Seems to eliminate any scamming. I know of another landowner in the area who was reportedly kicked out of the program for only allowing paying customers to make reservations with him. Double dipping.

Even though it may not be a county road, I would start with you area County Commissioner and see it that individual has a position on the topic or the road foreman. See if there is an option research historical records (county maps) to see if it was ever on their system. Also, ask if they have or are receiving gas tax revenues from the state that may shed some light on the subject. It may not hurt to "kick the sleeping dog" some.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back