Retirement looms

fmnjr

My SS record is showing I've been at it since 1966. It might be time to enter the ranks of retirement. I've got a problem with being inactive. But I'll learn to live with it, tens of millions of others have, right? Curious to hear what got others here to pull the trigger?

NAV, I'm answering this as a 48 year old who projects my retirement age as 70.

I'm seeing more and more people just going after their passion rather than settling for the rocking chair and golf course. Seems to be an issue for workaholics who don't have a life outside of going to the office every day. I think if you have set up your business where you have good people doing the day to day stuff well, and the bottom line is where it should be, you make more time for things in your life that bring you joy.

I think the biggest thing to me is when is my mortgage going to be paid off? When will my kids be out of college? I'd gladly go to work at a lower paying gig I was passionate about, as long as I could make more time to ride my horse and go hunting while meeting my financial obligations.

Do you have a volunteer gig you enjoy? My father ended up employed by a industry group because he was active in issues and policy. There are other countries who can use technical experienced folks to help build infrastructure.

Like hunting dogs? Might be the time to put more time to train one or more.

Got any fitness goals? Your age group in running is shrinking....you might be on the podium!

What was going to be your career when you were a little tyke in single digits? time to do it!

Every Retired person I've met has been busier than ever once they retired. Can't wait to hear your story!

I was kicked out of the military at 60 due to age limitations. Had to leave the day before my 60th birthday.
I hate retirement... really. No purpose. I volunteer on multiple levels, help feed the needy, conservation projects, lead a group in a conservation org, volunteer at church. Still feel no purpose. Summers aren't quite as bad as I can scout, hike, fly fish... but that only goes so far alone. I still feel lack of purpose, like the world is continuing and I am out of the loop.
Thinking about finding a job after my surgery recovery but not sure it will replace the purpose/drive that I had before retiring.
We moved after retiring, so my old cohorts are now 1000 miles away.
How do you guys deal with this?

My SS record is showing I've been at it since 1966. It might be time to enter the ranks of retirement. I've got a problem with being inactive. But I'll learn to live with it, tens of millions of others have, right? Curious to hear what got others here to pull the trigger?
I really miss working with the public as a NPS park ranger (I DO NOT miss working for the NPS agency). As a disabled vet with a ton of education and experience I could go back to work any time. It might even be therapeutic. But I'm a multimillionaire now and if I went back to work I'd just be pushing out some young person trying to build a career. I can't justify that.

Just because you are retired doesn't mean you have to be inactive. You could chase a passion you haven't had the time to chase, volunteer for an organization you like, or pick up some new hobbies. The world is your oyster!

I was kicked out of the military at 60 due to age limitations. Had to leave the day before my 60th birthday.
I hate retirement... really. No purpose. I volunteer on multiple levels, help feed the needy, conservation projects, lead a group in a conservation org, volunteer at church. Still feel no purpose. Summers aren't quite as bad as I can scout, hike, fly fish... but that only goes so far alone. I still feel lack of purpose, like the world is continuing and I am out of the loop.
Thinking about finding a job after my surgery recovery but not sure it will replace the purpose/drive that I had before retiring.
We moved after retiring, so my old cohorts are now 1000 miles away.
How do you guys deal with this?
Thank you for serving! May I ask what was your MOS?

I was forced into retirement to care for my wife. Definitely not prepared for it financially but we're doing ok. Hunting and having a garden help fill the freezer. Not much to do this time of year now but I get to stay warm! I like to grill and smoke meat and make sausage of different types when I get a bug up my ass. Learning how to bake and have chocolate chip cookies down pretty good. Got a nice recipe for pecan pie that my father really likes. It's different, that's for sure! Good luck with your decision.

Inactive? I retires July 29th. Been pretty busy between fishing, hunting, hiking, golfing and the honey do list. Will get a 1 or 2 day a week job this winter

Hunted more than ever this year and when I didn't feel like going for a day, I didn't. No pressure to hunt or other things

You do need something to fill ti.e but being inactive is a choice

I really miss working with the public as a NPS park ranger (I DO NOT miss working for the NPS agency). As a disabled vet with a ton of education and experience I could go back to work any time. It might even be therapeutic. But I'm a multimillionaire now and if I went back to work I'd just be pushing out some young person trying to build a career. I can't justify that.
Being a millionaire, and having a law degree, is just about what it takes to be a modern day hunter 😂 With your background consluting might really be an option.

Being a millionaire, and having a law degree, is just about what it takes to be a modern day hunter 😂 With your background consluting might really be an option.
I just worked for a different agency, lets say, and there was surely no consluting with the publick...

I did some of that for an Idian battlefield site. Enjoyable ... until the NPS credited my work to another staff member ... of the politically correct ethnic persuasion. Similarly, at Yosemite my historical research and writing were subsequently adulterated to fit political agendas. No wonder that outfit gets hauled into court all the time. Be damned if my reputation and career is going to get wrecked that way. I don't need their paycheck that badly. See ya! Like I said, I hated working FOR the Park Service. I also was briefly a consultant for Indian land claims lawyers. Very interesting work doing historical resource extraction research. But again, the clients were not interested in the truth, only a report that fit their agenda. I mean, if I can find out the truth, so can the other side. That should be worth something, right? Nope. Only fantasy and if I don't make it real, I'm a racist ... and they don't work with racists. My skin isn't thick enough for that insulting bullshit! Cut me a check ... or else the research is mine and I can sell it to whomever I want. I got paid. So much for working as a consultant.

Been in business 42yrs, turned 65 in November.
Time flies when your having fun, lol. Never really had a solid exit plan but have heavy assets.
Have a company looking to buy mine but I'm staying on. Should give me more freedom when it comes to hunting.
Just don't think I could quit cold turkey. Most of my family, mainly brother in laws are retired, they get pretty excited about painting lawnmowers...... I'll keep working

Retired 11 years ago, it is highly underrated. Turned my 20 years of part time guiding in Alaska to a full time job the day after I retired from the PD. I retired from guiding last year. I’m so busy now I don’t know how I had time to work full time. Last winter we put 9000 miles on the truck, pulling the airstream around the south west and all the way down to Cabo. This winter we’ll only do a week or so in old Mexico. Going to spend time in Arizona, New Mexico and Texas. Home in spring some time. I’ve points in Wyoming, also apply in MT. And of course at home here in Oregon. Should be a busy fall coming up. Probably hit Africa again in 24.
You earned your retirement go out and enjoy it.

Back