Caribou Gear

Retirement looms

Hank is the guy who has retirement figured out!!! Well done. You are living my dream.
No money , no cares...and the elk come to me.
Bored?
I got a roast in the oven, drove up to the gate to get a gift from a HTer, then up the homestead hill to remove the last of a pinion with my new chainsaw ,with Rio. The saw, a gift from another HTer...,unloaded 10 rounds to split for the fire...
and maybe I'll fall asleep after dinner again and wake up nice & warm, from a hotflash...LOL

As dad would have said, I got it Dicked.

I just worked for a different agency, lets say, and there was surely no consluting with the publick...

No money , no cares...and the elk come to me.
Bored?
I got a roast in the oven, drove up to the gate to get a gift from a HTer, then up the homestead hill to remove the last of a pinion with my new chainsaw ,with Rio. The saw, a gift from another HTer...,unloaded 10 rounds to split for the fire...
and maybe I'll fall asleep after dinner again and wake up nice & warm, from a hotflash...LOL

As dad would have said, I got it Dicked.
...there's a quote that resonates hank.

Anyways, appreciate all the comments and observations. Everyone has their quirks and ways, some get by fine without a care, others can't sit still and still others never figure things out no matter what. Financially, and otherwise, we'll be just fine when I actually pull the trigger. Original plan was to wait till the boy was out of high school, but when I looked at the numbers again it was obvious it just doesn't make sense to keep working. The delta between what my earnings are now vs when in retirement just keeps shrinking. It's almost tempting to take another position somewhere till he's out of HS, I'd be a quadruple dipper :) But, I'm pretty tired of working for others, so no. If not for my wife's asthma, we'd drag up out of here and head to cold country somewhere. There's lots of places prettier than Vegas for sure. We've got other irons in the fire here, too.

I retired in 2012 when company closed down my location. I was offered transfer but at 62 the crossing lines of a transfer made zero sense plus we built a house on 5 acres in recently. I was lucky, offered a really nice golden parachute for almost a year afterwards. My financial plan was 66 but life can change everything. Took the parachute and never looked back. Did some consulting for 2 years but the time away was getting more difficult for my family as well as myself. Closed out that and started to enjoy the finer things in life.
Grandkids!!! I have really enjoyed fishing during the week, boat ramps empty, no crazies out on lake for most part. Bow hunting during week, spots to myself. Rifle range at club all to myself. The list is endless!!! Enjoy each moment and look for new adventures!

I’m only 33 and retirement scares me. I dread being 65 and sitting around. Left to my own devices is a recipe for disaster, my wife has spent 10 years at a full time job wrangling me and has done fairly poorly. There’s a good chance I’ll be on more government watch lists than I am now.

March of 2012 retired. I was 67. 4 years in the Navy, 32 years in industry and 10 years in the grocery business. SS, two pensions and a stock portfolio. Now I have a little part time job to occupy my time. I’m happy, my health is “so so”, not to go into detail. I hunt, but not like I used to, but I shoot at my gun club. I build pretty nice models of ships and aircraft. I have a good wife of 53 years. Most of my memories are good ones.

My best friend is 66 years old. The place where he works is closing the doors for good in two weeks. He is in a bad spot since he has always contended that he will work till the day he dies so he has never prepared for retirement. He can't make it on just SSI and finding a job at age 66 aint easy. It pays to prepare for retirement even if you never plan on doing it.

I work in a field that shaves 20 years off life expectancy. I have one more lap before turning 40 and I have a target retirement age of 56. #1 reason for wanting to get out early is to have some years to hunt, fish, and be outside to my heart’s content. I think about this daily! I also choose to enjoy the here and now and gradually work down my bucket list so if by some chance retirement plans don’t materialize I’ve still lived a fulfilled and blessed life along the way.

When I retired we built a house at the base of the mountains in WY. My dream. My wife is younger so she still works in the medical field. I flyfish, hunt deer, bear, turkey, antelope, and elk... but I still miss my sense of purpose that a career provides.

My advice to the younger folks: Don't hold your breath, don't count the minutes until you retire. Relish and enjoy every single day and find joy in everything... the people you meet and your personal interactions. Share your knowledge and experience and be a positive influence to those around you and those you mentor. What you give of yourself, the examples you set and those people you positively influence are what really matters.
Enjoy every minute of your youth because getting old hurts both physically and emotionally. 🥴😉

My best friend is 66 years old. The place where he works is closing the doors for good in two weeks. He is in a bad spot since he has always contended that he will work till the day he dies so he has never prepared for retirement. He can't make it on just SSI and finding a job at age 66 aint easy. It pays to prepare for retirement even if you never plan on doing it.
My youngest brother did the same. He played hard and planned little. Actually zero planning and he is paying the price now. Retirement comes faster than many think!

Hell, I even retired the ex, who is a weaver. A blonde. But not the friendship.
She still weaves, but on the Central Coast. Not where it gets to zero in the mornings...LOL
Keeping real friendships matters. I still have a few. Friends.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back