Caribou Gear Tarp

Retirement looms

Always remember one important thing. When you retire you can take a nap any time you want!
Unless you always have a bunch of grandkids hanging around the house.

I've even tried to get them to nap with me but soon found out that you can't close your eyes with them there. It is imposable to protect vital body parts if you don't see the knees coming.

First retirement was awesome at first but boredom settled in quick. I went to the part time driver thing, now mostly full time. Average 38-40 hours a week. Only difference is it’s on my terms, if I want the day off I just tell him a few weeks ahead of time. There is no set amount or record keeping of what I am allowed.

Still being younger at 43 with pre teens I have time for a whole nother career. I think this second one will be way more enjoyable than the first.

Wife still has 23 years before she can draw her 401k so who the heck knows when we will actually retire as a couple.

I know to many people that worked "one more year" or til the right age number, then died. Retire when you fi ancially can and when you want to due ti job/life enjoyments
I have a very close lifetime friend that is collecting his full Social Security and still putting in 40+ per week. He's well set to retire but doesn't do much outside of work. I'm very afraid that when he does decide to retire that he's going to become part of his recliner.

Ever since I announced that I was going to retire six years ago people, old enough to retire, tell me they wish they could retire. They all start out saying the same thing, "I would like to retire, but..." I tell them to stop being such a worry wart and to kick that butt out of here.

Ever since I announced that I was going to retire six years ago people, old enough to retire, tell me they wish they could retire. They all start out saying the same thing, "I would like to retire, but..." I tell them to stop being such a worry wart and to kick that butt out of here.
Most folks didn’t think ahead far enough and by the time they did, it was to late. I watched my parents bank everything on a pension. When he finally got it it wasn’t enough to make it. When medical conditions forced both of them to actually retire their struggle was real.

My wife gets in my case about retirement planning as she is 37. Where will we live? I’m already designing ideas of a mostly maintenance free small house we can pay cash for. It’s all annoying to her. But I will be darned if we are going to get into the “but” category and repeat my parent struggle.

Last edited:
Pulled the retirement trigger back in April of this year as did my wife. When I broke the news to the boss and his family his wife made the sort of backhanded comment "How can you retire at 57?!". They have owned/run the family business for almost 30 years and have a lot of nice assets as well as expensive tastes. The problem is that all of their retirement funds are tied to the business and have huge amounts of debt. They both plan on retiring next year at their full retirement age and expect to live on SS while their daughter and son in law take over the business and buy them out.
Meanwhile, I had the foresight to live like a pauper and become debt free. We own our house and vehicles and have no debt other than monthly expenses that fluctuate based on what project I get into or when deer tags become available. We are self sufficient and grow most of our own food and hunting supplements our meat stock. I and my wife are happier now than when we both worked and we get to do things on our schedule. Money isn't the only thing we need in retirement. Security and a good partner make all the difference

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back