Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Retirement looms

The longest employed person for the state of Iowa passed away yesterday. Hed worked for the state for almost 67 years as an engineer with the DOT and then the DNR. He literally worked until the day he died. Don’t be that guy.
If you have any regrets in life when they close the lid on you and drop you down in the ground, one of them probably isn't gonna be "Gee I wish I would have worked another day"

Mandatory retirement from LE at age 55. I Worked part time in LE for another 10 years, plus some time working in the woods. My three pensions equal what I was making when I retired at 55 at the top of the pay grade. I now work part time, at my convenience, delivering auto parts. I have earned a paycheck since I was 13 years old. I like to be busy. No working from mid September to mid December, first two weeks of turkey season, a couple weeks in Quebec fishing walleyes, etc. !! My younger wife is still working, but really enjoys her job, and gets lots of vacation time. Life is great !! Don't just sit around. Keep moving !!

I'll be eligible for early retirement at 55 I'll have 37 years in paid into my pension in my local at that time. Nothing is gauranteed.. I know a ton of guys who go til there 60 or 62 because they don't want to give up the extra 10%. I still plan on working until I physically can't but it will be on my terms and my time pretty much same as @F250. Don't plan on seeing me during hunting season. I don't agree with the guys who plan on doing all there bucket list things in life when they retire nor the guys who are all for the moment. Everything in moderation. (Except hunting of course duh).

Bored? Not on your life!! I wake up every morning around 4:30-5:00 am. I never know what my day will bring. Maybe I'll go work in my shop, complete a project I started. Maybe I'll start a new one. If the weather is decent I might go play tractor. I do minor fabrication and heavy equipment repair for a neighbor. Maybe I'll go hog or squirrel hunting until lunch. I just got my new 30" sawmill yesterday so I'll be working on that today. Maybe I'll go visit a neighbor or 2 that's also retired. Then there's always a little light gunsmithing I can do, and I can always start working up a new load for myself or friends. If course when Nascar is on that takes priority unless something else strikes my fancy or "the boss" comes up with something. No,,, I'm not bored. I think I'll have some breakfast and go out to the shop. It's almost 6am! I'm wasting time! I'm not going to live forever so I gotta get busy. At 70 years old I'm damn sure not going to sit around and rust out. I got shit to do!!!!!!

Bored? Not on your life!! I wake up every morning around 4:30-5:00 am. I never know what my day will bring. Maybe I'll go work in my shop, complete a project I started. Maybe I'll start a new one. If the weather is decent I might go play tractor. I do minor fabrication and heavy equipment repair for a neighbor. Maybe I'll go hog or squirrel hunting until lunch. I just got my new 30" sawmill yesterday so I'll be working on that today. Maybe I'll go visit a neighbor or 2 that's also retired. Then there's always a little light gunsmithing I can do, and I can always start working up a new load for myself or friends. If course when Nascar is on that takes priority unless something else strikes my fancy or "the boss" comes up with something. No,,, I'm not bored. I think I'll have some breakfast and go out to the shop. It's almost 6am! I'm wasting time! I'm not going to live forever so I gotta get busy. At 70 years old I'm damn sure not going to sit around and rust out. I got shit to do!!!!!!
Only 2 months until NASCAR returns!

Was all set to retire at 55, shedding an ex-wife added another 5 years to that (best trade I’ve ever made however) and I pulled the plug at 60. Now 3-1/2 years in I haven’t had time to be bored! Hunting, fishing, travel, grandkids, etc…you can keep as busy as your health, mind, and $$ will accommodate. I found that the only true downtime I have is mid winter so I joined the Sheriff Dept SAR tram and that’s when we do all our annual training so that tied up the that!
Good luck, it’s a good life👍🏻

I am potentially looking at a six year exit plan if things pencil out OK. I’m excited as heck, and not overly worried about things to do. If I get too bored, I’ll go down to my buddies ranch and work part time down there.

Great comments here, lots of commonly held views about retirement expressed, too. My list things being considered: Enhance an existing side gig we've had going for a number of years. Hours spent working on it is minimal but the return is pretty good, and stable. Spend a LOT more time traveling, hunting, fishing. Also excited about a list of home projects I've been putting off forever. A class C RV is on the horizon, too.

My neighbor's son was killed in a tragic event that resulted in him receiving a significant payout. Even after developing a chronic degenerative disease, he continued working as a laborer every day so that his youngest child would learn the lesson of watching their father get up and go to work each morning. I think that's a very wise lesson to teach one's children.

That'll keep me in the workforce until I'm 55, at least, when my daughter graduates high school, but after that I suspect I'll flip houses or something as a hobby to keep myself busy.

We're all different though and have different goals. Good luck to everybody in reaching whatever is the right one for them.

I am penciled out at three and something more years, but my problem is that I am enjoying my job for the first time in my 42 year career. PTO rules have changed, giving me more paid time off, and I am making more money than I ever imagined I would. So going to use that PTO and more, start practicing retirement, and be ready to pull the plug when the time comes. And, it could come sooner, who knows? All my technical books and journals will get donated or recycled, no contracting nor nuttin' after the plug is out. I have too many friends who are retired that have packed calendars to ever think I will get bored.

David
NM

I retired 3 years ago at age 62.
When I was young, I had physical fitness and time but little money.
Midlife due to the job, I lacked the time.
Now retired, the past 3 years have been the best years of my life...
I have time, money, and physical fitness to enjoy life to its fullest.

Nobody knows what tomorrow brings which is basic premise that confirmed my retirement. We can plan all you want but external factors cannot be determined. So IMO, if you feel you have adequate financial plan, consider a life change that you truly cannot understand until you experience it.

Enjoy every moment! Enjoy the new ride!

Most of the bases have been well covered. I retired months before turing 62, ten years ago this coming February. There has not been a boring moment. Initially, there was some anxiety surrounding a lifetime spent preparing for retirement, to stewarding a nest egg in retirement. That disappeared over a period of time.

Bird dogs, horses, grandkids, weight room, elk hunting, etc keep me plenty busy. Retirement has provided the time to better train both my dogs and horses. This past year I helped a young disabled vet learn his way around horses. He is pretty passionate with bird dogs, and wants to try field trialling them in horseback stakes.

Retirement can be a wonderful chapter in life. Many people for various reasons never get a shot at a nice retirement. If you are blessed with the chance at one, make something of it.

Retirement can be a wonderful chapter in life. Many people for various reasons never get a shot at a nice retirement. If you are blessed with the chance at one, make something of it.
You are a great example and offer valuable advice.

I too retired at 62, sixteen years ago and feel blessed to have made the decision. Shortly after that, my wife began to quip, "What about me?" So the next Christmas I gifted her with a financial plan and a budget proposal to allow her retirement. The unanticipated but positive result was a change in our mindset about finances. The budget motivated us to spend even much less than we had calculated and the income was more. We are not wealthy but we have been comfortable. A side benefit was our renewed interest and commitment to exercise, hiking, backpacking, gardening for her, hunting for me. We were able to take our grandkids on many outdoors trips and enjoy their younger years immensely and continuously prior to them getting so involved with adolescent activities.

I echo the words of 406dn, do it; "make something of it".

My SS record is showing I've been at it since 1966. It might be time to enter the ranks of retirement. I've got a problem with being inactive. But I'll learn to live with it, tens of millions of others have, right? Curious to hear what got others here to pull the trigger?
I'm right behind you by a couple years (maybe) and I'm already starting to put the rough outline together on what I want to do. The woke workplace thing is just horse crap, and I'm not buying into it. CA is not a good place to live anymore, with the exception of good offshore fishing, and I want out of this nutty place that wants to electrify everything and tax/fee the hell out of me. The politics and costs to be here, absolutely crappy hunting, crappy inland fishing, insane gun laws have got me ready to pack it up and move to Wyoming to be with my people. So basically, I will be pulling the trigger in a few years and it will be due to the above, and having good finances. I'm definitely starting to put my retirement planning ducks in a row instead of having squirrels at a rave.

I'm just catching back up here. I've been out in the shop intending to work on the sawmill. I got quite a bit done, then one of the guys I hang out with came over. Then a couple other guys came over and we all had a good old bullshit session. I'll get back after it again tomorrow,,, probably.
There's the old saying " How did I ever get all this stuff done when I was working?" My wife gave me an answer. "You used to be a lot faster!"

Back