Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Reloaders and Long Range Shooters

338 win mag

Ok guys I need some advice. My current hunting setup is a Browning A-bolt in 338 win mag. Currently shooting off the shelf Barnes ammo with right around 1.25 moa or a shade bigger groups. I've only shot it out to 350 yards or so and I want to move on out to around 500 or so. Should I plan on working up some good hand loads or stick with box ammo. Buying off the shelf is certainly more convenient but at $50-80 per box it's pricey too. I'd really like to stick with 225 Accubonds or E-tips and my goal is a solid one MOA or better if possible.

For shooting out to 500yds I would not consider using factory ammo of any kind. You might be able to get some that will work fine for you but when will something be changed in it and opens it up?

I prefer to reload as it is cheaper (sometimes significantly, especially with magnums and odd calibers), fun, and it has the potential to give better accuracy. If you have the time and motivation to work up a load, I'd say go for it. Otherwise, 1.25 MOA is great if you want to keep spending a pretty penny on factory loads.

The barnes bullets tend to be picky, their sweet spot is pretty small. 1.25 moa is good for factory but you could probably shrink that up a bit. I know re 19 is very popular for the 338. My dad has an A-bolt in 338 i will ask him what his load is.

For shooting out to 500yds I would not consider using factory ammo of any kind. You might be able to get some that will work fine for you but when will something be changed in it and opens it up?

That's my biggest fear. If I don't check zero with every new box I'm taking that chance.

The barnes bullets tend to be picky, their sweet spot is pretty small. 1.25 moa is good for factory but you could probably shrink that up a bit. I know re 19 is very popular for the 338. My dad has an A-bolt in 338 i will ask him what his load is.

Cool. Yeah I've seen people having good luck with RL17 and 19. Also H4831 and 4350. Thanks

I will always agree with the suggestion to take up handloading. It's fun, you get what you want, and makes all your rifles more interesting/versatile.

That said, how do you plan on compensating for additional range? For stretching things out, I'd pay particular attention to the scope setup.

At extended ranges I'd be more inclined to use the Accubonds over the Barnes.

Something I learned myself and have seen happen several times since i took up reloading is it will make you a better shooter. Not only will accuracy improve by handloading but the process will make you shot more and become much more comfortable shooting. I reload because i am a weatherby guy and makes my shooting WAY cheaper and now i shot a lot and have become comfortable and confident with extending my range. Plus long range ammo with hunting bullets (not match bullets) can be hard to find and expensive to experiment with. Good luck

C

I will always agree with the suggestion to take up handloading. It's fun, you get what you want, and makes all your rifles more interesting/versatile.

That said, how do you plan on compensating for additional range? For stretching things out, I'd pay particular attention to the scope setup.

At extended ranges I'd be more inclined to use the Accubonds over the Barnes.

I have a VX3 now with the cds option. Actually thinking of moving up to a VX5 3x15x56 CDS with the zero stop turret

That's too much scope for that rifle. mtmuley

Better to have too much than not enough haha. The VX3 I have now is around a 1989 model which basically equates it to a VX2 by today's standards. I really like the features of the VX5 also.

Better to have too much than not enough haha. The VX3 I have now is around a 1989 model which basically equates it to a VX2 by today's standards. I really like the features of the VX5 also.

How has the VX3 not met your expectations? As for the VX5 your writing the check so go for it even though I agree with mtmuley it's more scope than you need but hey that's just my opinion. When I write the check then you should pay attention ;)

A case full of RL 19 and a 225 bullet has usually given me 2800-2900 fps with good accuracy in my 338. I also have a 4.5x14x40 VX3 on it, The VX3i is worth a look and a kinder price point than the VX5.

A case full of RL 19 and a 225 bullet has usually given me 2800-2900 fps with good accuracy in my 338. I also have a 4.5x14x40 VX3 on it, The VX3i is worth a look and a kinder price point than the VX5.

I'm thinking of starting with the 19 for powder. I have a vx3i on another rifle and it seems to be good glass. Like the 30mm tube, illuminated reticle, and new style cds turret on the vx5. Make look at the 3i in that 4.5-14. Currently have a couple 3.5-10's and it seems as if something with a little more magnification would help on past 400 yards

Why 56 mm? I have a few VX-2's, and by my standards, they aren't too bad. mtmuley

Not completely married to the idea if the 56mm but I know it will help with those first and last few minutes of shooting light. That's to say I have a vx2 and two vx3's that serve me well also

How has the VX3 not met your expectations? As for the VX5 your writing the check so go for it even though I agree with mtmuley it's more scope than you need but hey that's just my opinion. When I write the check then you should pay attention ;)

Not that my vx3's haven't served me well at all. Seems by the time you add illuminated reticle, 30mm tube, and increase magnification I'm almost at the price of the vx5

I just put a 3.5x10 40mm vx3 with cds on a new AR build. I had no problem hitting 500yds this weekend with factory ammo. When I get some handloads together and figure out my ballistics, I feel confident I can hit 800 yds with no problem. Very clear, crisp glass. I thought I would regret not getting the 14x, but I had crosshairs on steel at 1000 yds, 24x24 target, and it was solid.

As far as handloading, you won't save money, but you'll shoot a lot more for the same amount. I like the satisfaction of fine tuning a load, and harvesting an animal with a cartridge I produced. Just adds a little more to my hunting experience.

Back