Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

T/C Compass 300 Win Mag, Leupold VX-5HD, APA Gen 3 brake, initial report

LaSportsman

So a month ago I set out to find a good shooting rifle in 300 Win Mag under $500 understanding regardless the stock wouldn't be great. Did not go cheap on the glass or muzzle brake. Really impressed so far. This may just be a range rifle to mess around but having fun doing so.

Here's the final setup:
- T/C Compass 300 Win Mag
- APA Little Bastard Gen 3 Muzzle Brake
- Leupold VX-5HD 3-15x44 scope
- DNZ Game Reaper base and rings

Thought process:
I wanted a bolt lock or 3 position safety and a threaded barrel. I would have bought the Game King Howa if it could have been bought without the combo since the scope in that package is crap. I ruled out Ruger American because from YouTube it seemed a fair number of people were struggling to get groups better than 2 MOA. I really like the Weatherby Vanguard or Browning A-Bolt but didn't want to bump up to that price range. If I settle on 300 Win Mag for long term I will look in the $1,000-$1,500 range in a couple years. My work schedule isn't going to allow time to hunt the next two years anyway. I have a left over archery cow that for this fall and that will be it.

I settled on the T/C Compass after seeing several YouTubers get close to MOA with factory ammo and sub MOA with reloads. I decided to go with original over the Compass II to get the adjustable trigger. I changed out the springs with the M-Carbo kit. I would have bought a Venture for a slightly better stock but couldn't find one in stock and didn't want to wait.

I did do a barrel break in, cleaning after every shot for first 15, then groups of two and then four - a fouling shot and a 3 round group. I was impressed that even clean bore shots were grouping well. They were all clean bore shots so perhaps that helped.

Today was second day at the range and made it to the 3 round groups shooting Federal Fusion and Remington Core-Lokts. I only did one 3 round group each due to time after break-in and barrel cooling. It liked the Remington's better with the group at 1.125" The Federal Group was 2"

Reviews:

T/C Compass
Pros:
- Groups with Core-Lokts, at least so far.
- Trigger is good enough after MCarbo kit
- 5R rifling - like it so far
- Manual feeding at range is easy
- bolt is reasonably smooth for $300 rifle

Cons:
- I did have a problem with the magazine inserting a few times.
- Have not had problems with stock shooting off a rest and rear bag but a bipod would probably cause problems.
- I mostly used the safety in fire or center position safe with bolt unlocked. With safe on/bolt locked it is awkward to cycle it to fire.

Leupold VX-5HD 3-15x44
- amazingly clear. Will transfer to next rifle or I'll buy a second one. Buy this scope and you won't be disappointed.

DNZ Game Reaper
- Compass had a two piece base which the Game Reaper replaced for better alignement.
- Installing base is easy. Tightening the top rings is a bit clumsy because they don't touch the bottom and it's tough to get even on both sides.
- The combination of a quality Leupold Scope and the Game Reaper, I didn't have to adjust windage at all after bore sighting.

APA Gen 3 Little Bastard Muzzle Brake
- Does not require a gunsmith for install. Major pro
- Gen 3 has 8 tunable top ports to control muzzle movement left and right to keep barrel on target. I'm still tinkering to find best combination but I'm close enough that I can spot my own shots. Impressive, particularly with 300 Win Mag.

Next test will be seeing how the stock performs with a Bog Pod.

TC Compass Remington Core-Lokt-1.JPG

Last edited:
What is your assessment of felt recoil after installing the brake?

I checked out APA because they were at the top of the list for brakes used by competitive shooters. When I learned their brake does not require a gunsmith to install it and time it, the decision was easy. The Compass sporter barrel would be a better match for the APA Answer which is designed for smaller contour barrels but the 5/8-24 threads were only offered on Gen 3 Little Bastard.

I will say the tuning ports are amazing even though I'm not quite dialed in. Breaking in a barrel, sighting a scope, and tuning a brake, I would get distracted and only adjust it every few shots. When I started, the barrel would jump a few yards left of target (at 100 yards) I eventually got it moving right of target and right now I'm a few feet left but can see impact on a steel target.

Great info. Thanks for the review. I've been contemplating which Leupold I should buy...the VX-5HD looks sweet!

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NMArcheryCoues24
Back