Reloaders and Long Range Shooters

I think you'll find the magnums can be consideraliby cheaper to handload verses buying good custom ammo for long distance shooting.
I really have been impressed with the velocities and accuracy I have with the Reloader 17 powder and 200gr. accubond.

I think the 338. win mag really benefits from reloading to get true porformance and versatility.

Last edited:
I just put a 3.5x10 40mm vx3 with cds on a new AR build. I had no problem hitting 500yds this weekend with factory ammo. When I get some handloads together and figure out my ballistics, I feel confident I can hit 800 yds with no problem. Very clear, crisp glass. I thought I would regret not getting the 14x, but I had crosshairs on steel at 1000 yds, 24x24 target, and it was solid.

I have that same scope on my 308 AR and it is a nice piece of glass. I have an older vx3 on the gun now which I sent back to leupold a couple years ago and had them add the cds feature. I may just get a dial made and run it for a while and put the money towards powder and bullets

Last edited:
I think the 338. win mag really benefits from reloading to get true porformance and versatility.

That's kind of my thoughts. I figure if I'm getting near 1 moa from box ammo that I should be able to shrink those groups even more by reloading. I don't expect consistent half moa but any improvement is a good thing. Thanks!

I think you'll find the magnums can be consideraliby cheaper to handload verses buying good custom ammo for long distance shooting.
I really have been impressed with the velocities and accuracy I have with the Reloader 17 powder and 200gr. accubond.

From what I've read, lots of people are using 17 and 19. I did read somewhere that those powders may have some temperature sensitivity but that doesnt mean it's true. Used to have a friend load partitions for this gun and his go-to was always H4350 but I think I may try either 17 or 19 or both with some Accubonds

Start with good glass you can get a good 4-16 power vortex viper HS for around 500 bucks on amazon.

Last edited:
Back