Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Election gun buying, 300wsm suggestions tips and substitutions

My Creedbro shoots monos quite well.
But do you trust it to get proper expansion around 500 with a 130gr + mono? I would be worried. I like it for what it is intended to do Im just not sold on it.

500yd,
elk,
mono,
6.5 creedmoor
Pick 3 but you can't have all 4.

Thanks for the thoughtful response especially on the sako. Its a beautiful rifle I just don't want to try and get longer mono bullets to stabilize in a 11 twist otherwise it would be on the short list.
What weight mono bullets are you considering?

Depending on what you want to spend you can pretty easily get a tikka pre-fit barrel in whatever twist you want. I've been noodling on buying a tikka in 30-06 and throwing a pre fit 280AI carbon barrel on it, if you sell off the original barrel you might be able to get that combo under $1k.

But do you trust it to get proper expansion around 500 with a 130gr + mono? I would be worried. I like it for what it is intended to do Im just not sold on it.

500yd,
elk,
mono,
6.5 creedmoor
Pick 3 but you can't have all 4.
I shoot Hammers out of it. If I recall correctly, I have enough downrange velocity for reliable expansion out to 600 yards. My farthest shot with it so far is 400 yards, DRT. If I was going to consistently shoot at elk at 500 yards, it's probably not the first rifle I'd pick up.

You might also visit Cooper, they are close to you--semi close anyway. they have a 280 A.I. with a 1-9 twist out of a 24 inch barrel

and as I was typing this I remembered the the Nosler 28,, they are also 1-9 and that would reach out there for you.

If you consider Hill Country, have Harley drive down and meet you for a drink or two at one of the outdoors bars along River Walk, that would be fun for both of you and I will buy! I know a fellow there and I will have him run a tab

Best of luck on the new rifle and whatever you and it hunts !

In .308 probably the 168-180. I have a lot of 168 ttsx and want to try a few others.
In .284 I would look in the 130-160 range.
Just for what it’s worth my kimber shot the 180 Nosler e-tips factory ammo, really well.. i Know Every rifle isn’t the same though

If you are open to other makes/models, I'd give the Tikka T3 a hard look in the WSM.
I’ll second this. The newer T3x has a better factory stock than the original T3 that seemed pretty cheap and hollow. I’ve got a T3x Lite Stainless in 300WSM. Shot close to .5 MOA right out of the box. I added a Limbsaver recoil pad to it which made a significant difference in felt recoil. I also prefer a lighter trigger, so I adjusted that down to about 2-1/4# (I think it was about 3# out of the box). I’ve also bought a B&C aftermarket stock for it, but have not as yet put it on.

Some say that kimber is better than it was but I do worry about getting a gun that won't shoot.
The tikka t3 is at the top of my list but the long action was where my hesitation started. I also think the stock on the kimber would be better The tikka just has such an impeccable reputation for accuracy and its priced well.
Thanks for bringing the mag length of the 280ai to my attention.
Even if one has to rebarrel, I think the Kimber is a killer deal. That said, I bet it will shoot well enough...

Regarding action lengths and the Tikka, I stole the following off another site:
Short action rifles (except the Tikka which uses one action for everything)
Ruger M77 .223 - 3 1/2" bolt throw, action length 5 1/2"
Ruger M77 .308 - 4" bolt throw, action length 5 1/2" (obviously same as the .223 action)
Ruger American .22-250 - 3 7/8 bolt throw, action length 5 1/2"

Remington .308 - 3 3/4" bolt throw, 5 1/2" action length (I don't have a .223 Remington to check)

Tikka T3 .223 - 3 3/4" bolt throw, action length 6 3/8"
Tikka T3x .260 - 3 7/8" bolt throw, action length 6 3/8"

FWIW, a couple of true long actions:
Ruger M77 .25-06 - bolt throw 4 3/8", action length 6 1/8"
Model 700 .270 - 4 5/8" bolt throw, action length 6 3/8"
USRAC Model 70 .30-06 - 4 1/4 bolt throw, action length 6 3/8"
The Tikka is just shy of 1" longer than a 700 short action. Though my wife may disagree, I'd say that 1" isn't enough to fret over...

Tikka Lite 300WSM can be had for about $800. A Kimber MT is about $1400. To about even out the price difference a Hells Canyon Armory mag and a new stock could be put on the Tikka.

Either one would work great. It'd probably boil down to preferences like blind mag vs detachable; 3 pos safety vs 2; how they feel to you; etc...

Even if one has to rebarrel, I think the Kimber is a killer deal. That said, I bet it will shoot well enough...

Regarding action lengths and the Tikka, I stole the following off another site:

The Tikka is just shy of 1" longer than a 700 short action. Though my wife may disagree, I'd say that 1" isn't enough to fret over...

Tikka Lite 300WSM can be had for about $800. A Kimber MT is about $1400. To about even out the price difference a Hells Canyon Armory mag and a new stock could be put on the Tikka.

Either one would work great. It'd probably boil down to preferences like blind mag vs detachable; 3 pos safety vs 2; how they feel to you; etc...
Thanks.
I really like the tikka but just realized they are also 11 twist. Now I'm back to the kimber because I don't want to rebarrel and sell parts of a new rifle if I can avoid it.
Most. 308 cal 168gr and up monos ask for a 10 twist or better.

Last edited:
Thanks.
I really like the tikka but just realized they are also 11 twist now I'm back to the kimber because I don't want to rebarrel and sell parts of a new rifle if I can avoid it.
Most. 308 cal 168gr and up monos ask for a 10 twist or better.
Sakos are also listed as 1:11, but for some reason my Finnlight’s three favorite bullets are the 200 ELDX, 200 Accubond, and 180 TTSX, which I believe all have a listed minimum twist of 1:10. It’s a little puzzling.

Sakos are also listed as 1:11, but for some reason my Finnlight’s three favorite bullets are the 200 ELDX, 200 Accubond, and 180 TTSX, which I believe all have a listed minimum twist of 1:10. It’s a little puzzling.
Perhaps because they are moving fast and at altitude IDK?

Have a 700 Custom 300 WSM that cost too much money....SA Mag action, won't feed more than one down for chit but prints clovers. Doesn't perform any better than a Sako 85 Stnlss/Syn 300 WSM I gifted to my son that feeds flawlessly. Kills everything near and far, pleasure to carry. That said I still prefer tinkering with Long Action 700's professionaly married to 26" Lilja bbls with Mickey furniture sending circa 180 g Hammers or Scenars.

I have a Kimber Montana in .300 WSM that I picked up used here on HuntTalk a few years back. It shoots several mono's under an inch with factory loads. For some reason it likes the 165's better than the 180's (the 180s are decent but not under an inch). I've been very happy with it.

I have a Kimber Montana in .300 WSM that I picked up used here on HuntTalk a few years back. It shoots several mono's under an inch with factory loads. For some reason it likes the 165's better than the 180's (the 180s are decent but not under an inch). I've been very happy with it.
So is pay pal ok? Or.....

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back