Election gun buying, 300wsm suggestions tips and substitutions

Elkmagnet

So after cuddling up to an ar15 and blocking our president on Twitter I was able to get some sleep last night. Interestingly I awoke with an urge to buy a new hunting rifle.
I have been contemplating one for a couple of years because I am seeing the groups in my browning A bolt medallion 300 win mag get bigger every year. (Reloads were sub moa are now 2 moa) I have a few thousand rounds through it and it was used when I got it 19 years ago. It also recently had a horse wreck that cracked the stock and frankly it doesn't fit my style of hunting anymore. It has been a great gun and has a lot of sentimental value but I feel its time to move on. I don't want to spend money on a new stock and face an imminent rebarrel that is problematic being an A bolt.

That said I am really thinking about a 300 wsm or maybe a 280ai....
First what I am wanting in a gun is a hunting rifle that can be carried easily enough on a horse. Not really into long shots but I want something that will reliably expand mono bullets at 500 yards. Im probably going to start loads with barnes lrx bullets. I am not recoil shy and have substantial trigger time so I would also like the gun to be sub 7.5#.
I am currently picking 300wsm for its performance in a 24" barrel its short action and the fact that I have a good stash of .30 cal projectiles and powders that may work well. The 26" barrel on my 300wm is one of the things that I want to move away from.
I want a gun with enough twist to stabilize higher b.c. monos if possible.

My current favorite is the kimber montana in 300wsm.
24" 1 in 10 barrel and an action that is tailored to the wsm cartridges.
Although I'm wondering about the mag c.o.a.l. limit with mono bullets?

Close second kimber montana in 280ai because it sounds cool and should do what Im asking.

Third is the winchester M70 AW SS in 300 wsm.
1# heavier but looks solid and should be right for the 300 wsm design!? 1 in 10 24" tube

All seem to have ok twist rates but I wish I could get an off the shelf rifle with a fast twist.
I haven't held the m70 Awss and it has been a few years since I had a montana in my hands
I probably won't be able to hold either because nobody seems to stock guns right now.
I will probably put my loupe vx5hd on it unless it throws the balance/look way off.

Please critique my thoughts and give suggestions.
Different cal?
Different make or model?

Last edited:
"Close second kimber montana in 280ai because it sounds cool and should do what Im asking."

This assertion hit my rorschach/tourette spot....

Better get something you really want now, damn the cost. There is a good chance that ammo and firearm accessories will be controlled so tight that it will be worthless unless you use it as a club... They can't stop you from owning the gun, but they can make it so you can't use it. Just a thought and YMMV.

Better get something you really want now, damn the cost. There is a good chance that ammo and firearm accessories will be controlled so tight that it will be worthless unless you use it as a club... They can't stop you from owning the gun, but they can make it so you can't use it. Just a thought and YMMV.
Although Im not as worried I do wonder about brass availability in both calibers and how the election will influence it.

From the choices you listed, I'd go with the 300WSM Kimber MT. The 280AI can be limited on mag length with some bullets in the Kimber. IMO, if you get a good one, the MT in 300WSM is a darn good one stop shop NA critter getter.

If you are open to other makes/models, I'd give the Tikka T3 a hard look in the WSM. Hell's Canyon Armory makes a metal magazine that is designed for the Tikka/WSM combo and would be a good upgrade. I know the Tikka's aren't "short actions" but comparing their action length to others makes it apparent that aren't really "long"...

, if you get a good one, the MT in 300WSM is a darn good one stop shop NA critter getter.
Some say that kimber is better than it was but I do worry about getting a gun that won't shoot.
The tikka t3 is at the top of my list but the long action was where my hesitation started. I also think the stock on the kimber would be better The tikka just has such an impeccable reputation for accuracy and its priced well.
Thanks for bringing the mag length of the 280ai to my attention.

So by modifying the bolt stop and using the hells canyon mag the tikka in 300wsm can be loaded to 3.380" that really opens up a lot of options.
The 1 in 10 twist really becomes the limit.

Elkmagnat. The previous posters have given you better advise than I can but thought I would mention that in addition to the rifles already mentioned--Kimber, Tikka,

The Sako Finnlight 85 offers a 300wsm with a-11 twist in a 24 inch barrel and I have found Sako's to work well

You also mentioned a horse. You could look for a Browning BLR. They came in both 300wsm and 7mmwsm ( of course only the 300 will let you shoot 180's but they both shoot 150's ) From memory they are 1-10 and 22 inch. When I think horse back hunting, a lever always comes to mind and they will reach out to 300 plus real easy
I recently suggested this company to another member . Hill Country Rifles in Texas will sell you either a 300wsm or 280A.I., but they will have a 24 inch barrel with a 1-10. Maybe you could get less ( barrel length ) on a 280 A.I. but if you go less you might want to consider adding a suppressor --or not

Just a couple of thoughts. I am always reluctant to contribute as the gentlemen here have far more knowledge than I

Best of luck

Last edited:
My son has the Model 70 EW SS in 300 WSM and it sure it a great rifle.

I have a Model 70 I made into a 280AI and I sure love it. 3230 fps with Nosler 140 gr. Partitions & 3186 fps with the 140 gr. Accubonds. Haven't tried the Nosler E-tip in it yet. If you are thinking of shooting monos you need to also give the E-tips a try. Great bullet!! My son used his 6mm Remington shooting a 90 gr. Nosler E-tip to take his first elk a cow at 350 yards, one shot!

The Sako Finnlight 85 offers a 300wsm with a-11 twist in a 24 inch barrel and I have found Sako's to work well
Thanks for the thoughtful response especially on the sako. Its a beautiful rifle I just don't want to try and get longer mono bullets to stabilize in a 11 twist otherwise it would be on the short list.

I have a Kimber Mountain Ascent in 300 wsm very similar to the Montana but I love mine and would recommend them to anyone, I hear a ton of people complain about Kimbers not being accurate but from what I’ve gathered and talking to others I think a lot of it comes down to light weight rifles are harder to shoot accurately until you get used to them. I have 2 Kimbers 1 Hunter which is the cheaper model And it shot lights out right out of the box. Then when I bought the mountain ascent I had a little trouble until I got used to how the rifle shoots and focusing on my shots. But now that I’ve gotten used to it accuracy is not an issue. Another thing that really throws off the accuracy with these guns is how fast the barrel heats up. For me my groups start to open up quite a bit when I’m putting a lot of rounds through it. But for hunting situations this has little to no effect. That’s my 2 cents but I wouldn’t steer away from a kimber in 300 wsm and is actually my favorite rifle I own.

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgeary
Back