Recipes

noharleyyet

Have recently started dabbling with reloading. Am currently at the stage of having some loads made up by a friend and trying to absorb the process. Right now we're working up some 300 win mag using 180 accubonds.

Much obliged for any info for comparison.

I havent loaded much for the 300 winchester since my grandfather passed away...but in his rifle I used 72.0 grains of IMR4831 and 180 grain partitions, used WW brass exclusively and also cci 250 magnum rifle primers.

I know you hear everyone say that their rifles shoot moa or better...but gramps rifle was clearly sub-moa. I cant ever remember shooting a 100 yard 3-shot group that was over an inch...but plenty that were less, some a lot less.

If I were so inclined, I think that rifle could be a real long-range terror.

The rifle in question...with a WT doe that gramps shot in the neck at a pinch over 100 yards (he almost always shot deer in the head or neck, despite my complaining). Worth noting, later that same day he killed a cow elk at just shy of 200 yards...again through the neck.

Gramps was a character...and then some.

grampswtdoe.JPG

Last edited:
My neighbor just got his FFL, and is dabbling now too. I love the idea of relaoding vs $45 - $60 / box of 20?! They last me a while, but I would shoot more if it was not so costly. Anyway - would like him to be my go to guy for buying / loading ammo, as he is 2 doors down. It'd be fun to experiment with new loads, I shoot NP out of the 06/300/ and 338. Been hard to beat.

NHY,

Another powder the 180's liked was H870, but I dont think they make it anymore. If they do, I can definately look it up in my loading data.

I don't know if this will help or not... I reload for my dad and both of my kids and here are some similar loads I use:

300 WinMag 165gr Barnes TSX 72gr IMR 4831
300 WinMag 180gr Barnes TSX 75gr RL22
300 WinMag 180gr Nosler Ballistic Tips 70gr IMR 4831

30.06 150gr Nosler AccuBonds 59gr IMR 4350

.308 150gr Nosler AccuBonds 46.5gr Varget

.270 140gr Nosler AccuBonds 51gr IMR 4350

I also use Federal 210 and 215 primers. I have experimented a lot with these particular calibers and found all of these to shoot at or under 1" groups (3 shots) at 100 yards. You may have to adjust how deep you seat your bullets to get an accurate load also. I've never loaded AccuBonds for the .300 WinMag because the other loads have always been so outstanding, but maybe the above can help you find a starting point.

Good luck and good shooting!

Your gramps and my dad were cut from the same cloth. Neck/head shots. Only thing is, that mom would rag on him for blowing up the neck meat because she always made and canned mincemeat from the necks. The rifle that dad was most deadly with was his .300 Savage. After it got to be a little too much for him he switched to a 22-250 which he was REAL deadly with. Still have quite a few handload rounds for each that my cousin used to build for him.
No clue what he was using and will never know as he missed a curve on a gravel road he had driven all his life (booze). What a frigging waste.

I havent loaded much for the 300 winchester since my grandfather passed away...but in his rifle I used 72.0 grains of IMR4831 and 180 grain partitions, used WW brass exclusively and also cci 250 magnum rifle primers.

I know you hear everyone say that their rifles shoot moa or better...but gramps rifle was clearly sub-moa. I cant ever remember shooting a 100 yard 3-shot group that was over an inch...but plenty that were less, some a lot less.

If I were so inclined, I think that rifle could be a real long-range terror.

The rifle in question...with a WT doe that gramps shot in the neck at a pinch over 100 yards (he almost always shot deer in the head or neck, despite my complaining). Worth noting, later that same day he killed a cow elk at just shy of 200 yards...again through the neck.

Gramps was a character...and then some.

grampswtdoe.JPG

We are loading 72 gr. IMR 4831 180 Accubonds with once fired Federal brass.

Just finished some 7 mag 140 gr. TTSX. Convinced me that handload repeat accuracy claims are the real deal. Will post the mixture.

7 mag; once fired and virgin brass, 67.3 gr. Win 780, WLRM primer. 140 gr Tipped TSX

Ruger #1

Thanks all for the info...

NIce pic and story Buzz.

Get back with me when you're gonna experiment in the '06, X57, '08 rounds......the only Mags I've played with were the 7mm Rem & .338 Win.

I just worked up a killer load for my Ruger m77 300 win mag. I'm using 73 gr of imr 4831 168 gr Berger 250 cci mag primers once fired hornady brass. .75 in group at 200yds.

I am very excited about this load. We are going on a elk, muley and bear combo hunt oct 19 and I'm ready to take some long shots.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hamms12oz
Back