Hornady 7 PRC a Lie?

I got no dog in this fight, but 140-168s in 7mm have been killing the biggest critters short of dangerous game without any issue for a very long time.

Marketing hype for heavy/high bc stuff is also real.

My favorite bullet in 7mm is the 143 hammer and I’ve got no doubts it’ll kill anything in North America
Its not marketing hype that those bullets will be garbage in comparision at 500 yards and beyond.

I like long range shooting, practicing, and hunting with all the same bullet/load. High quality, high bc, heavy, low expansion velocity bullets provides that comfortably.

Last edited:
Its not marketing hype that those bullets will be garbage in comparision at 500 yards and beyond.

I like long range shooting, practicing, and hunting with all the same bullet/load. High quality, high bc, heavy, low expansion velocity bullets provides that comfortably.
Can’t argue with that. I do not hunt or shoot past 400 usually, so I’m content with what has worked. Even when I go back home to my parents and have access to the 850 yard range, I’m not likely to switch bullets.

Exactly. More hype than anything. There was a survey on LRH I think that showed even hunters on that site kept shots under 500 yards. In the high 90's percentile I believe. mtmuley
eh - more to do with interests.

My rifles do a lot more than hunt. Ever shoot steel at 1k?

If you want to shoot long range 7 prc > 7 rm unless you have a custom chamber.
Someone should tell that to the 6 dasher guys winning matches shooting 2850 when they can get 3k with a 6 creedmore in the same bullet.

Lot more to shooting long range than fastest velocity and highest bc.

I was shooting 7mm 168 vlds beyond 1k long before the 7prc came along to make it possible.

Someone should tell that to the 6 dasher guys winning matches shooting 2850 when they can get 3k with a 6 creedmore in the same bullet.

Lot more to shooting long range than fastest velocity and highest bc.

I was shooting 7mm 168 vlds beyond 1k long before the 7prc came along to make it possible.
what about 7 rm is better?

Not a damn thing. Other than fudlore, "it works", and dumbarses thinking that belt at the bottom of the case does something besides making reloading suck.

Not a damn thing. Other than fudlore, "it works", and dumbarses thinking that belt at the bottom of the case does something besides making reloading suck.
Wow. Tell Doublecluck all about why don't you? mtmuley

Wow. Tell Doublecluck all about why don't you? mtmuley
Its objective.

If owned a 7rm - id tell you that its got its own advantages over 7 prc (availability, speed with lighter bullets). None of them include superior performance long range - including and especially with factory rifles and ammo.

Last edited:

lol! your all caught up in the fan boy club huh? I could care less, I’m not saying it’s better. Piece of steel or an elk standing at 1k wouldn’t know the difference.

168 vld out of my factory 7rm

180 eldm out of my prc if (if I could get 3000).

Like I said earlier 7prc makes a lot of sense for a lot of people, certainly those who don’t reload and shoot boxes.

IMG_1889.pngIMG_1890.png

That belt has had zero effect on my life in the 5000+ rds I’ve reloaded.

Here’s how far I could load them if I wanted. Looks like about 3/8” more with a custom reamer. IMG_1893.jpeg

Case capacity 7rm 82
Case capacity 7prc 73

It’s always the wind that gets me not the elevation the drop isn’t a big deal but that wind at a grand would be

It’s always the wind that gets me not the elevation the drop isn’t a big deal but that wind at a grand would be
I’m not that great, the relationship of wind/BC/velocity at and past 1k usually translates in to something like this. Oops! Little more wind.

lol! your all caught up in the fan boy club huh? I could care less, I’m not saying it’s better. Piece of steel or an elk standing at 1k wouldn’t know the difference.

168 vld out of my factory 7rm

180 eldm out of my prc if (if I could get 3000).

Like I said earlier 7prc makes a lot of sense for a lot of people, certainly those who don’t reload and shoot boxes.

View attachment 321763View attachment 321765

That belt has had zero effect on my life in the 5000+ rds I’ve reloaded.

Here’s how far I could load them if I wanted. Looks like about 3/8” more with a custom reamer. View attachment 321766

Case capacity 7rm 82
Case capacity 7prc 73
Compare load data. All that extra case capacity gets you... less velocity? Shorter fatter cases providing more powder efficiency is nothing new.

Again - it is objective that the case design for 7 prc is superior from the start for long range shooting. You can get different twists, different throat lengths, and make it very similar.

Im not trying to say that 7 prc is miles ahead. It isnt. Its incrementally improved with modern engineering.

If i owned a 7rm - theres no way id get rid of it to get a PRC.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240406_110032_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240406_110032_Chrome.jpg
    498.2 KB · Views: 10
  • Screenshot_20240406_110017_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240406_110017_Chrome.jpg
    616.9 KB · Views: 10
Compare load data. All that extra case capacity gets you... less velocity? Shorter fatter cases providing more powder efficiency is nothing new.

Again - it is objective that the case design for 7 prc is superior from the start for long range shooting. You can get different twists, different throat lengths, and make it very similar.

Im not trying to say that 7 prc is miles ahead. It isnt. Its incrementally improved with modern engineering.

If i owned a 7rm - theres no way id get rid of it to get a PRC.

You have to admit there is some great marketing going on here. No less than 10 guys told me I should do a 7 prc over a 28 Nosler for xyz..blah blah! But hey I’m not complaining about 80$ ADG clearance brass or 195’s in stock.

According to Hornady 7prc
175 Gr 2950 is more realistic
180 Gr 2900 maybe

IMG_1900.jpeg

In the 168 class bullets they are essentially the same. At sammi coal’s.

IMG_1898.jpegIMG_1899.jpeg

There are piles of guys out there getting more than advertised out of the 7rm.

In an off the shelf go buy a box of ammo situation, and especially since Hornady seems to be the only one consistently producing ammo. Hands down the 7prc is a better option.

You have to admit there is some great marketing going on here. No less than 10 guys told me I should do a 7 prc over a 28 Nosler for xyz..blah blah! But hey I’m not complaining about 80$ ADG clearance brass or 195’s in stock.

According to Hornady 7prc
175 Gr 2950 is more realistic
180 Gr 2900 maybe

View attachment 321780

In the 168 class bullets they are essentially the same. At sammi coal’s.

View attachment 321781View attachment 321784

There are piles of guys out there getting more than advertised out of the 7rm.

In an off the shelf go buy a box of ammo situation, since Hornady seems to be the only one consistently producing ammo. Hands down the 7prc is the better option.
I dont think "better marketing" is the ABSOLUTE answer of why some things sell better. It sure helps if you compare the same bullet weights.

The nosler cartridges are of little to no interest to me. They dont really do much that existing 375 h&h based magnums dont already do pretty much the same. If your 7rm rifle is twisted correctly, you change the mag box to the longer aics, if you handload. My 03 gmc is better than a new truck - if i change a lot about it!

I guess the guys at choice ammo are in on the marketing trick too - somehow the prc is faster again with less powder. Maybe they are in bed with that utard lawyer, hornady, and everyone else on this conspiracy.

I will say - theres not really a "need" for a new cartridge. Incrementally small improvements.

I dont think "better marketing" is the ABSOLUTE answer of why some things sell better.

The nosler cartridges are of little to no interest to me. They dont really do much that existing 375 h&h based magnums dont already do pretty much the same. If your 7rm rifle is twisted correctly, you change the mag box to the longer aics, if you handload. My 03 gmc is better than a new truck - if i change a lot about it!

I guess the guys at choice ammo are in on the marketing trick too - somehow the prc is faster again with less powder. Maybe they are in bed with that utard lawyer, hornady, and everyone else on this conspiracy.

I will say - theres not really a "need" for a new cartridge. Incrementally small improvements.
36 fps? mtmuley

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back