Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Quote your first post

Back in 2012 I was wondering why MT's EMP was trying so hard to reduce elk numbers. Glad MT got that all sorted out in the last decade.

thusby said:
I've drawn the deer tag with 0 points for the past 4 years now. This year with a group of 2. Like brownbear said, I don't know if I can justify the added expense of a PP system on top of the tag price. If you start down the PP system you will also be locked in the next time they raise tag prices, which happens to be fairly frequently. You could end up with $1000+ deer tag over the next few years.

There are a lot of deer in Montana but there aren't exactly a lot of monsters roaming.

Jesus, if only I had know where that was headed...

If this doesn't feel like forever ago, I don't know what does.

Hi,

first post, so excuse my butting in. I was at the meeting yesterday, and Spotted Dog went through unanimously. Next steps are the NRD portion, and securing the grant funding for the project. That meeting is August 15th, at Fairmont Hot Springs. I'd be happy to post the agenda, etc, when I get it. In all, the Powell County Planning Commission supported the acquisition, Hellgate Hunters and Anglers out of Missoula supported it, and the Montana Wildlife Federation supported it. No opposition testimony was heard. I imagine that the folks who are opposed will try and stop the funding from NRD rather than at the FWP Commission level.

Also, both conservation easements went through, and they adopted some changes to the fisheries component. I missed the big game licence portion of the meeting.

Great site,

Ben Lamb
Conservation Director for State and National Issues
Montana Wildlife Federation

April 13, 2012...
Festus wrote:
Good afternoon, gentlemen.
I've been reading this site for some time now and decided to sign up and join in...
I'm from back East :eek: but me and a couple buddies have been 'trying our luck' out West the last couple years. Been to CO, ID, and WY. Killed a couple smaller bulls and a deer or two but thought we'd try MT this year. Got elk/deer tags. We have horses and were planning a backcountry hunt (or trying to). Any advice on the Bob Marshall or the Absoroka-Beartooth wildernesses? Not afraid to get off the beaten path. Talking to as many people as we can to try to pick an area and maybe plan a summer scouting trip. We are kinda green to hunting out West (compared to yall) but if I can offer anything back, I sure would be willing to share ideas.
Look forward to telling stories (mostly true) and share pics with yall...

Havin trouble uploading pics also???? Stupid computer...

Didn't even post in 'Who am I' - first time ever on a forum or anything.
With all the advice I received from this, I finally got into the Bob in 2019!

August 31, 2005

Anyone remember Moosie's "Life Changing News" post?

Did you finally get those back stage passes to the Prince Concert...well whatever it is good luck.

Yeah Moosie, I finally joined.

Aaron

I'm guessing that Moosie told me to join HT after he and I chatted a few times on MonsterMuleys.

I looked and this was the earliest post I could find. For some reason I don't have any posts for nearly 1.5 years after I joined. I was still pretty active on the Accurate Reloading Forums. Reading what i posted over there makes me cringe

The topic still valid as we continue to hear of guys getting bust for shooting animals in the wrong unit or not tagging animals.

I'll admit hunting shows aren't my cup o'tea but when the guide said they were hunting bighorns in the MT Breaks I had to watch. I am watching the Pursuit Channel's "Hittin' the Outdoors" and the guide has blatantly violated Montana's Hunter Orange requirements by not wearing any. :mad: At first the host wasn't wearing any orange but from one shot to another he magically had orange on.

About a year ago, "The Best of the West" also aired a show where they were rifle hunting bear in MT and all the shooters were without Hunter Orange. That time I called the MT FWP and gave them the information...I haven't heard anything back from FWP on that call which I assume means they could care less.

Am I just grumpy or do I have a legitimate gripe?

https://www.hunttalk.com/threads/game-violations-on-hunting-shows.246099/

Last edited:
I was 'that guy.' However, in my defense I was asking because I was pretty sure I had deer hunted that area before and had been in some of the exact spots filmed. I'm serious, the exact spot Randy was standing......... I'm not just trying to fix my tarnished reputation.🥺
Signed,
That Guy
First response to my first post was the man himself calling me out...... politely of course.

Last edited:
I was 'that guy.' However, in my defense I was asking because I was pretty sure I had deer hunted that area before and had been in some of the exact spots filmed. I'm serious, the exact spot Randy was standing......... I'm not just trying to fix my tarnished reputation.🥺
Signed,
That Guy
First response to my first post was the man himself calling me out...... politely of course.
100% worse than mine, thank you kindly. LOL

CO Elk 70 or 71 Archery/First Rifle
Unit 70 I hunted unit 70 this fall during muzzleloader and found that the elk moved through public on the way from private to private land. I would hunt 70 only if I was able to get back in wilderness area where private wasn't close so they couldn't escape and hole up. I met other hunters that...

Glad after stalking for years I gave help as my first post.

My first post was just an overly-windy, aw-shucks-type introduction from when I was living on the wrong side of the Columbia.

you can read the rest of the saga at :

Well since some folks I know are on the site, I figure I'll introduce myself as well. I'm a 36 year old husband and father of 3 girls 12,10 and 4. I make my living in the Animal Feed business doing nutrition and sales for the food-animal sector.

Even though I live just a couple miles from the most politically liberal county in California, I grew up hunting blacktail deer. Heading off to Idaho for college fueled my big game hunting motivation.

Right now my goal is to hunt all 11 Continental Western States + Alaska. So far I have six of those down. After that I'd like to have an elk from each of those states (2 down). I am an equal opportunity hunter with rifle or bow.

If I am not hunting, I like to ride horseback, trail run, shoot competitive archery, and support my kids' 4-H and Basketball activities. I'm also a Pope and Young Measurer since 2003.

I've enjoyed watching Randy's Adventures, and I can Identify with much of what he encounters. Keep up the good work.

First post, so forgive me if I screw this up...

Not sure if anyone else followed the North Dakota Clean Water, Wildlife and Parks measure last November, but the smear campaign on Ducks Unlimited in particular was incredible. The bill would have amended the state constitution to direct 5% of oil and gas tax revenues to a conservation fund to protect habitat and create more outdoor recreation opportunities, including for hunting and fishing. No bill is perfect and there is always room for debate on the merits. However, the way that DU, Pheasants Forever, and some other quite well-known sportsmen's and conservation organizations were repeatedly painted as "out of state radicals" and "environmental extremists" who were trying to steal money from schools/roads/police/you name it was mind boggling. Oil and gas interests threw millions of dollars into the mix, and their strategy was almost solely geared toward smearing the conservation organizations.

The measure was overwhelmingly defeated, and the end result for DU is a public relations crisis in North Dakota. Numerous banquets have been cancelled this fall/winter due to the backlash and many landowners are pulling out of any program that has DU attached. I never thought I'd see DU unwelcome in the duck factory.

Unfortunately the smear tactics were proven not only highly successful, but seriously damaging to a popular and well respected sportsmen's organization. A hard lesson learned, I guess.

Honestly wasn’t sure what I was going to find. Ah yes, I remember that debacle…

Just read about the train incident a couple days ago and then just saw this thread.

I grew up in Glasgow and Fort Peck and remember the winter of 78-79, hard to imagine more snow than that. Of course I was 10 years old then so maybe I remember it a little worse than it actually was.

Amazing pictures and what a sad story. Hopefully they will make it somehow.

I'm reviving this again for all of the new faces surely to show up shortly.

I encourage you newbs, read this thread, change your tactics, and stick around.

I'd like to think my original post has been (somewhat) forgiven after these last +/- 6 years, but I'm still waiting on my formal pardon from the Big Fin in the sky . . .

I'm reviving this again for all of the new faces surely to show up shortly.

I encourage you newbs, read this thread, change your tactics, and stick around.

I'd like to think my original post has been (somewhat) forgiven after these last +/- 6 years, but I'm still waiting on my formal pardon from the Big Fin in the sky . . .
I’m begging for pardons from less than 6 months ago 🤣😂

Back