game violations on hunting shows

MThuntr

I'll admit hunting shows aren't my cup o'tea but when the guide said they were hunting bighorns in the MT Breaks I had to watch. I am watching the Pursuit Channel's "Hittin' the Outdoors" and the guide has blatantly violated Montana's Hunter Orange requirements by not wearing any. :mad: At first the host wasn't wearing any orange but from one shot to another he magically had orange on.

About a year ago, "The Best of the West" also aired a show where they were rifle hunting bear in MT and all the shooters were without Hunter Orange. That time I called the MT FWP and gave them the information...I haven't heard anything back from FWP on that call which I assume means they could care less.

Am I just grumpy or do I have a legitimate gripe?

A lot of bear hunts in MT are filmed on the crow reservation, no orange needed. I don`t know if that`s where the one you`re talking about was filmed or not, but it might be.

Outfitters and guides have to wear orange, just like the hunter. If you are just along for the hunt and not a guide/outfitter...no orange is required.

Montana regulations state, "all persons accompanying a hunter as an outfitter or guide must wear 400 square inches of orange." non contracted persons joining a hunt are not required by law to wear orange to the best of my understanding.

I didn't see the show so I won't comment on that specific episode.

I saw our very own Big Shooter guiding a couple of hunters on TV last night. He was wearing blaze orange.

Some of these may be retakes, none the less, they should scrupulously follow the regulations. Continuity is important in video. A retake should be shot to seamlessly blend with original footage. Otherwise it doesn't look right. Editors should be on the lookout for violations. It's kind of like the poachers that boast of their exploits on Facebook or You-Tube and then get caught.

Check out Jason Matzinger on his first season of Powder Horn Outdoors. Him and his buddy shoot two mountain lions in MT w/ not a speck of orange to be seen...

A few years ago Jackie Bushman and his daughter were whitetail hunting in Montana and she killed a buck and he pulled her tags out of his pocket and gave them to her. I sent a nice email to him with a copy of the regs telling him you can't have anybody else's tags on your person in a hunting situation.

He emails me back and said it was a blooper. I was like WTF you reinacted something illegal as a blooper?? How dumb do you think I am? I should have asked what did I win for finding the blooper. Funny thing was the very next year they changed the law and you can carry somebody else's tags now. Did Jackie bitch to the MFWP and change the law???

A lot of TV shows will also do recreates of scene's up to a couple of days after a kill. It takes a lot of film after you cut it down after editing. Going back recreating the tracking, the shot, conversations between hunter and companions/guides...etc..etc... If you watch closely look at the lighting between shots is sometimes different due to weather time of day etc.. Sometimes things slip through the cracks as they recreate scenes....

I'm not saying this happened or not never watched the show, still hard to prove for the G&F unless they get their hands on the raw footage, which would probably get lost if they tried to get their hands on it...doesn't surprise me they don't pursue it more often given that circumstance. Too bad that crap does happen though, see it a ton on you tube. Surprised they don't bust a lot of people on there....especially with raw footage in most cases...

Outfitters and guides have to wear orange, just like the hunter. If you are just along for the hunt and not a guide/outfitter...no orange is required.

I know you don't make the rules but what the hell kind of sense does that make?:confused:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back