PEAX Equipment

FWP meeting Helena August 5th

Sytes

The FWP will make final decisions on:

•organizations to auction the 2010 moose, sheep, goat, deer and elk licenses,
•2010 early season migratory bird regulations,
•2010 furbearer regulations and quotas,
•2010 bison quotas,
•moving up to 20 swift fox from north central Montana to the Fort Peck Indian Reservation,
•two conservation easements in FWP Region 6, and
•acquisition of the 27,616 acre Spotted Dog property east of Missoula.

Anyone going? Sounds interesting.

Anyone with news of this meeting? Would be interested in the spotted dog property... I read some "opinion" writings on this and seems alternate options for $$$ action / etc where this could be a real win... curious if such was discussed..

Suppose in time info will present itself - if no one here is in the "know".

Hi,

first post, so excuse my butting in. I was at the meeting yesterday, and Spotted Dog went through unanimously. Next steps are the NRD portion, and securing the grant funding for the project. That meeting is August 15th, at Fairmont Hot Springs. I'd be happy to post the agenda, etc, when I get it. In all, the Powell County Planning Commission supported the acquisition, Hellgate Hunters and Anglers out of Missoula supported it, and the Montana Wildlife Federation supported it. No opposition testimony was heard. I imagine that the folks who are opposed will try and stop the funding from NRD rather than at the FWP Commission level.

Also, both conservation easements went through, and they adopted some changes to the fisheries component. I missed the big game licence portion of the meeting.

Great site,

Ben Lamb
Conservation Director for State and National Issues
Montana Wildlife Federation

That's good to hear.

Make yourself welcome here, I know there's quite a few fans of your guys' work on this site.
Your input, updates, and explanations would be helpful and appreciated.

That's good to hear.

Make yourself welcome here, I know there's quite a few fans of your guys' work on this site.
Your input, updates, and explanations would be helpful and appreciated.

Thanks! We don't always get it right, but we try hard. ;) I'm happy to be of whatever assistance I can be.

Great to have you aboard Ben!

Shoots-Straight referred me over to MWF to support for Montana wildlife affairs.
Look forward to your posts, etc.

Thanks for the heads up on the Helena Meeting.

The Land Board met today and voted unanimously to move Spotted Dog on to the NRD Advisory Committee. MWF was the only group that offered public testimony, and we supported it.

Both conservation easements passed, with remarks from the Governor that he's less comfortable paying $1K an acre for an easement than buying property outright for less money. Gotta love a Gov that advocates for MORE public land.

Great info and cheers to Gov for his support for public land.

Recieved this regarding the August 18th meeting...
Wednesday, August 18, 2010
Deer Lodge Community Center
146 Cottonwood St., Deer Lodge
***NOTE: The meeting will start early at 10:00***
[Directions to Deer Lodge Community Center: From I-90, take Deer Lodge exit #184. Proceed
about 1 mile south towards downtown Deer Lodge on Main St. Just after crossing the Cottonwood
Creek Bridge, turn left on Cottonwood Avenue. (The Les Schwab Tire Center is on your left at this
intersection.) Proceed east on Cottonwood Avenue for two blocks. The Center will be on right.]

... edited to not post the entire.

1:00 - 3:00 Spotted Dog Land Acquisition – Action Item
Public Comment Summary – Kathy Coleman, NRDP
Staff Update – Mike Thompson, FWP & Carol Fox, NRDP
Public Comment
Advisory Council Deliberations & Vote on Final Funding
Recommendation
Would enjoy hearing the discussion and outcome if anyone attends.

We'll have a number of folks from Anaconda and Helena there to support the Acquisition. Also putting an alert out today to the Deer Lodge/Helena/Anaconda area for folks to show up and support. Hopefully, we'll get a good group of supporters. I'll post what I hear after the meeting. I was planning on attending, but we're getting ready for our Board retreat this weekend, and that means all hands on deck for preparation.

RCF&W ass. sent in comments in favor of the Spotted Dog. This sounds like a win for sportsman of Montana.

Our only concern was that most if not all State Wildlife Management areas close to use right after general hunting season. Usually Dec. 1st. We would like to see these areas opened until Dec. 31st for predator hunting. These areas are hunted for big game, except lions and wolves. If the season's are adjusted so these hunts can take place it could reduce predation. Most areas don't need the quite time until after the 1st of the year. We would like to get the ball rolling on opening all SWMA's to hunting of lions, and hopefully wolves someday with this extension.

Seems silly to preserve these lands to hold big game populations through the winter, but give haven to predators that harass these ungulates non stop through the winter.

would you send me that letter? I don't have a copy of it and would like to explore the idea of predator hunting past closure of big game season.

b l a m b at m t w f . o r g

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BullelkSD
Back