Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Quote your first post

This is a pretty funny idea for a thread. Pretty sure mine was bluntly asking which otc colorado elk unit was a good place to archery hunt. How embarrassing. Iirc Randy commented first or second post which probably kept the wolves away. Might not have made it past that first post had he not chimed in!

@OregonChris too
tenor.gif

I said first post, not first thread! Carry on!
I’m a noob , what can I say !!!
1627759472931.gif

I hijacked an old "Tips for a New Antelope Hunter" thread. First reply was from Top Gun, may he rest in peace.

Hey, here's my first post in this forum. I'm headed to the Thermopolis area on some leftover doe and fawn tags. It is my first DIY hunt on public ground.

How do I know what roads/trails are open to vehicle travel on BLM/State Trust Land? Looking on OnX I can see elaborate systems of two track trails on satellite and topo but none list ownership or whether they are gated or ungated.

Randy always mentions using maps to find roads that are closed to vehicle travel and hunting in from there to get away from the crowds. Typically he is referring to elk when on the subject, but regardless, where are the maps designating open and closed roads?

[IMG alt="elkantlers"]https://www.hunttalk.com/data/avatars/s/14/14167.jpg?1551394188[/IMG]

Hunting GPS Maps

I have the downloadable version of Wyoming on my Garmin 450. It is a great tool on those cherkerboard units. The download is easy and and I can acces the map on my computer. I also downloaded the Google Earth version and this is an awesome tool for preseason scouting. I really like being able to...
________________________________________________________________________________________________

I joined in 2009 but it says this is my first post, Way back before I had OnX on my phone.

Watched Tombstone again today.. the scene where Wyatt tells doc he’ll ignore the lady if she were to come into the bar.. when she does, doc comes back to Wyatt and says “I stand corrected, Wyatt. You’re an @Oak ” lol I had to ask if that’s where you come up with that name?? I always appreciate a clever handle. I noticed you’re title says expert, and you’ve been a member since before I was allowed to use the computer 😂 pretty cool!

View attachment 190002

Here you go!

BTW, it was a joke, although many didn’t get it. Perhaps I have a poor sense of humor.

BTW, it was a joke, although many didn’t get it. Perhaps I have a poor sense of humor.
As I recall it was a rainy Satrurday that I had planned on spending in unit 61 but couldn’t so I came here. I had posted for a few years as BeanMan but left when Oscar’s site started getting suspect.

First post August 2008:

Notable ask for info AND at same time dogged on AZ hunters propensity to bring a posse to every hunt to help find bulls. nice. LOL. In my defense I had already done a scouting trip from out of state and was headed out for another….

12 bonus points finally paid off. Drew Unit 8 archery bull. Planning and preparing to enjoy this practically once in a lifetime opportunity to the fullest.

spent a couple days in 8 over 4th of July. Did find one big bull in the making and one that was big on the left and stunted on the right along with a lot of other animals.

Heading for 5 day scout trip in a week. Aug.10-15

Ideas and suggestions always welcome. Have all the maps and personal observations plus suggestions and notes scratched all over them so starting to get a sense of where and how of this hunt. This next trip plus scouting another 4 days just prior to the opener should set me up fairly well, I hope. Anybody have specific suggestions about making the most of this mid-August scout trip, I can be contacted at the below address. I am guessing the bulls will be a bit more out and about than they were in July but we'll see soon enough.

From what I keep hearing I'll be the only DIY hunter who is hunting solo and not bringing along a whole posse of helpers and gawkers. Will be interesting to see if there is as big a crowd in every camp as I have heard. I have the whole season if needed. Can't wait.

If any previous unit 8 hunters might be willing to share some insights I'd sure appreciate it.

Kirby

Last edited:
I remember mine, I had been trolling the forum for months. I liked how everyone interacted with each other. It goes something like this ;

Hello from Roy Washington. I have been an outdoor hobbiest my whole life. I like to fish, hunt, camp and just enjoy all the outdoors has to offer. I am looking forward to seeing and sharing experiences with other avid hobbiest's.

My first 5 posts won't show up but I believe it was on a thread with some fish pics and the topic had strayed a little bit towards pics with a little bit of skin in them so I posted a pic of me shirtless holding a carp I had shot while bowfishing... :ROFLMAO:

My first post back in 2010 was introducing myself.
Matt

July 2011……😳🥱

I’m trying to plan a trip to Wyoming for an Antelope hunt this fall with my brother and a friend. We had originally planned on applying for a buck tag in unit 7 but things came up and we weren't sure if we would be able to go so we didn't apply. Now, we figured out we would be to go if we could pick up a few doe/fawn left-over tags. Anyway, all our research was for unit 7 and that area is sold out. We're now thinking about unit 27. I guess my question is will we be able to find some public land to hunt in that area if we get doe/fawn licenses. I know it's a good idea to buy the maps and do some research, which we will, but any info. on unit 27 would be appreciated. We are even open to trespass fees for private land in that unit.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back