Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Hunting GPS Maps

Corax

In the current issue of Bugle, Randy mentioned Hunting GPS Maps, which show land ownership on your GPS. This sounds great, and also a good excuse to upgrade my current nav setup, which is a Garmin foretrex 301 and paper maps (plus two compasses).

Does anyone have experience with the download version of Hunting GPS Maps? How big is the download file and have there been any issues with the maps? Which GPS are you using? Are they the only game in town, or do DeLorme or any of the others offer a competitive product?

Thanks for any input.

I am not a TV watcher, and we do not have cable. I have really enjoyed watching OYOA on DVDs , and I just discovered the streaming version. This is great! In a completely different league than any other hunting show I have seen. Keep it up! (When does the new DVD come out?)

I have refrained from upgrading my Garmin 12 as I use my laptop for all my map work.
It's finally time and HuntinggpsMaps will get my business. I have a bunch of their free download maps and will go that route. Going the download route allows the user to download what they want for a given hunt. You can also add maps to your own sd cards.

Delorme does have a similar product in that their new maps have BLM coverage. HuntinggpsMaps is more extensive though and the bigger screen of the Garmin Montana sealed the deal for me.

I have yet to see any negative reviews for either actually.

First off, welcome to the site. I used huntinggpsmaps this year for the first time on my WY antelope hunt and it was hands down the best piece of equipment I have purchased. I went with a chip instead of the downloadable version as I lime the ease of just grabbing the chip I need, put it in and go. Since I have been back I have recently ordered the WA chip and will be adding a few more states this winter. As far as the unit, I picked up a garmin 450 this year and really like it. Sorry I can't answer your question about the download, put as far as the product itself, they are worth every penny.
Lucas

I have a Garmin 60CSX and bought the downloadable version of HuntingGPSmaps AZ maps this year. It was a big improvement over what I was using before, and it is awesome being able to distinguish the land ownership right there. I reference the maps on my computer all the time and use it for scouting and keeping track of waypoints and tracks histories.

I think the downloadable version of AZ was about 500MB or so for the computer. Took a little bit to download on a high speed connection, but not bad at all.

So far I've only been hunting AZ, but next year am planning on hitting CO. As I branch out to other states I'll definitely be buying more huntinggpsmaps.

Ron

I have the downloadable for Idaho and it was about 168mb. It's nice having it on the computer to set waypoints and routes rather then trying to do it on a tiny screen on the gps. I also have the google earth version which is pretty useful. You will need a conversion program to go between basecamp and google earth for converting your waypoints and routes, but there are free ones out there that have not let me down. I use it with an Oregon 450. I don't think you'll be dissapointed if you get it.

Thanks

Thanks for all the comments. Much of my hunting has been cow elk in the Gila in NM, where there are large blocks of national forest - not much need to worry about private land. I have been accumulating preference points in WY and CO, and plan an antelope hunt in WY next year, so hunting GPS maps looked like a good idea.

I was looking at the Garmin web site to compare the various GPS options - I like the big screen of the Montana, but am more comfortable with the push-buttons of the 62s. I need to get my hands on one of each, I guess.

Thanks again.

In the current issue of Bugle, Randy mentioned Hunting GPS Maps, which show land ownership on your GPS. This sounds great, and also a good excuse to upgrade my current nav setup, which is a Garmin foretrex 301 and paper maps (plus two compasses).

Does anyone have experience with the download version of Hunting GPS Maps? How big is the download file and have there been any issues with the maps? Which GPS are you using? Are they the only game in town, or do DeLorme or any of the others offer a competitive product?

The file is minimal and deffinately the best way to go... don't go with the chip. very limited and unable to use with a computer. The download allows for use on the computer(s) and able to upload / download with your GPS. I have the 530Hcx. I love it... though to be fair, this is my first year using it..

Thanks for any input.

I am not a TV watcher, and we do not have cable. I have really enjoyed watching OYOA on DVDs , and I just discovered the streaming version. This is great! In a completely different league than any other hunting show I have seen. Keep it up! (When does the new DVD come out?)

Fantastic product.! I returned the chip - that is a WASTE. the download is the key... very versatile and very useful!

I have the downloadable version of Wyoming on my Garmin 450. It is a great tool on those cherkerboard units. The download is easy and and I can acces the map on my computer. I also downloaded the Google Earth version and this is an awesome tool for preseason scouting. I really like being able to see how the public/private is on a unit before applying for the hunt. In wyoming this year my paper maps never left the folder in the glove box.

Just be aware for the download version your are only able to upload it to, two GPS units. So make sure its not loaded up on a buddys or somthing like that to try it out or loan them one unless your prepared to lose 1 licesne. I lost my GPS unit this past fall when I slid down a grassy slide. I'm screwed if anything happens to my next one.

WY Antelope is where the product really shines. You can drive down the county road and hit those sections of BLM checkerboard. This is where my PC maps failed.

I bit the bullet yesterday and ordered a Garmin 450 to upgrade from my old school Etrex. By the way, if you got an employee pricing invitation from Cabelas, a Garmin Oregon 450 is only $297. From my GPS/GIS experiences, the downloadable version is the way to go.

I haven't looked too deep into this but I believe huntingGPSmaps is one of the only systems available that has the hunter in mind. You might be able to use MapSource or ArcGIS but those systems can be pricey and the time you put into tracking down ownership, base maps, etc can be exhaustive. I have ArcMap and ArcPad systems for work and I am still considering using the huntingGPSmaps system because of the ease of use.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ak2021
Back