Questions regarding WY towns

Both Cheyenne and Casper make this top 10 list.

I've been listening to Wake Up Wyoming out of Casper and they've been mentioning it for a few days now. Does anyone know of any Sheridan/Cody/Gillette shows like that that are able to be listened to over the net? Trying to get a feel for what's going on. Thanks.

My wife works in the medical field and yes the quality and quantity of medical care in WY is bad. Yes we can get by, but there is a lot of room for massive improvements.

It is something that should definitely be considered. May not be the same all over but it takes time to find out who are decent providers and who are not. There are a lot of providers here that are ok, but very few that are really good.

My wife works in the medical field and yes the quality and quantity of medical care in WY is bad. Yes we can get by, but there is a lot of room for massive improvements.

It is something that should definitely be considered. May not be the same all over but it takes time to find out who are decent providers and who are not. There are a lot of providers here that are ok, but very few that are really good.
My wife also. Agreed.

I've been listening to Wake Up Wyoming out of Casper and they've been mentioning it for a few days now. Does anyone know of any Sheridan/Cody/Gillette shows like that that are able to be listened to over the net? Trying to get a feel for what's going on. Thanks.
There is a so so morning show in the bighorn basin. Dont know if you can get it on the net. I caught the Wake up Wyoming show while hunting this fall in SW Montana. Funny guy so I down loaded the app.

I've lived in Wyoming for 42 years. Lived in Casper, Laramie (college), and Cheyenne. Would not want to live in those towns again due to the incessant wind. Been in the Sheridan area for the last 30. Will likely die here (hopefully not anytime soon). :) Only downside to here for a newcomer would be the cost of housing, especially if you want to live outside of town. I'm 65, active, and never considered moving due to health care issues. Sheridan has some very good docs and the local hospital is always expanding. If needed, I could go to Billings or elsewhere, but have never had the need. Not too worried about filling the freezer. Can whack a whitetail out my back door about any given day in November. Cow elk tags are good to end of year. Caught a couple of nice pike last week through the ice at Tongue R. Reservoir, which is about 40 minutes away. Bighorns are nearby, but loved pretty hard in summer. If willing to hike a bit, (like everywhere else), you can get away from people.

Honestly, that is likely the biggest reason we don't put WY on the list for retirement. So many plusses, but the health care and airport issues (we don't want to have to spend a day driving to an airport to go see family) just have us putting a very reluctant "no" beside WY.

David
NM
Good, glad to hear it!! Convince more people not to move here too!

IMO this is the only downside to living in Wyo. So far this winter, this has been a weekly occurrence. Too many unfamiliar with driving in these conditions and too damn many semis.

1672539185243.jpeg

Have you actually visited these towns? There is zero way i would put powell/sheridan on same community level as casper/gillette. If medical is real concern you may want to investigate evaston/green river(salt lake) or laramie/cheyenne (denver).
Looking at Evanston and Laramie/Cheyenne in a few years for those exact reasons. Leaning Evanston though, and would only be seasonal (spring-fall). Winters, no thank you.

A good friend lives in Buffalo his wife runs a portion of the local hospital. They seem happy with the healthcare system there. Otherwise it seems like a nice place too. I know first hand that the hunting situation there is prey darn nice also.

A good friend lives in Buffalo his wife runs a portion of the local hospital. They seem happy with the healthcare system there. Otherwise it seems like a nice place too. I know first hand that the hunting situation there is prey darn nice also.
Of course. If you run an operation/business why would you tell the world it is crap?!
I know many folks (some in the med field) who will NOT got there for anything more than a band aid.

If your health is so that is dictates you live near a major hospital then Wyoming just may not be for you.
No need to denigrate our health care facilities, if you don't trust them go elsewhere or move.
Folks have been surviving in Wyoming with our hospitals for many years and will continue to do so.
Sounds like Wyoming is not for everyone, thankfully.

If your health is so that is dictates you live near a major hospital then Wyoming just may not be for you.
No need to denigrate our health care facilities, if you don't trust them go elsewhere or move.
Folks have been surviving in Wyoming with our hospitals for many years and will continue to do so.
Sounds like Wyoming is not for everyone, thankfully.

I think Wyoming is really the impetus for this:

Medical is obviously important in retirement, and I am certainly thinking locations as that being a part of it. I suspect though there a great many doctor’s and nurses that choose WY or SD for that matter, for reasons many others do. State taxes, state fees, politics and clean living. Some great fishing and hunting never hurts, but suspect that’s not a key driver for relocation. If fishing and hunting were my key drivers, I’d be headed to CO and straight to the Meeker or Gunnison area. CO is off my list due to taxes and politics, and will remain a tourist location for me. Evanston or Laramie are at the head of my domicile list due to the location of SLC or Ft Collins/Denver for airports or serious medical. For me, leaving Ca in a few years and withdrawing from the 401k and a pension means a pretty significant amount of tax savings, not to mention a huge savings in sales tax and DMV fees. I still have a few more years to get my homework done, but I certainly am not worried that Wy is full of witch doctors. I do know that Ca will take enough of my retirement that it’s not doable for any reason.

Of course. If you run an operation/business why would you tell the world it is crap?!
I know many folks (some in the med field) who will NOT got there for anything more than a band aid

Medical is obviously important in retirement, and I am certainly thinking locations as that being a part of it. I suspect though there a great many doctor’s and nurses that choose WY or SD for that matter, for reasons many others do. State taxes, state fees, politics and clean living. Some great fishing and hunting never hurts, but suspect that’s not a key driver for relocation. If fishing and hunting were my key drivers, I’d be headed to CO and straight to the Meeker or Gunnison area. CO is off my list due to taxes and politics, and will remain a tourist location for me. Evanston or Laramie are at the head of my domicile list due to the location of SLC or Ft Collins/Denver for airports or serious medical. For me, leaving Ca in a few years and withdrawing from the 401k and a pension means a pretty significant amount of tax savings, not to mention a huge savings in sales tax and DMV fees. I still have a few more years to get my homework done, but I certainly am not worried that Wy is full of witch doctors. I do know that Ca will take enough of my retirement that it’s not doable for any reason.

I didn’t realize Wyoming was such a dangerous place to live. Someone should tell the old people.
Yeah, I'm in my 60s and thinking about leaving Wyoming and moving to downtown Chicago, where it is so much safer with better hospitals. :)

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back