Caribou Gear Tarp

Questions regarding WY towns

bwalden123

Hey all,
My wife and I are planning to move to WY soon and are considering 4 towns - Casper, Gillette, Powell, and Sheridan. I'm a bit concerned about the lack of public land close to Gillette and to a lesser extent Casper. Could someone comment on the likelihood of being able to hunt every year as a resident of either Casper or Gillette? It seems like driving to the Bighorns would be the closest area to hunt on a regular basis for both locations with the possible exception of a few areas near Casper Mtn. Am I missing something on the maps? Right now, Casper is kind of the leader (mainly due to the proximity of some *really* good trout fishing spots and the lack of grizzlies), but I'd like to get some input from some of you long term residents. Thanks in advance for any info you can share on this.

Regards,
Bill (in FL for now)

What’s your approximate life position (age, working, retired, etc)? That would probably help folks describe each in the correct context.

What’s your approximate life position (age, working, retired, etc)? That would probably help folks describe each in the correct context.
I'm 62 and working remote right now. Plan to be retired at 65. I like to hike and ride my bicycle, which I don't do very much here in FL. I'm doing 3.5 miles on a treadmill 4-6 times a week to keep my cardio up until I move someplace where I can go hiking/biking/hunting/etc. I've hunted elk and deer before,but have never been successful. I would like to hunt both archery and rifle but have only done archery before. I'll be buying a new compound and I have a 30-06 for rifle season. Thanks!

First, which town is your favorite and why?
Well that's part of the problem. Each town has something that we liked and each had medical close by (always a consideration when you're older). For the pluses, Casper has great fishing, Powell has easy access to Yellowstone, Sheridan is right next to the Bighorns, and Gillette has fishing nearby plus has better values in housing. And on the negatives, Casper has wicked winds, Powell has grizzlies nearby, Gillette doesn't have much public land nearby, and Sheridan has higher prices on housing. So we're *leaning* towards Casper but haven't settled yet. As you can see. :)

Well that's part of the problem. Each town has something that we liked and each had medical close by (always a consideration when you're older). For the pluses, Casper has great fishing, Powell has easy access to Yellowstone, Sheridan is right next to the Bighorns, and Gillette has fishing nearby plus has better values in housing. And on the negatives, Casper has wicked winds, Powell has grizzlies nearby, Gillette doesn't have much public land nearby, and Sheridan has higher prices on housing. So we're *leaning* towards Casper but haven't settled yet. As you can see. :)
I came real close to moving to Sheridan a couple of years ago. Second black hills Wy.

All just my opinions of course…out of those:
— All have recreational pros and cons that you can pretty well figure out.
— Sheridan feels the most connected to the rest of the world, and is probably the easiest town culture to assimilate into from somewhere else. It’s nice. There is a reason housing is pricier there.
—Casper is decent, I’m told you would want to be able to afford living in the nicer neighborhoods from a crime standpoint. There’s some gentrification happening, for better or worse. For a big (to us) city it can feel pretty remote.
—Powell has its own vibe. I wouldn’t want to buy there and plan on settling down without trying it for a year or two first. IMO the toughest of the four to move in and plug right into the community, partially just due to size.
—Of those you list, I’ve spent the least time in Gillette. Relative proximity to the Black Hills is about the only thing that interests me about it personally, but I’m probably just not that aware of cool stuff in the area either.

Good luck on your decision and move!

My wife and I looked at a few properties this summer. Western Wyoming gets my vote. Specifically, the Alpine area.

Hey all,
My wife and I are planning to move to WY soon and are considering 4 towns - Casper, Gillette, Powell, and Sheridan. I'm a bit concerned about the lack of public land close to Gillette and to a lesser extent Casper. Could someone comment on the likelihood of being able to hunt every year as a resident of either Casper or Gillette? It seems like driving to the Bighorns would be the closest area to hunt on a regular basis for both locations with the possible exception of a few areas near Casper Mtn. Am I missing something on the maps? Right now, Casper is kind of the leader (mainly due to the proximity of some *really* good trout fishing spots and the lack of grizzlies), but I'd like to get some input from some of you long term residents. Thanks in advance for any info you can share on this.

Regards,
Bill (in FL for now)
WY is full.

Have you looked into Belize?

Wherever you move to at your age you should seriously consider your access/proximity to good healthcare. I really don't know if it's good or poor in any of those locations, but it's more important than your proximity to a hunt.

Other than that, wind?

Good luck with the dream. I am considering a move soon as well.

Back