Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Questions regarding WY towns

Have you actually visited these towns? There is zero way i would put powell/sheridan on same community level as casper/gillette. If medical is real concern you may want to investigate evaston/green river(salt lake) or laramie/cheyenne (denver).
We've spent at least 2-3 days in each. Probably the most in Casper. Billings and Rapid City are close enough if we need bigger medical, IMHO. We visited Green River/Rock Springs, Pinedale, and Lander on one of our reconnisince trips. When we visited Powell we stayed in Cody while checking out the Bighorn NRA, East entrance to YNP and the surrounding area. We've stayed in Douglas and been to the state fair back when the Jackalope statue was still on the main drag.

Wherever you move to at your age you should seriously consider your access/proximity to good healthcare. I really don't know if it's good or poor in any of those locations, but it's more important than your proximity to a hunt.

Other than that, wind?

Good luck with the dream. I am considering a move soon as well.
This^^^
At your (our) age proximity to quality healthcare the is "IN NETWORK" for your insurance is crucial.
It is very hit and miss in Wyoming.

I liked Sheridan/Dayton area quite a bit when I visited it last summer for a buddies wedding. Billings is not too far commercial flights and it seems like a place with some incredible hunting nearby. Reminds me of what Bozeman was like when I moved here in 09. I liked that there are no ski resorts or major airport nearby. Seems like that will keep it relatively quiet for a long time.

Are any towns better/worse for Medicare coverage? Which is what I'll be on at 65. Thanks!
I can't answer that one brother. I have not progressed that far in life yet.😁
I suspect you can go online and check the availablility of hospitals and drs for them.
I know retired military Tricare is not in network in any clinic, the hospital or any doctor in our town and very few in the surrounding towns within 100 miles.
We ended up buying private insurance.

Gillette is a dump, almost as bad as Rawlins. I might eat there but certainly not live in either town.

Casper is also a dump. I'm from there and would never consider moving back.

Sheridan is nice, we have done family meet up's there and in Story which is nearby. Seems like a great town.

Powell is also in a pretty good area, I know they have a strong economic development group. But the town is pretty small if you are used to more "stuff". That area has more of an Agriculture feel if you like farming and what not.

Of your list Sheridan is the winner by far IMO.

If you want a town that has more city amenities then Cheyenne is the place. There is only one (soon to be one at UW) ChickFilA in the whole state for example, in Cheyenne. Cheyenne has a mix of the front range and Greely all mixed in one. They are also more stable as an economy having the capitol. air force base, and proximity to Colorado. Other parts of the state live and die with oil, coal, gas, cattle, grain, etc prices.

SW part of the state has a lot of Mormons if you are into that sort of thing.

My personal favorites are Thermopolis and Saratoga. I would also live in the Sheridan/Buffalo area.

I liked Sheridan/Dayton area quite a bit when I visited it last summer for a buddies wedding. Billings is not too far commercial flights and it seems like a place with some incredible hunting nearby. Reminds me of what Bozeman was like when I moved here in 09. I liked that there are no ski resorts or major airport nearby. Seems like that will keep it relatively quiet for a long time.
I think this one is now open. But not super close

We've spent at least 2-3 days in each. Probably the most in Casper. Billings and Rapid City are close enough if we need bigger medical, IMHO. We visited Green River/Rock Springs, Pinedale, and Lander on one of our reconnisince trips. When we visited Powell we stayed in Cody while checking out the Bighorn NRA, East entrance to YNP and the surrounding area. We've stayed in Douglas and been to the state fair back when the Jackalope statue was still on the main drag.
Just FYI if you need anything serious medical wise develop heart issues, cancer, even a serious car accident etc. you will end up in Denver or Salt Lake.

There are no major/level I/ academic hospitals in the northern Rockies.

A number of boomers in my life have chosen to move to super rural areas post retirement, and unfortunately it became a medical CF for several of them almost immediately. Even CO cities like grand junction don’t have the resources to handle a lot of medical issues, esp complex chronic conditions.

Find some place that makes you happy, I’m not typing this to dissuade you, but just know this is a thing and part of living in these areas.

CD1BC41F-3315-4D71-823D-2D88156D7D5D.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Just FYI if you need anything serious medical wise develop heart issues, cancer, even a serious car accident etc. you will end up in Denver or Salt Lake.

A number of boomers in my life have chosen to love to super rural areas post retirement, and unfortunately it became a medical CF for several of them almost immediately. Even CO cities like grand junction don’t have the resources to handle a lot of medical issues, esp complex chronic conditions.

Find some place that makes you happy, I’m not typing this to dissuade you, but just know this is a thing and part of living in these areas.

View attachment 257503
Yes. Flirt with death in Montana. mtmuley

I think you should get ready for moving and make sure your wife fully understands wyoming weather. Unload your chest freezer and set to lowest setting, climb in it (leave small crack in door for breathing) and sit with your wife for a few hours. If your moving to casper/gillette or anything along i80 add a hurricane fan in your face. Realize that will be 20-30 degrees warmer than any place in wyoming this last week...lol

No votes for Cody?
I wasn't sure about living *in* Cody - Powell's only 25 min away though. I would think the tourist traffic in the summer could be problematic in Cody and might not be an issue out near the sugar beet farm area in Powell. Just my first impressions after seeing them.

A number of boomers in my life have chosen to love to super rural areas post retirement, and unfortunately it became a medical CF for several of them almost immediately. Even CO cities like grand junction don’t have the resources to handle a lot of medical issues, esp complex chronic conditions.

View attachment 257503
Thanks for all the good info. That puts Powell at 7.5 and Casper at 4 hours away. Not a deal breaker, but something to remember. Thanks again.

Thanks for all the good info. That puts Powell at 7.5 and Casper at 4 hours away. Not a deal breaker, but something to remember. Thanks again.
In good weather when the highways are open.
I was looking at Pine Haven outside of Gillette and Basin out from Cody. But not very hard.

Gillette USED TO BE kind of dumpy but has come a long way IMO. My In-laws live there and we go there quite a bit (from Buffalo). Not a bad town. Has shopping, hospital, clinics, restaurants.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1sockeye2
Back