Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Public Health Emergency

Getting ready to pack for a trip into Albacrackie for 2 nights in a motel for eye surgery.
Walking Rio in the parking lot at night will be fun.
The pistol is in the truck already.
Have to watch the cops now too...BS! Open season on everyone.
Wishes for safety and surgical success, hombre. Be advised you may not like what you see, when you can see again.

Attachments

• NMStateLAnd.JPG
    NMStateLAnd.JPG
    17 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
One article explains its scope as follows

“The firearms suspension, classified as an emergency public health order, applies to open and concealed carry in most public places, from city sidewalks to urban recreational parks. The restriction is tied to a threshold for violent crime rates currently only met by the metropolitan Albuquerque. Police and licensed security guards are exempt from the temporary ban.

Violators could face civil penalties and a fine of up to $5,000, gubernatorial spokeswoman Caroline Sweeney said. Under the order, residents still can transport guns to some private locations, such as a gun range or gun store, provided the firearm has a trigger lock or some other container or mechanism making it impossible to discharge.”

The order basically says no person shall “possess” any firearm “either openly or concealed”, within certain cities or counties, subject to the listed exceptions, such as being on your own property.

Doesn’t make an exception for hunting, such as flying into NM with a rifle or shotgun. Plus the order has some errors referring to misidentified sections.

Last edited:
Reading all the laws and restrictions kind of makes me glad I'm where I am. We haven't had a SO patrol through here in at least 3 years. Most everyone has some sort of firearm handy, very handy but not blatantly visible. Every once in a while a deputy or CHP will pass through. They all know that most everyone has a something fairly handy. Nobody bothers you about it. The only time we are cautious is during deer season not to carry a loaded rifle. Fish and Game doesn't like it as they never know who is a resident and who is an outsider. Shiny trucks are a giveaway though. It's pretty easy to tell they don't belong.

Getting ready to pack for a trip into Albacrackie for 2 nights in a motel for eye surgery.
Walking Rio in the parking lot at night will be fun.
The pistol is in the truck already.
Have to watch the cops now too...BS! Open season on everyone.
Good luck on your procedure, Hank. If they give you any shit about your pistol, we'll start a GoFundMe here on Hunt Talk to fund your defense against the Gov's idiotic proclamation.

I never thought I’d hear something like that from you. Good people break bad laws. It’s nice to know even the most upstanding realize this.

I never thought I’d hear something like that from you. Good people break bad laws. It’s nice to know even the most upstanding realize this.
I'm pretty close to an absolutist when it comes to the Constitutional right to bear arms, and any other Constitutional right.

As for 2A, it's pretty simple. Only two generations, my Dad and my Grandmother, separate me from a person, my great grandfather, who had to leave his home country (Finland) to escape tyranny of the Russians. He felt the inability of Finns to resist the Russification efforts was in large part due to the populous not being well armed. So in 1913, he came to the US rather than be conscripted to the Russian Army.

It was told that he was amazed that in the US he could own firearms without restriction. He had many firearms. Most family pictures have a rack of long guns in the background. If not for a fire at my Dad's house, I would be in possession of a couple of his old guns.

His oldest daughter, my grandmother, told me that until the day he died her father proclaimed he would never again be without firearms. She also stated her father would never be "peaceably disarmed." Nor will I.

Based on that personal connection and being a student of history, I remain convinced that a well-armed citizenry is essential to a society based on individual Constitutional rights that political leaders are inherently inclined to abuse when they gain the power vested in our government institutions.

If I lived in New Mexico, the Gov could KMA. And so could anyone trying to enforce such a BS executive proclamation.

I'm pretty close to an absolutist when it comes to the Constitutional right to bear arms, and any other Constitutional right.

As for 2A, it's pretty simple. Only two generations, my Dad and my Grandmother, separate me from a person, my great grandfather, had to leave his home country (Finland) to escape tyranny of the Russians. He felt the inability of Finns to resist the Russification efforts was in large part due to the populous not being well armed. So in 1913, he came to the US rather than be conscripted to the Russian Army.

It was told that he was amazed that in the US he could own firearms without restriction. He had many firearms. Most family pictures have a rack of long guns in the background. If not for a fire at my Dad's house, I would be in possession of a couple of his old guns.

His oldest daughter, my grandmother, told me that until the day he died her father proclaimed he would never again be without firearms. She also stated her father would never be "peaceably disarmed." Nor will I.

Based on that personal connection and being a student of history, I remain convinced that a well-armed citizenry is essential to a society based on individual Constitutional rights that political leaders are inherently inclined to abuse when they gain the power vested in our government institutions.

If I lived in New Mexico, the Gov could KMA. And so could anyone trying to enforce such a BS executive proclamation.
Well, there ya go!!!!

As for 2A, it's pretty simple. Only two generations, my Dad and my Grandmother, separate me from a person, my great grandfather, who had to leave his home country (Finland) to escape tyranny of the Russians. He felt the inability of Finns to resist the Russification efforts was in large part due to the populous not being well armed. So in 1913, he came to the US rather than be conscripted to the Russian Army.

Love ya Randy lol

I don't think this is going to go her way and will likely backfire on her. It'll have its day in court. Hopefully people can hold it together until then.

Bernalillo County DA has already announced that he will not enforce any violations of the order. It's all a joke.

One angle some are watching is if NMSP gets pushed to enforce it. The problem is there is she still has the issue of finding a DA to prosecute. But that won’t avoid the possibly unpleasant LEO encounter.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
htcooke
Back