Pronghorn score wth a bonus

BuzzH

Took a road trip to Casper this morning to have my 2015 pronghorn scored, was more than happy with the results.

I left Casper at 1:00 PM and decided to check out an HMA that I have permission to hunt elk on with my type 6 tag and see if there were any elk around.

First place I stopped and glassed from the county road, I found a herd of 20 or so bedded at the head of a draw with not a tree visible in any direction. I knew from pronghorn hunting the area in the past that getting an opportunity at them would be pretty likely.

So, I drove around the back side of the draw, parked and hiked over the top. I edged around and found them at about 120 yards. I thought about shooting from there, but noticed a large rock that I could crawl to and get much closer. I crawled up to the rock and peeked around the side, still all there bedded. I picked one of the smaller ones in the group and shot it in its bed. The rest didn't know what was going on so I stayed put until they all got up and walked around the side hill and out of sight. I stood and got my rangefinder out...58 yard shot.

Got it to the truck and hit the road. Pulled into my driveway at 4:43 PM.

1209151436.jpg

I'm surprised you have any freezer space left!

I'm almost out of elk meat. Yours was long range compared to my 2014 cow though, 15 yards with a rifle.

I'm assuming you didn't need your dope chart for that shot?

Can't complain about that for sure.

Way to go Buzz. But if you really wanted to show your hunting prowess, you would have opened up on them from 1,200 yards instead of creeping into 58 with no cover :D

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ss8
Back