Probably a stupid question; Cornerhopping literally!

fargoflyfish

I was looking at the MT FWP map of the crazy mountains trying to figure out where to apply for an elk B tag. The southern half looks like a checkerboard. From what I have read, it is not possible to access these lands unless you have permission from all of the surrounding landowners if you plan to walk onto it.

If it is possible to legally access these areas via the air (helicopter, plane), could it also be accessed in a less technical way? How about creating a ramp on each side with a gap that aligns directly over the corner or take a little run up and jump the corner. This seems like it could be a loophole for accessing public lands locked up by private land without trespassing because a foot isn't being place on any of the private land. It is being crossed through the air.

I think a reasonable solution in some cases would be to allow the private owner to corner hop only if he allows public access in the same fashion. This would work if a person owned 2 parcels diagonal to each other that blocks public access.

Can't land aircraft on Forest Service land without either permission from the Agency or a legal airstrip. You'd have to jump out of the helicopter.

Here's what 87-6-208 MCA says (department meaning MFWP):

(2) Unless permitted by the department, a person may not use an aircraft, including a helicopter, for hunting purposes within the boundaries of a national forest except when cargo or persons are loaded and unloaded at federal aviation agency approved airports, aircraft landing fields, or heliports that have been established on private property or that have been established by any federal, state, county, or municipal governmental body. Hunting purposes include the transportation of hunters or wildlife and hunting equipment and supplies. The provisions of this subsection do not apply:
(a) during emergency situations;
(b) when search and rescue operations are being conducted; or
(c) for predator control as permitted by the department of livestock.

I once had a discussion re the Unlimited Sheep Tag Zones with one of the señor officers with MT F&G and was told I could not parachute in with a pallet of gear and supplies. I thought this interpretation was incorrect. I would have not hunted the day I arrived and would have hiked out then sent a chopper to get the supplies. Had no desire to chance being a criminal but it bummed out my buddy the ex-Army Ranger who thought this would be an adventure to remember in his old age no matter how the hunt went once on the ground.

So let me ask a question. On Your Own Adventures, season 4, "Montana archery elk" episode, Randy had a helicopter drop him off. Im going to assume MFWP permitted it, so if I were wanting to do this, how do I get a permit for it?

huntlife, that hunt took place on BLM ground which has different permitting rules than USFS.

Just out of curiosity, does anyone have any historical knowledge as to why the MCA specifically prohibits the use of aircraft for National Forest ground, but has no prohibition for BLM, DNRC, USFWS grounds?

This thread took quite the turn. Haha. Back to my original question about corner jumping; Is it legal to literally jump the corner and land on the other piece of federal land without touching the private land on either side.

common sense would say there is a definte point where all 4 corners come together, if you could walk from one to the other without touching the opposing adjacent property shouldn't be a problem,

now, how can a person possible be prosecuted for trespassing if the landowner cant show this exact point, if they cant show the point of intersection but you get ticked, would seem that is a illegal act,
innocent until proven guilty,

fargoflyfish and 300stw, obviously you missed the thread and all the very lengthy discussion during the 2013 Montana legislative session when there was actually a corner crossing bill proposed and a large sportsmen rally at the Capitol in Helena. The legalities and technical points are way more complex than you could even imagine. It's not as simple as locating the corner with your Garmin GPS, jumping in the air and landing in the next diagonally located section. I wish it was.

You should have known you were on the wrong track when you used the phrase "common sense".

This thread took quite the turn. Haha. Back to my original question about corner jumping; Is it legal to literally jump the corner and land on the other piece of federal land without touching the private land on either side.

No.

Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back