Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Pendley to be nominated to head BLM

In the link Pendlay asserts that wild horses are the most important issue facing public lands. That alone tells you where he is coming from.
In the link the 1971 wild free roaming horse and burro act mandates a maximum population, that we are currently over 3 times that number.

"Wild horses are federally protected by the 1971 Wild-Free Roaming Horses and Burros Act, which included mandated population limits. The U.S. Bureau of Land Management estimates wild horse numbers are currently more than three times above the prescribed federal limit."

Looks to me like he is trying to enforce current law with a lot of resistance from some people. Where do you stand on this?

I could live with suspension (hard pause) on the lease when oil is at $20/brl. The O&G producer doesn't want to produce, that is their call. It may cost some jobs but that shouldn't be a surprise to anyone in the industry for longer than 2 years. However, the steep cut in lease rates incents the producers to keep producing because it cuts their cost of production. And it cuts much needed revenue to the states. I completely understand the economic situation we are in, but this is insidious. As states continue to see oil and gas flow from those wells but are unable to collect revenue on them they will want to take more control over the decision making process. When/IF the federal government offers to transfer them to state control, more people will just at the chance.

You asked, I answered. It isn't Pendley specifically or exclusively. It is the whole shitshow of an administration. They are not our friend. Don't make the mistake of viewing public lands simply as places you hunt and fish for free. They view public lands as a resource to exploit and the fact it is public just means it is cheaper and easier to hide any bending of the rules to make more money.

In the link the 1971 wild free roaming horse and burro act mandates a maximum population, that we are currently over 3 times that number.

"Wild horses are federally protected by the 1971 Wild-Free Roaming Horses and Burros Act, which included mandated population limits. The U.S. Bureau of Land Management estimates wild horse numbers are currently more than three times above the prescribed federal limit."

Looks to me like he is trying to enforce current law with a lot of resistance from some people. Where do you stand on this?

With the price that is estimated,,,,,,,,,, given we are already pretty well into debt,,,,,nah 5 Billion can be better spent elsewhere.

Last guy to attempt to overturn some of the bad laws regarding wild horses and burros was Conrad Burns, and he got himself culled because of it. ;)

No he got culled, because he was an auctioneer that needed to be culled when he ran his soup cooler and dressed down a group of fire fighters in public.

Back in the good old days, we held our elected officials accountable when they belittled people, made fun of people, called them names, ran them down for no reason other than to make themselves look better, etc. etc.

Seems so long ago....

Last edited:
Interesting bi-partisan opinion piece on the ranching economy and the meat industry.
Doesn't look like grazing rates are getting bumped anytime soon.

Grazing rates aren't mentioned in the article. That some ranchers get grass for their cows at very favorable rates, gives them an inside track when compared to their neighbors who do not have government grazing permits.

Maybe Cliven Bundy will want to renegotiate his grazing fees. Instead of just freeloading,, he should get a stipend for having his cattle eat the grass before a wild horse eats it.;)

Last edited:
The value found in Hunt Talk threads, such as this and the presentation of opinions shared, both in support and opposition. I am an Independent Conservative in the great State of Montana however, that is far from drinking Republican or Democrat KoolAid. While a few Hunt Talk members are mentally challenged to debate the topic vs the person, threads such as these present the value HT Offers. I appreciate hearing both sides of issues. Makes for an informed decision.

With that said, I received a response from Senator Daines;

Notably, a portion discussed in this thread -
Recently I was happy to learn Mr. Pendley recently helped shepherd a federal acquisition in Montana to protect 13,000 acres near the Lower Blackfoot River, providing outdoor recreation access to these acres for generations to come.

July 1, 2020

Mr. XXXX XXX
XXXXXXX
XXXX

Dear Mr. XXXX,
Thank you for contacting me regarding your concerns with the appointment of William Perry Pendley as Acting Director of the Bureau of Land Management (BLM). I value your point of view and appreciate the opportunity to respond. As a fifth-generation Montanan and an avid outdoorsman, I know that protection and access to Montana's public lands is important to our way of life and our state's heritage. I spent much of my youth backpacking in the Absaroka-Beartooth Wilderness and want to preserve Montana's unparalleled natural beauty so our children and grandchildren can do the same.
I will not support any proposals that would reduce Montanans' access to our public lands, nor will I support efforts that result in the sale of public lands that Montanans so greatly value, including any nominee that would press for these misguided initiatives. Similarly, President Trump has clearly stated his opposition to the sale of federal lands, instead stating we should be good stewards of public lands. Similarly, Secretary Bernhardt has expressly stated the "Department of the Interior is opposed to the wholesale sale or transfer of public lands to States or private interests." Recently I was happy to learn Mr. Pendley recently helped shepherd a federal acquisition in Montana to protect 13,000 acres near the Lower Blackfoot River, providing outdoor recreation access to these acres for generations to come.
The Bureau of Land Management (BLM) is an important land manager in Montana, responsible for managing 9.9 million acres of public land and 48.8 million acres of mineral estate. It is critical to me that whomever serves at the helm of this agency protects and sustains our western values, including creating better public access to public lands for sportsmen, protecting grazing rights, protecting our communities from catastrophic wildfire, and fostering responsible energy development crucial to our state's economy and tax coffers.
In July, Secretary Bernhardt appointed Mr. William Perry Pendley to serve as Acting Director of the BLM. In Mr. Pendley's previous career, he served as the President of the Mountain States Legal Foundation, where among other initiatives, he served as the legal counsel for Solonex Corporation, a leaseholder involved in a legal suit against the Department of the Interior lease cancellation in the Badger Two-Medicine area. Learning of Mr. Pendley's appointment as Acting Director of the BLM, I immediately requested Mr. Pendley's recusal from the Solonex case and any other initiatives where he served as principal legal counsel involved in BLM decisions, consistent with ethics guidelines at the Department of the Interior. Official nominations to serve as the Director of the BLM require Senate confirmation. As that process unfolds, securing assurances from the nominee for the Director of the BLM that he or she will support and protect our public lands will be my top priority.
The BLM is largely prohibited from selling or transferring federal land by statute; and, I was pleased to see Secretary Bernhardt take action to further limit this authority by signing Secretarial Order 3373 to protect access to our public lands. This action was supported by groups like the Teddy Roosevelt Conservation Partnership, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation, the Boone and Crockett Club and others who represent thousands of sportsmen and women across Montana. I would expect any individual in a leadership position at the BLM to only authorize actions completely consistent with statute and the Administration's position, against the mass sale or transfer of our iconic federal lands.
As a member of the U.S. Senate Committee on Energy and Natural Resources which has oversight authority over the BLM and its nominees, rest assured I will keep your thoughts in mind as the Trump Administration establishes leadership positions for this bureau at the Department of the Interior. I will continue to fight to protect public access to public land and our western values in Congress.
Again, thanks for contacting me. It is my number one priority in the Senate to represent the values and interests of the people of Montana, and your input is very helpful as I do. I invite you to visit my website, www.daines.senate.gov, for updates about activities in Washington that affect our lives in Montana or to contact me. I look forward to hearing from you again in the future.
Sincerely,

Steve Daines
United States Senator

SD/

Yes, it was very close. For those who disagreed with him regarding wild horses,,,, they had numerous other reasons to vote against him. I, for one, never held the horse issue against him.

It is always going to be a very tough sell to spend money to kill horses so ranchers can graze more cattle. Perhaps if grazing fees actually reflected reality.
Any ranchers that think that getting rid of horses is going to result in an increase to Cattle Aum's will be sorely disappointing

Can we all agree that bad management can ruin things faster than outside influences.

If pendley hated Amazon and was appointed president of it he could ruin Amazon in a few years.

No matinence, run everything into the ground. Make bad decisions and chace off the good employees. Public opinion goes down.
The only way we will keep public ground is to keep a positive public option.

on one hand, i don't like that a traditional years-ago-so-and-so-said-whatever-about-something-unrelated-to-the-job-at-hand political maneuver

but on the other hand, in this case i guess i like it - the principle of it bothers me though, even if in this case I think the past comments may have merit, but i always find it a dangerous game to play

i fear it's wishful thinking this will give gardner confidence to vote no, but his election is at stake, enough people pester him he might go with the tide

it's too bad that no thing will sway public opinion on a person more so than things past that are *arguably* irrelevant to the job

BLM is adding acreage around here, not selling it off. Dont know what you are so fearful of.

I'm for multiple use of our BLM land. That includes grazing, mining, oil and gas extraction, timber harvesting, hunting, wilderness, ect. What are you looking for from a BLM director that meets your qualifications?

For me it’s someone that doesn’t see land as a resource for personal political and financial gain. For me it’s someone that looks at tracts of land and sees each for what they are. Wilderness should be untouched for example. Mining, grazing, oil and forestry? There are locations that can support this, but it’s not necessarily the if it’s the how. Science! Public land owners should have a strong say, and the land, wildlife and owners should see a benefit to any of it. These activities are usually done by private companies and little to no benefit is seen by the average citizen. Selling the land has to be off the table.

Even if Pendley was part of the land acquisition in the Blackfoot, i don't see how that's something to celebrate. He just managed to acquire land from a pro public access organization, and that land is now at greater risk of long term privatization than before. Plum Creek land is usually open to public access, and now there's greater risk that it is sold to the highest bidder at some point down the road.

Skunks don't change their stripes, and humans rarely reverse their long held opinions, certainly not without some "come to Jesus" moment. As far as I can tell, there's no rationale for why he supposedly renounced his long held beliefs.

Even if Pendley was part of the land acquisition in the Blackfoot, i don't see how that's something to celebrate. He just managed to acquire land from a pro public access organization, and that land is now at greater risk of long term privatization than before. Plum Creek land is usually open to public access, and now there's greater risk that it is sold to the highest bidder at some point down the road.

Skunks don't change their stripes, and humans rarely reverse their long held opinions, certainly not without some "come to Jesus" moment. As far as I can tell, there's no rationale for why he supposedly renounced his long held beliefs.

Taking credit for not killing projects that have been in action for years is this administrations MO.
Along with screwing the owners of our public lands.

For me it’s someone that doesn’t see land as a resource for personal political and financial gain. For me it’s someone that looks at tracts of land and sees each for what they are. Wilderness should be untouched for example. Mining, grazing, oil and forestry? There are locations that can support this, but it’s not necessarily the if it’s the how. Science! Public land owners should have a strong say, and the land, wildlife and owners should see a benefit to any of it. These activities are usually done by private companies and little to no benefit is seen by the average citizen. Selling the land has to be off the table.
I'm confident that the land management experts in the BLM and TNC are using the best science to make these acres better for everyone.

The first of several transfers to the BLM in this area in 2016. More acres are planned to be sold to the BLM in 2021 and 2022.

The USFS is also getting in on action here, buying the land up so they can sell it later on to the highest bidder. ;)

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tinhunter
Back