Pendley to be nominated to head BLM

I apologize for taking a break, but simple math shows this plan to be a loser. Five billion dollars to entirely wipe out 88k horses and burros works out to a little under 60K per animal. It would take a long time at $1.35/aum to recover that money.

Pendlay's concern over wild horses has far more to do with cattle grazing than wildlife numbers.
The money part is a joke (but thats what you get when you tie government land managers hands with bad laws) and so is kicking the can regarding wild horse populations. I dont have a problem with the BLM providing grazing leases for cattle if managed properly, so dont see a problem here with Pendely's "concerns" you are subscribing to him.

The money part is a joke (but thats what you get when you tie government land managers hands with bad laws) and so is kicking the can regarding wild horse populations. I dont have a problem with the BLM providing grazing leases for cattle if managed properly, so dont see a problem here with Pendely's "concerns" you are subscribing to him.

Bad laws can be changed and should be. Spending significant money so that the forage can be sold at a loss is likely part of the why nothing has been done. Pendlay,,if he wanted us to take him at his word about changing his thoughts concerning public lands,,, should have at the least recused himself from the wild horse dilemma. It clearly conflicts with his previous work.

I will answer this question after you answer one of my earlier questions. What has Pendely done as acting director of the BLM that you oppose to date?
1. My question was rhetorical.

2. Pendley continues to express his attitude of "multiple use" giving priority to resource extraction. His expressions do little to provide confidence in any conservation or protection of public lands, other than to accept credit for the work of others in attempting to assuage those who advocate for conservation, as previously shown in this thread.

3. I respect your attitudes and ideology regarding smart extraction of natural resources, particularly forest products. However, you may be naive regarding the potential for Pendley and those of his ideology to cause harm to and/or dispose of public lands.

Last guy to attempt to overturn some of the bad laws regarding wild horses and burros was Conrad Burns, and he got himself culled because of it. ;)

I volunteer to significantly reduce the number of wild horses across the West. I will do it for a mere pittance. I will only charge four billion dollars.

It’s a simple plan really. I will just rename them “elk” and tell Montana hunters there’s a new, expanded territory shoulder season.

Elk with saddles are off limits.

Last guy to attempt to overturn some of the bad laws regarding wild horses and burros was Conrad Burns, and he got himself culled because of it. ;)

I think that was well down the list of why he was not really culled,,, but rather put out to pasture.

So why do you desire to provide the public lands in public hands enemy Pendley more ammunition to bolster his crossfire firepower?
Obama appointed a lot of people I did not care for but I didn't get all bent over it because he won the election and that is what the winner gets to do. Obama appointed Salazar to head the DOI over the more fringe Grijalva, which I thought was smart and good choice.

At this point, as close as we are to the election, and with more pressing issues the Senate needs to address, I think it would be best to keep Pendely as active director. If Trump wins reelection I would like to see better choices to head the BLM, but ultimately the choice would rest with the elected President.

In the grand scheme of things however, this is low on my list of things to lose sleep over.

Some people on the other hot topic thread have commented that they don't see the need "give up" any more rights with regard to guns. Their argument that it is a long game of slowly chipping away at the edge to erode the bedrock of our 2nd amendment rights, at some point a line in the sand has to be drawn. This is how I perceive the threat to public lands. A slow attack on the edges, sure it'll be mixed with some positive PR, but when the overall trend even appears to be headed in the wrong direction, I'm going to get a stick and draw my line in the sand.

I volunteer to significantly reduce the number of wild horses across the West. I will do it for a mere pittance. I will only charge four billion dollars.

It’s a simple plan really. I will just rename them “elk” and tell Montana hunters there’s a new, expanded territory shoulder season.

Elk with saddles are off limits.

Four billion one million and you throw in rounding up Bundy's cattle?

He lost in a very close horse race. He stuck his neck out on the horse issue and it likely cost him.

Yes, it was very close. For those who disagreed with him regarding wild horses,,,, they had numerous other reasons to vote against him. I, for one, never held the horse issue against him.

It is always going to be a very tough sell to spend money to kill horses so ranchers can graze more cattle. Perhaps if grazing fees actually reflected reality.

That's a whole nother can of worms that Pendely has no control over in this position. Have you expressed you disapproval of the low grazing fees with Burns replacement? What was his position on it?

Do you really truly believe my opinion is changing a many decades practice of giving away grass to ranchers?? Really??

I write to both Senators,,, so they know what I think about a variety of issues. I don't expect it to change their thinking,,,not unless there is a chorus of voters weighing in.

Pendley/BLM approved hundreds of requests by oil companies to cut royalty payments during the current shut down. Of course, we don't know how many because the number isn't reported on the BLM website because there was a lot of pushback on that decision. States complained that it cut their revenue by hundreds of millions of $ and some by billions. Maybe you could blame Bernhardt, but guilt by association in my book. We need to get rid of all of them. In 5 to 10yrs this decision will be brought up in a meeting or in a report that tells states if they take the BLM land they will retain the decisions on royalties. The "long game" is to make so all states WANT to take the property because they can justify it financially. It is impossible to do that now, but if you start playing with assumptions and numbers it is possible.

Pendley/BLM approved hundreds of requests by oil companies to cut royalty payments during the current shut down. Of course, we don't know how many because the number isn't reported on the BLM website because there was a lot of pushback on that decision. States complained that it cut their revenue by hundreds of millions of $ and some by billions. Maybe you could blame Bernhardt, but guilt by association in my book. We need to get rid of all of them. In 5 to 10yrs this decision will be brought up in a meeting or in a report that tells states if they take the BLM land they will retain the decisions on royalties. The "long game" is to make so all states WANT to take the property because they can justify it financially. It is impossible to do that now, but if you start playing with assumptions and numbers it is possible.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back