packs

elk_hunter

Quick question -- can I get some feedback from you guys that can provide comparison data between the Eberlestock J104 and Mystery Ranch crew cab?

FYI, on a last-minute recommendation I bought a Badlands 4500 pack and used it to pack in this year. It sucked for many reasons...and now I'm reading a lot of negative reviews about it as well. Anyway, I'm dumping the pack and in search of a replacement, the J104 felt really comfy when I tried it on. And it can hold a lot more crap (up to 8000 or so cu.in.). But I know some guys on here love and swear by the MRCC. The J104 is a helluva lot cheaper than the MRCC, so is there anything compelling to make me switch to a MRCC?

Also take a gander at Kifaru packs...

You can get most all the features of the MRCC lots cheaper through Camalbak.

Just my opinion, buy whichever fits you and your uses best, packs are not a good place to county pennies...

If I was looking at an Eberlestock it would be the new JP 9 Blue Widow, it removes the rifle scabbard thus allowing a load to be closer to your back. Check it out:

http://www.eberlestock.com/JP9 Blue Widow.htm

That said I own a MR Crew Cab that I really like. I love the expansion capability of it and how small it really can be. I don't think the Crew Cab bag is the best one they make for extended pack trips where you are hauling camp in with you, yet is fully capable of doing that.

If you can, you should try out a couple diffrent packs and see what feels the best to you. Everyone has thier own idea of how one should feel loaded down.

I'm not a backpack guru by any means, I only get out a couple times a year and have only packed half a dozen 'heavy' loads in my MRCC since I got it 2 years ago. It packs better than any other pack I've every used or tried with out question. My legs/knees give out before my shoulders get sore. I have 4 other frame/internal frame packs as well and I find that no matter how I adjust them, they're always a pinch point of some sort, either the hips, shoulders, or I'm constantly shifting the weight by grabbing the pack up by my head, etc...

I had a Badlands 2200 Pack and sold it after one year. It worked ok for a day pack, it didn't have enough pockets and was funny shapped. I wouldn't want to pack more than a sandwich, spotting scope, water and a coat in it. It didn't fit me well at all.

I wish I would have taken a picture last month when I packed out my bull. I was able to open up the CC, stick the head wrap a strap here and one there cinch them all down and head off the mountain. No rope, re-ajusting, cussing or anything, litterly less than a minute I had an elk rack/skull, a bundle of meat strapped on and I was heading down the trail. Even after 2.5 miles of blowdowns and rocks, everything was still solid.

I wish I would have taken a picture last month when I packed out my bull. I was able to open up the CC, stick the head wrap a strap here and one there cinch them all down and head off the mountain. No rope, re-ajusting, cussing or anything, litterly less than a minute I had an elk rack/skull, a bundle of meat strapped on and I was heading down the trail. Even after 2.5 miles of blowdowns and rocks, everything was still solid.

Here is my Crew Cab with exactly what Bambi is talking about.
View attachment 6816

A full antelope in a Crew Cab, with room to spare, and no need for a spider's web of rope. Just use the straps that come with the pack.
View attachment 6817

Attachments

• IMG_2819.JPG
    IMG_2819.JPG
    149.7 KB · Views: 252
  • IMG_2742.JPG
    IMG_2742.JPG
    98.8 KB · Views: 251
Back