Why My Truck Sucks

When Armageddon arrives, please remember to relinquish any and all tech....over and out.

This is the best truck I’ve ever owned. It’s a 2005 Chevy Avalanche. I put over 100,000 miles on it before my first brake job. I sold it with over 180,000 miles on it with now major issues at all. Whenever I see a list of the most reliable trucks the Avalanche is always at, or near, the top of the list and I have to agree.

Picture 143.jpg

For some reason, Toyota uses a plastic filter canister on the Tundra. The last shop guy who installed mine obviously didn’t have his guess o meter calibrated to 30 ft lbs, because I had to use a breaker bar to get it off. I must have cracked it in the process, as I now have a steady drip of oil. New aluminum canister should be here by the middle of the week.

For some reason, Toyota uses a plastic filter canister on the Tundra. The last shop guy who installed mine obviously didn’t have his guess o meter calibrated to 30 ft lbs, because I had to use a breaker bar to get it off. I must have cracked it in the process, as I now have a steady drip of oil. New aluminum canister should be here by the middle of the week.
I never understood why Toyota used those canister filters. An aluminum housing sounds like a good fix.

I never understood why Toyota used those canister filters. An aluminum housing sounds like a good fix.
It’s not a good feeling when you see oil on your undercarriage and you’re a LONG way from town. Fortunately the dipstick checked okay.

I replaced the water pump on Doug a couple of weeks ago with help from CPO. Want something to really grind your gears? How about making a special trip to the Dodge dealer to get OEM pump from them, paying about $10 more for the privilege, having them tell you that although they still make the WP they no longer make the heater return fitting which now has to be gotten aftermarket, getting one on the way home, taking the old WP off, unboxing the new WP only to find that the new Dodge one is setup for a press in fitting and the new aftermarket fitting is screw in, finding out NONE of the aftermarket folks make press in fittings as they ALL use screw ins and having to buy an aftermarket pump after all that shiz :mad: (sorry for the crazy run on) The only thing that tempered my fury was that for some reason O'Reilly decided to refund my debit card the cost of the pump......have no idea why and I am NOT asking :)

My truck won’t tow the loads you are looking to tow, but FIW, I bought a 2016 Nissan Frontier 4X4 SV package with 6 ft bed new in 16. 62,000 and change on the odometer now. I’ve replaced tires and basic maintenance, but zero other issues. I bought it because it was everything I needed without a bunch of gizmos I didn’t. I don’t care about WiFi and screen size in any vehicle I own.

It sucks because the fuel mileage of 18-20 is the same as a larger truck with more capability and the turning radius sucks. Wish I had sprung, for the Pro-4X. It wouldn’t solved those issues, but it would be more capable off road. Needed the 6 ft bed, so probably couldn’t have gotten that in the Pro-4X.

I chose it because it doesn’t have a turbo (Italian for expensive to fix) and it has an old school 4 speed auto trans (which contributes to the poor fuel mileage). Also, since it has been basically the same truck since 09, I figured they had worked out the bugs. Tried and true tech.

So aside from the poor turning radius which shouldn’t be an issue on a midsized truck, it has been exactly what I expected it to be. Might need to trade it off so I can get a bigger camper, but does everything I “need”as it is!

My truck does not suck. 2016 Ram Big Horn 1500 4x4 Pentastar V6. Thing is bullet-proof, have run it all over creation and back. Put 38K miles on it, got it with 48K, not one blip so far. When I upgrade, it'll be another one but the 2500 gasser with 6.4L, 8 speed trans.

About to upgrade my 2012 Chevy 1500 LTZ 4wd to a 3/4 ton model. It has 206,000 pretty hard miles on it. Only big thing was the transmission last fall. $6k repair bill for that. I pull right at the maximum rating with it and really should have upgraded to a 3/4 ton when I upgraded to a toy hauler a few years ago. Struggling to decide between a gas or diesel 3/4 ton. The prices are outrageous on the new trucks. Right now I'm leaning toward a diesel with the medium LT trim level as if I got the exact truck I wanted it would be just north of $70,000!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back