Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Why My Truck Sucks

I'd have to disagree.

A truck with it's lowest point - which can often be it's rear diff - 10.7 inches off the ground is higher than a truck with it's lowest point 8.8 inches off the ground; each trucks tires and wheels will keep it that way unless changed. There's no getting around that fact.

Titans, especially up to 2015, had probably the most ground clearance off the lot of any full size truck I could find - only comparable really to Tundras and Raptors.
I am not particular to any brand but I understand how solid axles work, and like I said they are all about the same, that is a fact. Bit if you feel like an extra .4 of an inch of clearance somehow makes one more capable than the other so be it. I don't see much difference and doubt it would even be noticeable to most people.
2016 ram 1500 = 10.3
Raptor = 11.3
Tundra = 10.6
Tacoma = 9.4
Sierra 1500 - 9.1
Titan XD = 8.8
Siverado = 8.8
Colroado = 8.4
Canyon = 8.4
Nissan Frontier = 8.9

I think some people just like to split hairs. I remember a few years ago there were some guys doing the same thing about payload in the dodge ecodiesel. In realty who gives a rip as you will never notice the difference if one truck has a payload a couple hundred pounds more than the other. Some guys are just like that.

I am not particular to any brand but I understand how solid axles work, and like I said they are all about the same, that is a fact. Bit if you feel like an extra .4 of an inch of clearance somehow makes one more capable than the other so be it. I don't see much difference and doubt it would even be noticeable to most people.
2016 ram 1500 = 10.3
Raptor = 11.3
Tundra = 10.6
Tacoma = 9.4
Sierra 1500 - 9.1
Titan XD = 8.8
Siverado = 8.8
Colroado = 8.4
Canyon = 8.4
Nissan Frontier = 8.9

I think some people just like to split hairs. I remember a few years ago there were some guys doing the same thing about payload in the dodge ecodiesel. In realty who gives a rip as you will never notice the difference if one truck has a payload a couple hundred pounds more than the other. Some guys are just like that.

Assuming those were all measure to the lowest point of the vehicle, i.e. the rear diff, that doesn't seem like splitting hairs to me. I'd call those differences not insignificant when comparing the top and the bottom of the list.

Regardless, I prefer higher clearance trucks over lower clearance trucks. To each their own.

FWIW, Titan Pro4x's (non diesal) up to 2015 were 10.7".

Last edited:
I drove the crummy up a skid trail one time and that .400" sure would have come in handy. A front differential comes to a real quick stop when it meets a fresh cut pine stump.

PS. Do people with Ford Raptors REALLY take them off pavement? I have yet to see one on a well maintained gravel road, much less dirt.

If you're looking for a nice used Raptor come down to the Denver metro area in 2-3 years. There will be loads of them with low mileage, stock tires still, nice paint with only a couple shopping cart dings here and there, unused beds, and a few cheerios under the rear seat...

I drove the crummy up a skid trail one time and that .400" sure would have come in handy. A front differential comes to a real quick stop when it meets a fresh cut pine stump.
Do many 1/2 tons have a solid front axle anymore? I haven't noticed one in a long time.

I think we are splitting hairs about ground clearance on just the rear diff which the part that hangs down is only a few inches wide. So a 5" wide piece of diff hanging 1/2"-1" lower compared to another truck.

3/4 ton will beat them all with around 12" of clearance and some like the power wagon have over 14" of clearance if you are into that stuff. Or you can just buy a taller set of tires.

Assuming those were all measure to the lowest point of the vehicle, i.e. the rear diff, that doesn't seem like splitting hairs to me. I'd call those differences not insignificant when comparing the top and the bottom of the list.

Regardless, I prefer higher clearance trucks over lower clearance trucks. To each their own.

FWIW, Titan Pro4x's (non diesal) up to 2015 were 10.7".
How many times since you bought your truck do you think the extra clearance kept you from getting stuck?

FYI solid axles are all about the same and this really comes down to tire size more than anything. That's why the Raptor has more. has little to do with the truck or the brand. Same with the power wagon.

FWIW worth my 2500 with 285 tires has almost 13 inches of clearance. But I would not say its any more off road capable than the others on that list just due to the clearance as there are certainly other factors involved.

Can’t ever remember when a couple more inches of clearance would have helped. When the bottom drops out, 20 more won’t help.
I keep my ‘02 F250 for a hunting truck and loaner for the kids. It’s at 196k and costs me insurance and license plates. I’ve spent about $5000 total over the years on that 5.4, even with a blown plug. The ‘14 F250 with the 6.7 is the camper hauler. So far with 70k on it, I’ve only had the replace the wiper switch.
In my mind, thanks to dad, maintenance is the key to any truck lasting.

Isn't that parked on pavement? mtmuley
That could be from any number of state hwys in NM mud.
Raptors do look cool at the coffee shop, from what I have seen..........I rarely see them where I go.
There are a few local outfitters that have them I admit. Fancy ones. See way more Tacomas,ranch Fords,Dodges...
My old Tacoma has 15's w/taller tires,so still low diff. clearance in reality. Rarely a problem, as I do not drive willy nilly cross country, usually.

Last edited:
How many times since you bought your truck do you think the extra clearance kept you from getting stuck?

FYI solid axles are all about the same and this really comes down to tire size more than anything. That's why the Raptor has more. has little to do with the truck or the brand. Same with the power wagon.

FWIW worth my 2500 with 285 tires has almost 13 inches of clearance. But I would not say its any more off road capable than the others on that list just due to the clearance as there are certainly other factors involved.

right, wheel base is huge, gearing can be huge, wheel base combined with clearance is huge, blending to create good aproach angles or breakover angles - major factors there.

and it's hard to say, I'd have to get stuck before i could estimate if much more clearance would've helped or not, or if the extra clearance is making no difference - that's only to say I've only pushed it so far.

I think my only point here is that regardless of the make or brand, a truck with a stated ground clearance of say, 11", is in fact, higher, than a truck with a stated ground clearance of 8 or 9 inches. That is not "about the same" as you suggested. To me that is different. One being higher than the other. And when push comes to shove, more over less can be a nice thing.

id happily still hunt out of my 96 subaru legacy wagon, or any truck, they'll all do just fine. i was dead set on an f150 or a tacoma for the longest time. in the end i could easily afford a reasonably priced truck geared a little more towards off roading -- a truck, for a full size, with a relatively good blend of the aforementioned "off roading features"-- and i wanted it, so i bought it

Last edited:
I have a 2018 Dodge 1500 ecodiesel and so far it has been great. Just got back from a trip from Mammoth Lakes and almost surpassed 38 MPG for the trip. I only have around 18K miles so I can't speak to the longevity of the engine.

I guess I'm going to have to stay home. My truck didn't even make the list. :cry:

PS. Do people with Ford Raptors REALLY take them off pavement? I have yet to see one on a well maintained gravel road, much less dirt.
The guys I see with Raptors are into street racing with them. I never see one off road. Too expensive to scratch-up or dent.

I have a 2014 Ram Bighorn 2500. 80k and no real problems.

The heater core sucks. I had to replace it twice. I also had to replace the condenser once. The heat ducting in general sucks. You can melt your face off while also getting frostbite on your toes.

With that being said, I would buy the same truck twice.

2002 Toyota Sequoia, 265k.... Been a great truck. Only gripes I have are:
- can't put chains on the front
- can only lock center diff in 4Low, 1st gear. Toyota fixed this bonehead error a couple of years later.

I'd buy another but the next model year that started in 2008 or so doesn't have the 4WD capabilities that the first model year did.

2011 Chevy 2500 w/6.0
- replaced axle seals
- replaced cracked radiator @ 120k
- currently @ 160k and sitting in the shop waiting for a rebuilt tranny

other than that, it's been a great truck...think the tranny should have lasted longer though. hopefully I can get another 160k without major repair issues.

regarding the Raptor's, although i'd never consider one, a few years back on a goat hunt I came out a different trailhead than where i went in. from the top of the mountain, I had service and arranged a buddy to pick me up and drive me back to my trailhead. the road was rough and my chevy was uncomfortable going more than 10-15 mph due to hitting my head on the ceiling if I went any faster. he picked me up in the raptor and cruised ~45 mph up the road...smoothest ride I ever had.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back