Caribou Gear Tarp

Why My Truck Sucks

You aren't kidding there. They'll sink on blacktop. I have a 2011 megacab with 160K on it. I've had it deleted, need new ball joints, also need the universal joints changed although they "appear" to still be solid. Better safe than sorry. I had to replace sensors on the DPF and EGR system pretty much as often as changing the oil in it before the delete. After, it has been great. Also had to replace to fuel rail pressure sensor which wasn't cheap. Overall though, it has been a decent truck. I'll probably go back to 1/2 ton for my next truck in a few years though. I'll keep this one for any heavy tows around the house, but it's western trip days are pretty much over.
Yea in BLM mud a megacab is a stuck pig. But all that weight comes in handy pulling half tons out of the ditch as long as you keep it up on the level ground.

I had an 11 with the 6.7 and searched for 6 months to find a mega cab with the 5.9. I loved the power of the 6.7 but all the computer stuff and exhaust crap was more than I wanted to deal with. Now even when I buy equipment I try to go to 07 or earlier before the emission rules went into effect.

I am like you and will keep it just for towing a camper and occasional use hauling stuff in the bed. I have a POS 00 Denali I use for hunting and camp in so I am going to copy WLLM and get some sort of corolla next just for running around. No reason to drive the mega cab around town all the time.

I wouldn't trade my dodge for even a brand new one,,maybe my Toyota will only live about 100 k more or so,,i will buy another Toyota when I have to,,maybe a 2004 or so with a 4.0 v-6.
thanks for all of the input. I used to have a shop I could go to and ask about various vehicle and what to stay away from

I had a 2009 Silverado with the 5.3 and I never had a problem other than water pump failed when it was basically brand new. It had a 4 speed and 3.73 gears so mileage wasn't great. Sold it for more cab space so now I have a 2017 F150 with the 2.7. Can't think of anything I don't like yet. 25,000 miles and a few trips to WY under my belt and I'm satisfied with it. Like someone else said though, the tailgate and doors have gaps so dust gets literally everywhere.

I have a 2016 f150 that has been good to me so far. I went with the 5.0 because of direct injection issues( not just ford). Carbon buildup is an issue that all of the manufacturers are aware of. I do have to say that it is a capable 4 wheel drive with a rear locker.

Now the bad... no ground clearance at all and I will be either lifting it or at a minimum leveling it soon. Turning radius is terrible but with it being a crew cab it is understandable. No chains on the front is another negative.

Good luck!!

2016 F150 Lariat, Crewcab, FX4, 5.0 L V8, 53K miles

Costs a paycheck to fill up the tank (36 gallons)
Sync has been replaced twice. I know I know...first world problems, but still an issue I have faced.
Several recalls on this model but were all addressed with ease.
Leaf Springs are noisy when riding on rough terrain (greasing them helps the noise for a while)
The bed is too short being only 5.5 ft. Should've gone with the 6.5 ft bed, but it looks strange to me.
Too early to tell how she'll treat me in the long run, but I'll try and remain optimistic

I've had good luck in the past with Fords so I continue to buy them. I do the maintenance myself when I can (Oil changes, tire rotations, filters, etc.) I feel like all of the big three are decent trucks and they all have their pros and cons. I hear good things about Toyota and may give them a shot at some point in my life, but for now, I'll go with what has worked for me.

i must be the only one on this board that bought a randymobile - 2014 titan pro4x

truck is awesome. no problems yet. though, i haven't had it for all that long, bought it used a year ago.

after more thoroughly listening to randy and comparing vehicles, i realized there was no other truck i wanted - when you combine full size with high clearance, a suite of skid plates, and a locker, it really seemed to be the only option that was reasonably priced. and when you realize that f150's have as much clearance as a subaru crosstrek these days... well, it was an easy decision

if i had a complaint so far the factory suspension is trash on a titan pro4x from those years. will probably upgrade before long and level it while i'm at it

2010 Tundra 5.7 crew max, bought new in September 2009 with 4 miles on it. It has had 1 turn signal bulb, and 1 backup bulb replaced, a new set of tires - and a brake job. 74,000 miles.
Considering it one of the more lucky things in my life right now. Hard to not live and be happy with that.

The main things I require is 4wd, crew cab/ possibly double cab and capable of towing 8000lbs a few times a year without wearing itself out. 1/2 ton is nice for ride quality and fuel efficiency.

If you're going to be towing 8k pounds, you should consider something 3/4 ton'ish. That's a lot, even for the trucks of today. But don't let all the electronics scare you. The only vehicle I've had with electronics issues was my 04 Chevy. And it was constant.

I've had Ford ( a lot), Chev, Dodge, and Toyota fullsized trucks. My last one being a Ram 1500. I liked it the best out of all of them. Current is a Ford and next will be back into a Ram.

Well, I must say you all have muddied the water. Currently have a “98” Chev Z71 3 door extended cab with 126k miles and a “03” Ford F150 FX4 off-road with a 4 door extended cab. 145k miles. Both short beds. Neither truck has had any major issues but the extended cab door thing drives me crazy. Have done brakes on both and replaced the coil spark plugs on the Ford. Repairs have been consistently under $1000 and only a couple. Other than that, tires and basic maintenance.
Just put a bit over 2k miles on a hunting trip to Colorado with the Ford towing my 8ft cargo trailer.
I had a 2007 F250 CREW CAB King Ranch with a 6.0 diesel. Loved the bells and whistles and crew cab. What a $$$ pit. No end to the bulletproofing and failed attempts of maintaining a dependable truck. There is a reason they call them 6.Oh No....
I’ve just started shopping for a new truck. I’ve been thinking new safety and convenience upgrades, crew cab etc. I was going to sell the Z71 and keep the 03’ Ford.
Now, I need rethink things.....(I haven’t had a truck payment since 2004....)

If you're going to be towing 8k pounds, you should consider something 3/4 ton'ish. That's a lot, even for the trucks of today. But don't let all the electronics scare you. The only vehicle I've had with electronics issues was my 04 Chevy. And it was constant.

I've had Ford ( a lot), Chev, Dodge, and Toyota fullsized trucks. My last one being a Ram 1500. I liked it the best out of all of them. Current is a Ford and next will be back into a Ram.

I've tossed around the idea of a 3/4 ton but I figured since I rarely tow heavy most of the modern 1/2 tons are capable of that weight even if they aren't the best at it. If I towed heavy loads more frequently I'd definitely be getting a 3/4 ton.

The new electronics definitely scare me, my wife's 09 Impala has had so many sensors go out and electrical issues it's been a major pain. My sister has a 2010 Silverado...same thing. Like I said before, the new tractors I work on all have electrical and sensor issues. This new technology just hasn't proven trustworthy in my opinion.

i must be the only one on this board that bought a randymobile - 2014 titan pro4x

Many of us do not have a Nissan dealer anywhere close is part of the reason the Nissan's are not more popular.

As far as ground clearance if they have a solid rear axle the clearance is going to be about the same on any truck due to the rear diff. Skid plates and lockers are available on other trucks as well. Looking at the nissan suspension I do not see much difference compared to other trucks so I really don't see how it's any more/less capable than other trucks with similar options.

As far as ground clearance if they have a solid rear axle the clearance is going to be about the same on any truck due to the rear diff.

I'd have to disagree.

A truck with it's lowest point - which can often be it's rear diff - 10.7 inches off the ground is higher than a truck with it's lowest point 8.8 inches off the ground; each trucks tires and wheels will keep it that way unless changed. There's no getting around that fact.

Titans, especially up to 2015, had probably the most ground clearance off the lot of any full size truck I could find - only comparable really to Tundras and Raptors.

My current truck is a 2012 Tacoma double cab base model. I had to order it as they are hard to find in my area. Totaled my '03 GMC Sierra with half my hunting gear in it December of 2012, lost of bunch of gear to the tow company, sat on side of road with what gear I could grab, before I headed to get my head stapled back together. 😩

Anyway, I loved the Tacoma when I was single and it was just me and my two dogs, then down to one dog. Now as a married man with three dogs, long trips in this thing suck the big one. Their is just no room for gear in the cab and even in the bed after my coolers and totes are in.

It's been reliable though. I got it with 115 miles I think and now it has 126k. A/C compressor went out the first month I had it, replaced under warranty. T-boned by a drunk driver; floor pan, seat brackets, two doors, rear bumper and a bunch of other stuff replaced (don't ever get in a accident with a vehicle that holds it value) $7k in damages. This year my U joint had to be replaced, also did brakes, differential fluids, new battery, belt, tires, alignment and a few other things. Taking it to Colorado next month.

Looking at getting a Tundra or Titan next year. Keeping the Tacoma until it dies or someone kills it.

You know what sucks about my '14 Tundra? The headlights, they're dim...and that's about it. The average gas mileage is still better than my '90, '97, and '07 Chevys, and my '02 Dodge, and nothing mechanical has broken in 77,000 miles...

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back