Why My Truck Sucks

Brandon270

I enjoyed the thread that was made a while back about honest negatives and positives on what packs people are using. I'm in the market for a new truck in the next year or so and with all the new trucks and tech out there it boggles my mind. Often times people get so caught up in their truck or a specific brand everyone makes it sound like their truck is the best. I'd like to know what problems people have run into with their "newer trucks." Reliability is one of my highest priorities since I've had such great luck with my current truck.

Background for my truck.... 2005 Silverado regular cab 4wd, 5.3v8 with 3.42 rear end. Negatives on my truck is lack of cab space being a regular cab, not the best tower with 3.42 tall hearing. My average mpg is between 16-17 I've gotten up to 20 on long trips. I'm at 182k miles and have replaced the water pump and the top control arms due torn ball joint boots. Doesn't burn or drip a drop of oil. AC is still great. Other than maintenance items like spark plugs, serpentine belt etc this has been an extremely reliable truck. I tow an aluminum fishing boat that weighs around 1500-2000 loaded a couple times a month. The most I've towed is maybe 5,0000 but very rarely as this truck struggles with the tall gears.

These newer trucks have so many electronics in them now that they can be nightmares for reliability and constantly in a shop for re-flashes or scans or running in limp modes. I'm all for efficiency and high tow ratings, but not at the cost of being in the shop every other month. A few guys I know that have newer trucks have all had issues with them and they are all different brands and models.

Seems like getting a bare bones work truck 4x4 model with a basic v8 is the best chance of preventing issues. I've always been a Chevy guy but the afm problems they have with the newer trucks scares me. I like the idea of the new ecodiesels with their high mpgs and good tow ratings but I've also read nightmares of people having issues with them. I'm an Ag mehanic on a dairy and do the equipment maintenance and light repairs. Everything that we have replaced an older tractor or loader with a new model has been nothing but headaches, scr problems, def problems, electronics going out, sensors going out, any little problem and the whole thing shuts itself down and I can't even try to figure out what the issue is because a tech from a dealership has to come out and use a laptop to scan it. It seems like this is an issue for new tractors as well as cars and trucks.

The main things I require is 4wd, crew cab/ possibly double cab and capable of towing 8000lbs a few times a year without wearing itself out. 1/2 ton is nice for ride quality and fuel efficiency.

I'll hang on to the old single cab til it drops dead but it's time for a more family friendly truck. I'm not in a huge hurry, but it's nice to see what issues people have ran into so I know what to expect.

Last edited:
I have a 2004 Dodge 2500 Cummins. The motor has 294k on it, and is probably good for another 100k more.

The u joints are probably good for another 10k. New ones another 10k after that.

The ball joints are probably good for another 10k. New ones another 10k after that.

The wiring looms in each door require constant maintenance.

Diesel is expensive, and the mileage differential is pretty much gone with new trucks.

Tires never last more than 40k.

It takes 3 gallons of oil at each change

If you are not locked into any brand go to all the different dealer and test drive the ones you like. When you are ready to buy go get the one you liked best. Any of the trucks will be fine. I have driven chevys for 40 years and a friend has driven fords neither of us has had any major issues.

Mine's a 2006 w/ 120K miles on it, the AC doesn't work, the oh-shit handles have busted off already & it's got the turning radius of the USS Kittyhawk, but also this.

I have a 2004 Dodge 2500 Cummins. The motor has 294k on it, and is probably good for another 100k more.

The u joints are probably good for another 10k. New ones another 10k after that.

The ball joints are probably good for another 10k. New ones another 10k after that.

Diesel is expensive, and the mileage differential is pretty much gone with new trucks.

your 2005 chevy in all reality is probly one of the more reliable ones out there,,almost all new rigs have problems enginerred into them now,,even toyotas!!,,i love my 2000 tacoma trd,and my 2004.5 dodge ram 2500 cummins,,i honestly wouldnt buy anything new these days,,though the new chev silverado with the 3.0 inline 6 diesel would posibly deserve a look.or a toyota tundra w 5.7 i force?tacoma 4.0 mid 2000,s seem good also

If you are not locked into any brand go to all the different dealer and test drive the ones you like. When you are ready to buy go get the one you liked best. Any of the trucks will be fine. I have driven chevys for 40 years and a friend has driven fords neither of us has had any major issues.
Definitely not lockd in on a specific brand although I've had good luck with my Chevy. My dad's 99 2500 Silverado is at 350k and still chugging along.

I also most likely won't buy new maybe a couple years old if it's a good enough deal.

your 2005 chevy in all reality is probly one of the more reliable ones out there,,almost all new rigs have problems enginerred into them now,,even toyotas!!,,i love my 2000 tacoma trd,and my 2004.5 dodge ram 2500 cummins,,i honestly wouldnt buy anything new these days,,though the new chev silverado with the 3.0 inline 6 diesel would posibly deserve a look.or a toyota tundra w 5.7 i force?tacoma 4.0 mid 2000,s seem good also
That's basically the same exact thoughts I've had. I'd prefer old reliable over fancy and troublesome.

LOL. I have a 07 dodge megacab with 256k. Been a great truck, and I love having it in the mountains. With all my crap it weighs over 9k poounds so I feel somewhat safe with all the lunatic CO drivers out there who try to kill me on a regular basis while passing in heavy traffic. But all that weight comes at a price in the mud and snow.

I have never had any trouble with the wiring, but the GPS stopped working recently. Everything else still works. As you mentioned they eat ball joints. I finally got rid of the POS 2 piece driveshaft. Eats tires, and they are expensive. Turning radius of a school bus and can't park anywhere. But I love the space in the cab. Perfect back seat for tinder dates, lol.

Transmission cost just over 4k, yikes, but it sure is nice having a real torque converter instead of the POS factory job. Injectors are also quite expensive, but not as bad on the 04's.

Sometimes I think about selling it and getting a older toyota with no options. Ideally I just need one of the small s-10/ranger size trucks with a 4 banger diesel like they have everywhere else in the world. But it's paid for and I am just going to live with it as new trucks cost a small fortune these days and if you buy a new truck in Wyoming you bust your windshield on the highway and have hail damage within a few weeks anyway so the new wears off pretty quick.

Those new rangers are pretty sharp looking trucks, might be worth a look.

Ive been working on trucks for 30+ years and have seen alot,,I have no faith in fords anymore except they provide me a decent living.nothing like the old fords of the old days.
I have a 08 5.4 with 85,000 and was kicking around going to a ecoboost model. I have been told the 5.4 will last much longer then the body will. Are the ecoboost motors not all their cracked up to be?

I am just going to live with it as new trucks cost a small fortune these days

100% in this camp with my 03 Tundra. I had the front end redone, put Nittos on it every 30K or so and it’s good. My buddies give me crap because I am in the uncommon position where my wife has been ‘nagging’ me for years to get a new truck. I would be white knuckling just driving around town scared to park in a lot if I was sitting inside 50K+ worth of truck. Though, As my son gets big, I’m going to need something with a full back seat (mine is still the ‘access cab’ version with the clam shell doors). My wife’s truck is fine for most family trips, but prefer mine when we get into gnarlier country.

and if you buy a new truck in Wyoming you bust your windshield on the highway and have hail damage within a few weeks anyway so the new wears off pretty quick.
I was there for 24 hours a few weeks ago helping my buddy pack a bull out and both of those things happened to me before I even got out of Laramie city limits :) But, see above for why i didn’t care much (plus our insurance has a $75 new windshield rider - good every two years)

I shopped a long time, maybe 2-3 years, before making a decision on buying a truck. Take what I say with a grain of salt but from where I stand it seems to me every truck mfr has good and bad points. After looking at many models, I considered: buying new vs. used; diesel vs. gas; towing vs. not; daily driving; mpg; maintenance; insurance; 4x vs 2wd; crew cab vs double vs regular; mid vs full size; comfort. There was no way I was going to shell out the $$ it costs for a Denali or something of that sort so I settled on a 2016 Ram 1500 crew cab 3.6L short bed 4x which cost $23,000 and had 48k miles on it. It's not perfect by a long shot but it does what I need it to and, so far, it's very reliable.

I shopped a long time, maybe 2-3 years, before making a decision on buying a truck. Take what I say with a grain of salt but from where I stand it seems to me every truck mfr has good and bad points. After looking at many models, I considered: buying new vs. used; diesel vs. gas; towing vs. not; daily driving; mpg; maintenance; insurance; 4x vs 2wd; crew cab vs double vs regular; mid vs full size; comfort. There was no way I was going to shell out the $$ it costs for a Denali or something of that sort so I settled on a 2016 Ram 1500 crew cab 3.6L short bed 4x which cost $23,000 and had 48k miles on it. It's not perfect by a long shot but it does what I need it to and, so far, it's very reliable.
I hear ya, I need an all around truck, not a huge diesel that can pull a million pounds. I definitely can't afford a brand new truck, it'll be a daily driver, but it's gotta be able to work too. I'm totally fine with a used truck but something newer than my 05 would be great if it has good reliability.

there are issues with the ecoboost fords,,5.4 is a better moter except for the spark plug blow out issues on the early models.oil consumption seem to be a ecoboost common issue.

one of the best trucks ever made were the 67-72 f-250 ford pickups,,built like a tank,but drank fuel,{back in those days fuel was .65 a gallon,,not a concern}you could make a entire honda with one of those 3/4" thick ford door hinges back in the day,,remember the old watermelon farmer movie, charles bronson,jumping the truck like dukes of hazard. now that was a real truck you will never see again.too bad they are almost all scrapped by now.

My truck sucks because it cost a lot, but it is, by far, the best truck I've ever owned or used or even ridden in. It is a 2016 F150, and unlike dan above, after having both the 5.4 and the 2.3 Ecoboost, I'll take the latter over the former every day, and twice on Sundays. Both engines were used for on and off road work and towing up to 7500 lbs at interstate speeds +9. Both got the job done, but one did it with less strain and less repair and less gas than the other.

The 5.4 engine block was replaced under warranty, while the 2.3 has had no problems whatsoever and no oil consumption either. The 2.3 will out pull, out accelerate, and use less gas than the 5.4, while being more reliable. It isn't even close.

But, hey, that's just me.

Last edited:
My truck sucks because it cost a lot, but it is, by far, the best truck I've ever owned or used or even ridden in. It is a 2016 F150, and unlike dan above, after having both the 5.4 and the 2.3 Ecoboost, I'll take the later over the former every day, and twice on Sundays. Both engines were used for on and off road work and towing up to 7500 lbs at interstate speeds +9. Both got the job done, but one did it with less strain and less repair and less gas than the other.

The 5.4 engine block was replaced under warranty, while the 2.3 has had no problems whatsoever and no oil consumption either. The 2.3 will out pull, out accelerate, and use less gas than the 5.4, while being more reliable. It isn't even close.

But, hey, that's just me.
The truck I use at work is an 09 f-350 with the 5.4. It has 88k on it and already needed a head gasket, and just this week it started ticking under throttle, sounds like a valve. I wonder how the 5.0 compares to the 5.4 in the f150. I like the idea of these turbo trucks but still a bit leary about them too.

Leeriness is the only reason that the 5.4 conventional still exists. It will go the way of the dodo sooner than later.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back