Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Help Me Choose My First Pack (Updated)

Turns out I can get a pretty decent discount on SG as well.
I'm going to dig into their packs/frames and see if I get the warm and fuzzies

Had a kuiu 1850 for day hunts that I would pack I may 5200 for spike hunts. Packed worked great (so I thought) ended up stopping in BZN and tried a SG. Ended up leaving with one and it made my "great" kuiu look so so. My hunting partner used the Exo was very happy with it until he tried my SG on. He now owns one as well. With that said I would still recommend the kuiu to someone who doesn't want to spend the $$ on an SG. Although know you get what you pay for.

Also I was the same as you in thinking I wanted a pack that wasn't "plain" just caused me to pack more worthless crap and spend to much time looking for stuff. The SG is perfect for what I do and carried 100+# very nice considering (nothing is going to make 100# feel good)

Like mentioned I would explain to the wife your rational for buying all 3 knowing you will send 2 back and only lose shipping.

Best of luck with your search and remember it boils down to what is comfortable on your back.

I used a mystery ranch for 4 years, it was great. Swithced to a stone glacier this last year and am never going back. If I was you I'd at least look into stone glacier.

Packs are like boots. Fit and function is different for everyone. I have a Outdoorsmans pack and love it. It is indestructible but heavy compared to others but it fits me good and is comfortable. I have a friend that tried 4 different manufacturers packs before he found one that fit him and was comfortable. All the manufacturers worked with him and took the pack back if it wouldn't work.

I'm starting to gear up for my first elk hunt this year. I have been looking at this a lot lately and I think I'm going to go with either the Metcalf or maybe the Beartooth 80. I'm taking my son as well so I'll probably be packing a lot for the both of us so I think the size is going to be necessary. Hope you find one that fits you well!

I'm starting to gear up for my first elk hunt this year. I have been looking at this a lot lately and I think I'm going to go with either the Metcalf or maybe the Beartooth 80. I'm taking my son as well so I'll probably be packing a lot for the both of us so I think the size is going to be necessary. Hope you find one that fits you well!
The bigger the pack the more useless stuff you’ll fill it with. Unless you’re doing multi day backpack hunts get the metcalf.

Seems like the popular opinion these days is to get a bag bigger than you'll need and utilize the compression straps on the pack to keep it small while hunting
It's easier to make a big bag smaller, than a small bag bigger.

I've used a Metcalf on 7+day backpack hunts. It'll work, but it's tight.

Cant go far wrong with either of them.
I didnt like the previous version of the ico pro however they since adressed many of it's short comings.
I have three MR packs right now and they served me well. I also have a kifaru.

There are pros and cons with all of them

You already received the best advice....order the ones you're looking at and find the one that fits you best, has the features you want, and return the rest.

I always get a kick out of these threads where people say "this is best", yes, maybe for you they are but everyone one is built different. Just like boot threads, you are never going to know what fits and works best for you until you try them on.

I was given a new badlands pack and I hate it. Hiked with it but never packed an animal out. I have packed an elk out with a Kifaru and a Stone Glacier and both are great but to be an also looking to try either an MR or maybe an Exo. Price is a factor as I have a few other things I need to upgrade this season so I am leaning toward MR but am being patient. Want to do some backpacking this summer prior to the season to get the feel. Hopefully I can sell the Badlands pack and maybe convince myself to get the exo but both sound good.

I was given a new badlands pack and I hate it. Hiked with it but never packed an animal out. I have packed an elk out with a Kifaru and a Stone Glacier and both are great but to be an also looking to try either an MR or maybe an Exo. Price is a factor as I have a few other things I need to upgrade this season so I am leaning toward MR but am being patient. Want to do some backpacking this summer prior to the season to get the feel. Hopefully I can sell the Badlands pack and maybe convince myself to get the exo but both sound good.
I havent heard anything good about badlands, other than if you're on a really tight budget they'll get you through but not comfortably

I have used both. Started with the MR and used it on dall sheep hunt. Its a great pack and extremely durable. I switched to a Kuiu and love that. With the Kuiu I can switch the packs depending on what I am doing. Its lighter which I appreciate as I get older. If you want a used MR PM me.

Back