Meat hauling pack $250 budget

Red Fox

I have the same pack as you and spent many days rucking it up. Thinking I would use it for hunting and it did the job but after getting an elk out last winter I said never again. I found a used SG Evo online and picked it up for 375. After packing out my bear two miles this spring along with my boy it was money well spent. I know I read on here to just bite the bullet and spend the money on one pack. They are right as I can see going further and not worrying about after the shot.

If you keep your eye out for a used one you may get close to your budget ang will be happier in the long run

Chippewa

I went with Alps Commander-X hauler $200 and an their Orange 30l dry bag. I called them then an got some more snap buckles an webbing to make use of extra female ends on bag. I had a small orange molle bag setup firstaid an a medium for a kill kit. Been hiking with 50lbs weight an no real complaints. Pack harness is cushy, adjustable, easily carries more than I care to. The dry bag is so nice for kayakin then. Like to get more use then just hunts

Tufrthnails

I want to take the time to thank everyone that has added valuable input. I am taking some of your advice and trying to get an extra OT day here at work to bump my budget more toward $500 budget and listen to you guys on the buy once cry once. I will still be very interested in used gear. After really watching the resale values of quality packs I am thinking if we don't end up really liking the western hunting thing then I should easily be able to recoup a major portion of my investment and if we do like it well you guys say it best buy once cry once. This is the only major hunting purchase I have on my list this year. Although if we fall in love with western style hunting I can forsee a long list of stuff I am going to be looking for in the next few years.

Boarmaster

I would buy a good used MR pack. Its still the same great quality pack as when it was new. Just a little more affordable.
If you go new watch for sales at all the online dealers. Use any promo codes as well. I bought my new (MSRP $450) Sawtooth 45 for $329 to my door not long ago.

Tufrthnails

I would buy a good used MR pack. Its still the same great quality pack as when it was new. Just a little more affordable.
If you go new watch for sales at all the online dealers. Use any promo codes as well. I bought my new (MSRP $450) Sawtooth 45 for $329 to my door not long ago.
How do u like your sawtooth? That is the size I am leaning towards. Not to big to hump on a day trip, but big enough I could do a couple day trip in the future without having to buy another pack.

WVgoodguy22

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/cabelas-multi-day-hunting-pack I am thinking about getting this one, looks like it can do everything I need for a pack in and out of elk sized game or smaller. Plus only $219 which is more in my pay grade. For some reason it is not on the Cabela's website, but is on Bass Pro's website. I really like the versatility and the Cabela's Octane O2 camo pattern fits the northern Rocky Mountain areas perfectly.

PaulRevere

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/cabelas-multi-day-hunting-pack I am thinking about getting this one, looks like it can do everything I need for a pack in and out of elk sized game or smaller. Plus only $219 which is more in my pay grade. For some reason it is not on the Cabela's website, but is on Bass Pro's website. I really like the versatility and the Cabela's Octane O2 camo pattern fits the northern Rocky Mountain areas perfectly.
Pretty heavy pack.

MT.PERCHMAN

I used my Eberlestock just one last year to pack out a whole deer one trip . Packed Elk meat year before . It was tough on me last year with the Open Heart Surgery but I just took it slow ! I think about the long pack out evertime I have Deer meat for dinner !!
If your on the low low budget the Aluminum frame packs work fine . Lots of them at garage sales. They are just noisy and a little bulky .
You might up grade after this yeas trip !
Good luck !

MT.PERCHMAN

WVgoodguy22

Pretty heavy pack.
Awe that is a bummer, it looks good and has pretty much 90% of a Mystery Ranch or Stone Glacier for half the price. But it is half the price for a reason I guess. I am not sure if it is at my local Cabela's for me to try out at least. For some reason it isn't on their website. I may have to call ahead before I go up there and see if it is there or not. Thanks for the heads up on the weight. My rifle is already 8.4 lbs without scope, rings, and bipod, so I don't need my pack to be super heavy for its size.

SnowyMountaineer

There was a used Arc'teryx Bora on Rokslide for well under your $250 the other day. I'd happily backpack hunt with a pre 2005 Bora, older Dana, or used MR before any sub-$250 current model "hunting" pack that I'm aware of. For day type hunts there are a million useable options.