Our Own Worst Enemies?

The comments of decreasing access illustrate the importance to make sure the public lands of the west do not get sold. Some day, the public lands may be the last place of free access for hunting. All the more reason to make funding of state wildlife management areas a priority. All the more reason for hunters to continue pressing Congress to fully fund the LWCF program that is used across the country to help get more public land access.

All studies show that largest reason people quit hunting, do not hunt as much as they once did, or do not get into hunting when they come from a hunting family - Lack of a place to hunt. My motto to any politician seeking hunter's votes - "It's the access, stupid."

Sorry to deviate where you might see this thread going, but protecting access to the existing Federal and State lands is paramount to the future of hunting, as is increasing access to more Federal and State lands. The trend mentioned here is most likely to only get worse, increasing the importance of public lands.

The comments of decreasing access illustrate the importance to make sure the public lands of the west do not get sold.

I've heard more than one eastern hunter suggest, that selling ALL public land is the only answer to our National debt...

Just to clarify: I'm not supporting the idea.

I'm just enforcing the fact that, selling off public lands is an idea that has traction with some hunters.

I've heard more than one eastern hunter suggest, that selling ALL public land is the only answer to our National debt...

I guess it depends where in the east you are because I've never heard anyone support selling public lands. But there is a lot of public land in NY so it may be valued more.

Great points Big Fin Not looking to have you all move here, but in NH I would bet I could hunt from my house to the Canadian Border (130 MI,S) with very few if any detours. My point from my little world is it makes me sad to think possibly fellow hunters may be as big a threat to my children and someday ( not to soon I hope! ) grandchildrens future. Maybe we don't have the quality of animals here as other states but to me it's about the hunt which I do 2-300 days a year mostly within a couple miles from my house. Sad to think that someday they will have to pay more than the other guy to have access to a small piece of ground. Just saying,

The comments of decreasing access illustrate the importance to make sure the public lands of the west do not get sold. Some day, the public lands may be the last place of free access for hunting. All the more reason to make funding of state wildlife management areas a priority. All the more reason for hunters to continue pressing Congress to fully fund the LWCF program that is used across the country to help get more public land access.

All studies show that largest reason people quit hunting, do not hunt as much as they once did, or do not get into hunting when they come from a hunting family - Lack of a place to hunt. My motto to any politician seeking hunter's votes - "It's the access, stupid."

Sorry to deviate where you might see this thread going, but protecting access to the existing Federal and State lands is paramount to the future of hunting, as is increasing access to more Federal and State lands. The trend mentioned here is most likely to only get worse, increasing the importance of public lands.

I agree totally Fin, but I don't think we should stop with just State and Federal lands, but supporting such things as Block Management here in Montana(not sure what other states have) is needed as well!

I'll always support a landowners right to post his property and allow whomever he wishes to hunt it. But one thing that does annoy me is posting CRP ground. Does anyone else find it a little hypocritical that a landowner is ok taking taxpayer money, but is unwilling to allow taxpayers to cross the property?
CRP does not change the ownership of the ground. I find your post a bit ironic in that you support private property rights in the first sentence and in the third sentence imply that landowners are hypocrits for not allowing access because of their participation in a federal program. What's really funny you don't bring up that most all other farmland, and in many cases non-ag land, that is in private ownership that recieves some form of compensation from the state or federal government in the form of either direct payments or tax breaks.

CRP does not change the ownership of the ground. I find your post a bit ironic in that you support private property rights in the first sentence and in the third sentence imply that landowners are hypocrits for not allowing access because of their participation in a federal program. What's really funny you don't bring up that most all other farmland, and in many cases non-ag land, that is in private ownership that recieves some form of compensation from the state or federal government in the form of either direct payments or tax breaks.

You guys are right. It's just my sour grapes talking.:eek: The particular situation I'm frustrated with, the landowner is getting paid many thousands of dollars a year to improve wildlife habitat but has locked the public out of many thousands of acres of national forest. So, my gross oversimplification implies that we're paying for his private game preserve. Whether that's right wrong or someplace in between it doesn't matter because it's the way it is.

Last edited:
You guys are right. It's just my sour grapes talking.:eek: The particular situation I'm frustrated with, the landowner is getting paid many thousands of dollars a year to improve wildlife habitat but has locked the public out of many thousands of acres of national forest. So, my gross oversimplification implies that we're paying for his private game preserve. Whether that's right wrong or someplace in between it doesn't matter because it's the way it is.
I've ate those same grapes... However, in the end, I feel that more and better habitat is still a better way to move forward, even if I can't set foot on the place.

I've ate those same grapes... However, in the end, I feel that more and better habitat is still a better way to move forward, even if I can't set foot on the place.

Plus, a smart person MAY be able to set foot on some neighboring land...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1_pointer

"They were still so young they hadn't learned to count the odds and to sense they might owe the universe a tragedy"
Hmmm...that's probably not a bad idea. :D

that is spot on correct! If you can't get in on the top spot, try the surrounding areas. I know here in IN the rut activity will make them travel and at this time of year nothing beats a cornfield. . .so if the neighboring place is just a cornfield. . .count me in, I can kill deer there for sure! may not be my first pick, but, these days you take what you can get and you take care of it!

I've seen it work...

IMG_2731.JPG

Back