Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Our Own Worst Enemies?

live free or die

Maybe I am spoiled living in a state where you can we can hunt almost anywhere! It is the responsibility of the landowner to "legally" post his land if he wishes. Signs need to be no more than 50 yds apart all the way around the property and he cannot get a huge " current use" tax break if he does limit access. What bothers me though is the growing popularity of HUNTERS buying up large tracks in hopes of creating their own little "deer paradise" I feel the popular Sportsman TV shows help to promote these ideals ( Kisky's, Lacosky's etc.) I went to NY this year and every farm there was posted presumably by hunting clubs. Personally I feel that if you post your property, you should not be allowed to hunt on someone else's who do not! Wondering how you guy's out west feel about this, aren't ranches similar? Sell tags, rights, etc. to highest bidder. How long untill our sport is only for the upper class?

It's private property and a person should be able to do whatever they want with it. The days when I was growing up in the 50s and 60s where a polite request to hunt and maybe help with farm chores for the right to hunt a piece of property is about gone and that's sad, but it is the way it is.

It's private property and a person should be able to do whatever they want with it. The days when I was growing up in the 50s and 60s where a polite request to hunt and maybe help with farm chores for the right to hunt a piece of property is about gone and that's sad, but it is the way it is.

your right Topgun it is sad and I believe in landowners rights to an extent. The wildlife on the property are wards of the "state" and regulated as such. Here we do encourage asking permission and most folks do show their apprciation for such access somehow.

North Dakota also requires land owners to post their land.

Do they require signs every 50 yards like the OP said? That seems way overboard expecially for big ranches.

I figured by his "you guys out west" in his post he was talking about somewhere in the eastern US.

I`m not from "out west", but I have to agree with this. ^^^^
I have my own property and three others to hunt on that I exclusively hunt. The others are from great friends of mine who have no interest to hunting. They want me on it and no one else, so it is between three of us land owners, and no one else.

So, is your point, using my situation as an example, that I should just hunt my property and let out of staters or anyone else hunt the other three but me? If that were the case, the other properties would just be sitting with no hunting. Now that would be "our worst enemy".

Personally I feel that if you post your property, you should not be allowed to hunt on someone else's who do not!
How in the heck could this idea ever be regulated or enforced? Just seems silly. Though I do agree that wildlife is "owned" by the state, that doesn't, nor should it, limit the authority of a landowner to restrict access or uses of their land.

I'm going to make a guess, but I presume that your post was started because you lost access to a piece of ground you hunt. It's happened to me. In states with limited public land, like where I live, you have to make choices. Starting knocking on doors and asking for permission, buying your own dirt, or leasing some land are all viable options. I too think the outdoor media has driven up the price and regularity of buying/leasing, but that's not going away. If you want good hunting you too will make it happen and can do so on public land as well.

Good points Tyler;

Hunt ground in these parts are in season to season flux as per price and availability. Much of it around these parts are in latter generation ownership. The lease price goes up and realtors are retained regularly. With the drought and an aging primogenitor/heirs interested in liquidation it's pretty much a given that your days are numbered even on the best of legacied lessee/lessor relationships.

Sort of a funny story...was browsing the net for land last year and came across a site featuring weekend hunts in the same county where we had a spot leased. It had some trophy pics of some very nice whiteys. Lo and behold it was the place we had leased that was booking hunts for the next season at some stiff weekend rates. Have no idea where the deer pics came from...definitely not from our spot though. The spurious weekend deal didn't work out and some of my buds still lease there but the rates were raised and owner pledges were broken. I opted out.

As you said pointer, it is what it is. You adapt, pay more, and hunt out of state if you can draw.

That said, I have no class envy for the owners....most of them have plenty of their own problems.

I remember the days of "If it is Timber Co Land" you could hunt just about anywhere. The first lease I heard about around here was in the early 70's and by the end of the 70's if you were not on a lease you hunted the National Forest or a relative's property.
In NW Louisiana a Lease will cost you around 4-6 dollars an acre with insurance, with leases in South Louisiana running as high as $20 an Acre for a choice spot. Most have you record what you shoot, we shoot maybe one 8 point a year and several dinks and Does. You write down you shot a 145 class 10 point and your liable to see your lease you worked so hard on come up for Auction! So, we just shoot Dinks! Check around and set up your own Deer Lease, be proactive if you want a place to hunt. John

I agree with alot of the comments thus far. I do think that the time is coming where all of the private land will be leased. . . I sure hope its not in my lifetime! I guess I'm one of the lucky ones, and I'm very thankful for that. I have 4 private farms here in Indiana that I can hunt. 73 acres, 90 acres, 120 acres, and 140 acres. . .all are loaded with deer, turkeys, etc. Just a short version of how that happens. . .I helped an older lady whos car was stuck about 10 yrs ago, we got to talking and she asked if I was a hunter. .I said sure am, she said well I have 90 acres here (all woods) that nobody hunts on and if you would like to bowhunt here that would be fine. ( I still take her bags of venison every year) and I'm the only one that hunts it. The 73 acres connected to it on the south side I got permission from the owner because the older lady had commented to him how well I took care of the place and watched out for her if she needed anything. ( again the only one who hunts there) the 140 acres I got last summer when I delivered a load of firewood to an older couple, again we were talking and they said they had a ton of deer by the river that were playing havoc on their corn. . .I asked if anyone hunted there. . .they said no. . .I asked if it would be ok If my Dad and I and a buddy hunted it, they said sure. . .I make sure they don't run out of wood! lol. I know these are just lucky times, but, you have to be nice and ask . . .you just don't know. On the other. . .all of these farms are posted, and I believe its every 50 or 100 ft. Just my 2cents . . .but it can be done, places are out there to hunt. . .just gotta work sometimes.

The way things are going is sad. I don't think there is a solution to this issue but commend you for trying to find one.

Maybe I am spoiled living in a state where you can we can hunt almost anywhere! It is the responsibility of the landowner to "legally" post his land if he wishes. Signs need to be no more than 50 yds apart all the way around the property and he cannot get a huge " current use" tax break if he does limit access. What bothers me though is the growing popularity of HUNTERS buying up large tracks in hopes of creating their own little "deer paradise" I feel the popular Sportsman TV shows help to promote these ideals ( Kisky's, Lacosky's etc.) I went to NY this year and every farm there was posted presumably by hunting clubs. Personally I feel that if you post your property, you should not be allowed to hunt on someone else's who do not! Wondering how you guy's out west feel about this, aren't ranches similar? Sell tags, rights, etc. to highest bidder. How long untill our sport is only for the upper class?

Maybe if you filled in your profile we would know where your talking about;) just a hint

I would rather have hunters buying the land instead of realtors. At least it stays in the sport instead of going up in houses. As far as posting your land and hunting somebody else's as well no foul there either. Sounds like they are ambitious and loved hunting. Good on them.

I'll always support a landowners right to post his property and allow whomever he wishes to hunt it. But one thing that does annoy me is posting CRP ground. Does anyone else find it a little hypocritical that a landowner is ok taking taxpayer money, but is unwilling to allow taxpayers to cross the property?

I'll always support a landowners right to post his property and allow whomever he wishes to hunt it. But one thing that does annoy me is posting CRP ground. Does anyone else find it a little hypocritical that a landowner is ok taking taxpayer money, but is unwilling to allow taxpayers to cross the property?

So, if I see someone buying cigarettes and beer with food stamps, I should be able to drive their Cadillac?:D

The thought process that someone should be allowed to hunt at their convience on property that you sweated and paid for on your own just seems so wrong to me.

How 'bout I go throw a tent up in your front yard and start a campfire up? If you're out of town for the weekend, I'll just go inside your house and make myself at home. I won't hurt anything, I promise. Maybe you are taking a childcare credit on your tax return, you are getting subsidized by the government to have kids so you should open your home to me since I pay taxes.

With that said, I think the number of folks that would grant access to someone like RUT JUNKEY who helps them out a little bit with chores and stuff like that is a lot higher than most people think. Especially if there is a kid involved.

Then again, I've heard plenty of horror stories of folks getting permission to hunt with their kids and then either not bringing their kids with them, or doing a bunch of illegal stuff and leaving the place a horrible mess as a terrible example to their kids.

In Texas you aren't required to post your property or even fence it. If it isn't your property you shouldn't be on it without permission. I believe it is a felony violation if you are caught with a firearm trespassing on someones property.

Do they require signs every 50 yards like the OP said? That seems way overboard expecially for big ranches.

Here in Pennsylvania there has to be a signed and dated "POSTED" sign at least every 50 yards. That's along each border of the property, not just road frontage.

npaden, my partner runs cattle here in N Tx. He told me last week that purple cornerposts signify no trespassing.

http://www.easttexasland.com/what-do-purple-markings-on-fenceposts-in-texas-mean/

I knew about the purple paint but didn't think I needed to mess with it. Reading into it some more I think you are right. I think I'm still okay because I do have a barbed wire fence around my property and no tresspassing signs at the gate, but I guess I was wrong about the no fence part. It does talk about agriculture land without fencing and makes it sound like that is trespassing.

Maybe it is somewhere in the hunting code that has the stiffer rules on tresspassing.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JRP325
Back