Losing the Family Farm

What kind of relationship do you have with your parents to find out that they are selling the farm the same day they list it?
I am 1,000 miles away and my moms health has gotten worse in the last few months. My 85 year old dad panicked and contacted a realtor. Sorry.

It very much emotionally hurt when I had to go thru this a few years ago. I had a lot of memories, time, money, and sweat invested into that property. At the end of the day we had to let it go.

The comfort of having it and knowing it intimately is the biggest lost.

Now with my kids and time to reflect I am excited about new opportunities elsewhere. I’ve started venturing out more to places I would have never tried. This process sucks but there is light at the end of it has to be let go.
Well , I know I'll regret this but after he called me a dick , who cares , LOL .
The Op went two paragraphs about what a sweet hunting deal he had and one sentence about his folks needs as they age . The fact that he didn't know they were in dire straights but he had blood sweat and tears into his hunting spot showed me where his priorities lay .
At 56 years old I would think he should be able to put his folks needs in front of his luxuries or privilege's .
His dad must be freaking out , wife in bad health , short on money , old and all alone .
What's the OP's main concern ? Losing his hunting spot .
Seems sad to me .

Well , I know I'll regret this but after he called me a dick , who cares , LOL .
The Op went two paragraphs about what a sweet hunting deal he had and one sentence about his folks needs as they age . The fact that he didn't know they were in dire straights but he had blood sweat and tears into his hunting spot showed me where his priorities lay .
At 56 years old I would think he should be able to put his folks needs in front of his luxuries or privilege's .
His dad must be freaking out , wife in bad health , short on money , old and all alone .
What's the OP's main concern ? Losing his hunting spot .
Seems sad to me .
I know in my case there were tons of conversations over months that took place before any decision to list. I do wonder about what you posted. But atlas it’s not my place to criticize as this is a tough pill to swallow when it happens, some folks deal with stuff differently.

Thanks everyone....(even the dick)! We are making progress. Possibly setting up an llc to buy the property. Give parents 50k up front and a certain amount each month.

Making calls to a lawyer on Monday.
I hope you can make it work. My family has sold so much amazing land before or just after I was born. Just truly bums me out to think about it

The kid rock song?
"Working like a bitch like a god damn tank,
Some disagree because my rents had bank
But all that's gold non't always glitter,
So I'll take another puff from my one hitter"

If you can manage to buy it somehow I say go for it. It's not the things you do that haunt you it's the things you don't. I'd give a lot to go back in time and do a couple things over that I thought I'd never be able to pull off. Once the family farm is sold its gone and it's not coming back. I hope it works out for you.

For the record, I didn't call you a dick. I merely agreed with your assessment. I don't know you and wouldn't judge you.
Bummer he took it that way. I actually read your response as playing the humor card since he said it first.

I have no advice on your situation but I can offer condolences and understanding. Went through something similar a few years back when I helped get my family home where I grew up ready for sale. It was emotionally draining to sift through 30 years of memories knowing it was to get rid of it. Wishing you and your family the best outcome possible. Sounds like an incredible place

Something that everyone should think about. If your parents run up a bunch of nursing home bills that they can’t pay, their property can be taken away. It has to have been out of their name for 5 years. It’s good to plan ahead to prevent the loss of family property.

In nz in the 60ties there was a cartoonist who would transfer a situation onto paper. But before I transfer your situation I must tell you a story of a Polynesian chief, he was a bit of a trouble maker and to save his life he departed his birthplace and set up at the bottom end of the northern island. From his new position he could see over the sea that there was another island across a large straight and being a but of a gypsy he ventured over and claimed the northern part as his own. To show his hold every summer he would venture down and plant sweet potatoes etc. Another words he stamped the place.
So this is how I envisage the cartoonist transferring your situation onto paper.
There you are standing on the edge of a large cliff with the words shall I or shall I not.
It's quite simple if you follow the chiefs example, sell what you have and buy your parents out, this way there can never be a disagreement between your brother and you should things change in the future.
Enjoy your new laidback lifestyle.

I know in my case there were tons of conversations over months that took place before any decision to list. I do wonder about what you posted. But atlas it’s not my place to criticize as this is a tough pill to swallow when it happens, some folks deal with stuff differently.
Same for us when my parents decided having a place in the woods was to much for them and they needed to move closer to civilization . They offered it to us , the kids , but we knew they'd get more selling it to someone else , so we passed .
We put the needs of our parents first .
But , if you put your personal business on the internet and ask for opinions you should be ready to hear the from someone who has a different perspective , again just my two cents .

Thanks everyone....(even the dick)! We are making progress. Possibly setting up an llc to buy the property. Give parents 50k up front and a certain amount each month.

Making calls to a lawyer on Monday.
Hmmm , sure looks like you called me a dick ? You could've worded it much different , but I really don't care and I'm not upset . I am sorry about your situation , just thought I'd try to get you to see the big picture .
Hope it works out well for you , and your parents .
Good luck .

Not to sound like a dick , but maybe it's time you started finding your own piece of land to hunt . Sounds like you've been relying on your parents for too long to me . Let your parents do whats right for them and you move on . Hunt public land or go west . The world will keep turning no matter what happens to the farm . My parents did the same thing when they got old , so did my grandparents , circle of life , IMO . Just my two cents .
Thats a cold ass reply. and you do sound like a dick.

I'm sorry for what your family is going through. I feel for your folks having to leave the farm. I have similiar decisions to make in the upcoming years. I live on 160ac with good hunting but more so peace and quiet. At 69 I'm slowing down and the work and maintenance gets harder every year. I hate the thought of living in town after having so much freedom. I wish I had family to take it over like you want to do. I hope it works out for you.

Time to move back closer to home or say goodbye to the old farm. If you or your son don’t ever plan to live near the property, move on to the next phase.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1st BDX Scope
Back