Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Memorial Weekend - Thank God I was riding with Private Malone.

Sytes

To this Memorial Holiday weekend. Feel free to share your friends and (or) family member(s) who gave all.

My share - an annual reflection on HT:

I would imagine most Americans have some direct or indirect link to an American soldier who gave all for our Country. Today, tomorrow, and Monday I shall tip my glass of Woodford Reserve to all who served and to those who gave all. To all who served and serving - We all hold varied beliefs and I fully respect all. I believe my Uncle John looks upon you with full respect and understanding of your service - he is with you in spirit. I am with you as I know many carry the weight of lost family, and military defined brothers and sisters.

**May all enjoy your cookouts, vacation trips to our National Parks, among other means to enjoy this holiday from work alone or with family - To humbly give a nod to those who gave all so you and your family may enjoy this holiday. Maybe, if to request, share with the young ones the meaning of this "Holiday", Lest we forget...

Background for this most humble of American Holidays -

Per a private investigator, hired by my grandparents, the general info: Uncle John's squad was ambushed by the North Vietnamese. The machine gunner was laying suppressing fire as they went for cover. He was hit. Uncle John took over as they retrieved the gunner. John was hit three times while continuing to hold back the enemy. His actions eventually caused the NVA to retreat and reduced the ambush to occasional small arms fire, on and off. His buddies extracted John however the LZ was too hot and the Hueys were unable to land. His teammates humped to a new LZ. Unfortunately, Uncle John passed along the way. He was posthumously awarded the Silver Star as his actions, described by his fellow brothers, saved their lives. His bronze Star was from a previous incident.

1685195775760.png

My Grandmother passed a chest she kept of my Uncle John's folded flag, mementos, medals, letters, etc to me in her will.
She is an extremely proud American who is photo present in WW II museums as one of the first of NAVY WAVES - as an aircraft Mechanic, where she met my Grandfather - a Navy man.
One such comment by her for WW II War Bonds, excitedly noted:
1685193853018.png

I share this portion to express her service to our country - while holding the pain of losing her son. She once shared with me, "It took me nine months to bring John into this world and the same for our country to take him out." (As best I recall). Is it a bitterness mixed with pride(?). The conundrum of lives lost by proud families defined by their country of allegiance as this setting spans beyond America.

This song reminds me of my Uncle John.

"I opened up the glove box and that's when I found the note
The date was 1966 and this is what he wrote:

He said, my name is Private Andrew Malone
And if you're reading this, then I didn't make it home
But for every dream that's shattered, another one comes true
This car was once a dream of mine, now it belongs to you
And though you may take her and make her your own
You'll always be riding with Private Malone"

1685197955290.png

I figure you're smiling and occasionally frowning on my life's journey. Thank you, your brothers, and sisters who gave all. May you all rest in peace.

Last edited:
Tomorrow in DC "Ride To Remember" no longer Rolling Thunder, the renaming is very fitting. Walking the Mall and listening to the talks at the memorials, visiting the "Wall" where the Spirit of Patiotisum is so thick your eyes become clouded with tears.
You'll never forget the experienced this weekend has to offer in DC, the candle light visuals and open heart conversations the Thunder of the Bikes Rolling down Consitution Ave. Not just for Veterans but for all to remember thoses who gave all.
Thanks for sharing Sytes.

Last edited:
So, in my senior year of high school, an absolute stud safety came to our football practice from our previous year. 137# pounds of helmet-in-your-back. Totally annihilated receivers. Eventually we were defeated in semis by folks with more talent as our QB couldn't complete a pass with a gun to his head.

He wanted to give his support for our new year. We asked him about the Marine Corps training, as our coaches were pretty intense. He said the whole boot camp wasn't as hard as two-a-days in August.

He was a real gentleman, soft-spoken, studious, fierce on the field.

A few months later he was KIA Vietnam. We all went to his funeral and sat en bloc.

Here's to you Jerry Wayne Stanberry. I don't drink much anymore but lifting one to you.

Too many lost in useless wars. And we're about to start again.

Last edited:
visiting the "Wall" where the Spirit of Patiotisum is so thick your eyes become clouded with tears.
Never have been to DC to see it, but wish to go some day. I have learned a lot about “The Wall” and the story of the winning design by Maya Lin is, in my opinion, a truly great American story.
My wife and I are hoping to seal the deal on a new home for us next week, and one of the most exciting parts for me is that it comes with a giant flag pole where I can display Old Glory.
Proudly accepted a poppy for a local VFW member today walking into the store. Always a bitter sweet moment.
Thanks to all who made the ultimate sacrifice.

We were stationed in Italy together. Ed was my son's soccer coach, we went to mass together, his daughter Elle was in my boy's class, and I watched her sing a song to him in a little pre deployment program the kids did. When I got news of the crash that took him I knew I had work to do. I had to tell my boy that coach Ed was gone and I had to plan and execute Ed's memorial service.....all while planning and executing memorials for the others lost as well. Memorials were a part of my job in the Army and I did somewhere north of 100 of them but Ed's was the only one that I wore my class A's to (usually the official party was in A's and I was in duty uniform running the show). Part of my duty was to open the door to the sacristy when the family entered to take their place. As I did Elle looked up at me with pain and desperation I will never forget. I got them seated, ensured the service started on time, closed the door behind me and bawled. All memorials were hard, this was the hardest.

Hey Pop,
It's going to be different from here on out on Memorial Day, 4th of July, Veteran's Day, and everyday you instilled in our family the importance of the Flag and the importance of remembering all of those lost to early.

I took a look on this forum and I can see that there's some mighty fine soldiers with you now. You always said Heaven was perfect and the only way for a place to be perfect is to have dogs. I'm gonna add to that and say there needs to be some good sipping whiskey too. Buy your new found friends a shot Pop. I'm gonna have one for ya'll too.

Catch ya later Pop.

to many to list,,, but I think of them all
Yes, too many during Vietnam then over the years since. So many honorable warriors and genuinely wonderful human beings whom are missed continuously ... but so strongly and emotionally during this time. May they all rest in peace. May they be honored and forever be remembered.

Last edited:
to many to list,,, but I think of them all
My father was a Marine during the Tet Offensive. The short time I knew him, he shared the same as you.
One aspect he shared - as brother in law to John and "brothers" in military who passed, Memorial Day challenges all members, family, and friends of lost loved ones. Internal pain though find the light they brought. Cherish the good and join friends and family to honor their ultimate sacrifice. The why is simple... Lest our future forgets the sacrifice of our past.

Samuel S Roberts, 40th Iowa Infantry Regiment - Wounded April 3rd. Died April 27, 1864. Died as a POW of under the care of the Confederates after the battle of Pea Ridge, AR( aka Battle of Elkhorn Tavern). Elkin's Ferry, AR (correction from MRS45....) Wounded in the battle and left behind with other wounded when the Union General Frederick Steele retreated from Camden, AR. - My wife's great great grandfather.
Capt Luke C Wullenwaber, KIA Nov 16, 2005 - The son of family friends in Lewiston, ID
Elmer M Dunham, KIA December 7, 1941 - My mother's first cousin. (USS Arizona)
Roland S Dunham, KIA May 7, 1942 - My mother's cousin and brother of Elmer Dunham. (USS Sims)

Both the Dunham brothers are entombed in their ships.

IMG_0432.JPG

Last edited:
I was very fortunate in that my deployment to Afghanistan was really dull. Only a few firefights, and we didn’t lose anyone.
In the 11 years since then I’ve lost at least three of those battle buddies (that I know of) to suicide.

On this Memorial Day, I remember them, and I urge everyone to seek help if you’re struggling, and if you’re in a dark place, please give your guns to someone you trust for safekeeping.
It takes a lot of courage to do either/both of those things, but you, and those who care about you, will be glad you did.

I don't know if EOD Ray is around anymore, but he told me about Chauncy. I have marked down on my calendar so that I can pay my respects to him and never forget the sacrifice.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Avidsomething
Back