Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

One way to stop a corner cross

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thats just it, is its just tough to determine unless theres a brass cap there with the acutal numbers on it. Those trees could also be reference montuments or in the FS reference trees to the actual corner. So unless you have the plat and well something better than OnX for you to determine the exact location of the intersection, its going to be diffucult to find the exact corner and stay legal. The stone will always hold senoity to the cap. So if theres a stone and a cap the cap is only representing the surveyor found the monument(stone) and recorded it. So then those would need to determine the center of the stone which often times irregular shaped so there is another obstacle to determine to stay legal.
I don't cross here in Montana. I hunt around some landlocked public, and do pretty well. Besides, if I can cross, so can everyone else. mtmuley

So, if I stand on the edge of public land, stretch out my arm, wave it around above the private land, I'm trespassing? I suppose I'm willing to be that criminal that will step over the corner pin, not setting foot on the private ground, and do my hunting.

If I were a real jackass of a property owner, I'd only need about 20' of fence and six posts, and just fence an 'x' at the corner. This comes down to a simple GMAB, but both hunters and landowners have been and will continue to be jerks on this count. Sometimes just pure greed, but other landowners have had their property trashed by jerks calling themselves hunters, and one can understand their POV. But the lands are public, and landowners should not be allowed to lock up public lands by preventing corner crossing.

Probably didn't add anything, but there it is....
If I stand with a chain saw on my land and see you waving your hand across a fence line on my side of the fence and I saw your hand off you would know you were trespassing pretty quickly. The courts have made numerous rulings regarding trying to impede a landowner of their full use of their land. You can’t put a billboard sign up and let it hang out over into my land. I probably actually wouldn’t saw off your arm the first time but the 2nd time you come back waving your arm on my side you might want to wear a large metal pipe over that arm if you value it. LOL.

Soon the DIY Magazines will have a new comparison review... This year's "must-have" for every checkerboard hunter's pack!
The brass corner pins are your friend and great Evidence to prove you crossed a corner. If you saw it off or destroy it you are not only breaking the law but potentially destroying any evidence you would have of crossing at a corner. Some corner hoppers take a video and record their track and keep it for evidence they properly crossed the corner marker. I’m not saying that is a valid legal crossing but it’s the only Evidence you have and you best not destroy or vandalize it or you might get charged with both trespassing and vandalism. I get it, you’re just joking but it is an important consideration.

The brass corner pins are your friend and great Evidence to prove you crossed a corner. If you saw it off or destroy it you are not only breaking the law but potentially destroying any evidence you would have of crossing at a corner. Some corner hoppers take a video and record their track and keep it for evidence they properly crossed the corner marker. I’m not saying that is a valid legal crossing but it’s the only Evidence you have and you best not destroy or vandalize it or you might get charged with both trespassing and vandalism. I get it, you’re just joking but it is an important consideration.
My TIC reply included a quote of #150 with the T posts pounded 2" on each side of the pin. The angle grinder is for the T posts, not the pin.

The Elk Mountain Ranch pic you posted is infuriating to me. If I ever win the lottery, I'll happily use my money and time to play guinea pig fighting that type of stuff.

Until then, we need somebody with nothing to lose and a GoFundMe account to get these rules figured out once and for all.

Last edited:
If I stand with a chain saw on my land and see you waving your hand across a fence line on my side of the fence and I saw your hand off you would know you were trespassing pretty quickly. The courts have made numerous rulings regarding trying to impede a landowner of their full use of their land. You can’t put a billboard sign up and let it hang out over into my land. I probably actually wouldn’t saw off your arm the first time but the 2nd time you come back waving your arm on my side you might want to wear a large metal pipe over that arm if you value it. LOL.
If I am walking on the public side of a private/public boundary and I see that a couple of your fence posts are leaning into the public land, can I cut them off? Or would you be upset about property damage?

There are a lot of great landowners in WY, but there are also those driven by greed: evidenced by the ass hat elk mountain rancher. Keep corner crossing folks. We have to stand up and continue to LEGALLY access our public lands. I know I will. By the way I have never had a landowner give me any grief for corner crossing. It seems that half of them have the common sense to realize its legality.

If I am walking on the public side of a private/public boundary and I see that a couple of your fence posts are leaning into the public land, can I cut them off? Or would you be upset about property damage?
Don’t get my post wrong, I fully support landowner rights. In this case in your example, public landowner rights. In your example if those fence posts are placed illegally on public land they are trespassing. Better to just call the BLM and report an illegal fence or call the landowner directly and ask t have it changed properly.

In your example if those fence posts are placed illegally on public land they are trespassing. Better to just call the BLM and report an illegal fence or call the landowner directly and ask t have it changed properly.

Human arm temporarily in air space gets sawed off but a permanently placed fence post, better make sure we talk this one through and let someone else deal with it.. Hate to cause the anguish that comes with a removed fence post.

there was a dispute going on the radio here that the DA of Park County doesn’t prosecute against corner jumping because he doesn’t believe the airspace jive.. come across the hill to gallatin county and you gotta tread lightly.. a decades-old easement could be fenced off tomorrow… watching fence lines change is harder than watching your favorite fishing hole wash away from this years erosion… you know a new eddy, a new hole will form down the way, and this brings peace. Knowing that fence line is only getting longer, may bring animosity. I leave it to a good mans discression, to disobey a perceived “bad law”

Also, maybe this should be in the “useless traits” thread; manners DO help, but not like they used to. Sometimes I feel like I’m the only one that had parents. SW MT has got some snobs… don’t forget your manners ladies and gentlemen….

Human arm temporarily in air space gets sawed off but a permanently placed fence post, better make sure we talk this one through and let someone else deal with it.. Hate to cause the anguish that comes with a removed fence post.
Pretty much what I thought. If I step over a corner pin and my shadow crosses private land, and the landowner considers that trespassing, I'll gladly let him do his worst. Saw an arm off for waving it over a fence? I guess I'll just not wave my gun hand, just sayin'.

The landowner OF COURSE has rights. But this corner stuff is plain goofy.

Arm??? I was kinda hoping someone like you would stick their neck out. LMFAO.

This is the Criminal side of the law. As Randy Newberg points out there are two types of Law, criminal and Civil. The County may not go after you, some will some won’t but it is likely a Civil Trespass as Randy points out in the podcast above. Would you want Phillip Anschutz and his stable of lawyers coming after you for a Civil Lawsuit?
Honestly, what would they sue for in civil court? No damages done, no loss in revenue, no way to prove you had any affect on them at all. I don’t see a civil court finding that you owe them anything besides an apology.

Honestly, what would they sue for in civil court? No damages done, no loss in revenue, no way to prove you had any affect on them at all. I don’t see a civil court finding that you owe them anything besides an apology.
Ask Randy Newberg’s attorney as Randy discusses it at length in the podcast I posted above. Would you really want a stable of attorneys gunning for you from Phillip Anschutz or Ted Turner? They could care less about money, it is all about power and control and manipulating you into staying out. Just a few off the top of my head would be:
  • Loss of market value;
  • Discomfort and annoyance;
  • Emotional distress;
  • Loss of use of the property;
  • Physical injury to the individual who tripped in your number 12 boot prints and damage to the land.
You probably wouldn’t damage the land in the slightest but the politically elected Judge may tend to agree with the plaintiffs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back