Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

One Rifle ,One Bullet

Rooster52

I have several rifles ,but this rifle shines above the rest for me . Browning A-Bolt II left hand in 270WSM .Loaded with 140 grain accubonds over 61.5 grains of RL22 it shoots inch and under groups at 100 yards.Topped with a Leupold VX2 3-9x50 makes it an excellent hunting rifle.
This will accompany me to Wyoming next fall !!

With the SIMS LIMBSAVER recoil pad ,the recoil is very manageable.

Last edited:
My one rifle is also a 270 WSM. I have a Tikka, though, and shoot Barnes 130 ttsx exclusively. I topped it off with a Leupold VX3 2.5-8. It has performed flawlessly. It's nice to have a rifle that you are so comfortable with that you know without a doubt, when you pull the trigger, the animal is going to be dead.

My go to rifle is also chambered in 270 WSM. Its a Winchester extreme weather model 70, classic action, blued with fluted barrel. 140 gr Accubond, a little over 3000 FPS powered by RL 19 is accurate and deadly.

My current "one" although I don't feel the need to limit it, is a Sako A7 in 300 Win Mag. Leupold VXIII CDS scope 4.5 to 14 shooting barnes Vortex 180 grain TTSX. Sighted in at 200 yards, I feel very confident out to 600 yards (that's the limit of the range I shoot at, my limit on an animal by the way is 400 yards).

Kimber 8400, .270 WSM, Barnes 130 grain. Works well for the MT trifecta of antelope, mule deer and elk. Might have to find something heavier if I ever draw that bison tag.

Love of my life

Mine is a Tika T3 light in .270WSM topped with a Nikon 3x9x40. Barnes Vortex in 140 grain.

It is nice to see that the .270 WSM is gaining traction as an all around caliber. I personally have used it on Antelope, Mule Deer and Whitetail. The Barns bullets make one hell of an exit on whitetail too. Shot a deer at 50 yards just below the chin in the throat (didn't want to ruin any meat) and removed 3 vertebrae on the other side. No bullet fragments found and only limited bone fragmentation in the neck meat.

It will take a lot for me to pull the trigger on another rifle purchase.

Same old Smith and Wesson Model 1500 in .270 Win. Topped with a 2x7 Burris scope. Shoots several bullets inside of an inch at 100 yards. 90 grain Sierra HP's for coyotes and Prairie Dogs, to 140 grain Accubonds for Antelope, Mule Deer, Elk, and Bear. Moose were hunted with a 150 grain Partition. Have other rifles that I enjoy shooting but this thirty year old rifle is definitely my favorite.

If Mrs. Fin gave me the ultimatum that I had to rid my safe of my rifles and only let me keep one, it would require a few days of consideration. But, it would be my Howa Alpine Mountain Rifle. And as much as I love the 7mm-.08, it would come in a close second choice to the .308 Win.

For bullets, I would be shooting the Nosler 168 grain E-Tip. My .308 loves them and that bullet has impressed me in a big way.

It would be topped with the same scope it currently has - Leupold VX-6 2-12x42mm.

DSC00945.JPG

It would be topped with the same scope it currently has - Leupold VX-6 2-12x42mm.

Same here, every bit as functionally comparative as the Zeissworskis I own....actually more with CDS and firedot.

My one rifle is a Savage Bear Hunter in a 300 win mag. With the Brake on you can shoot it all day long. I have a NightForce NXS 3.5x15 on it. The exact round is yet to be determined. I have some more experimenting to do! I want to try out the Berger 215's, Accubonds and the new Hornady bullets coming out. So far with cheap Winchester Factory rounds its 3/4 moa so its a great start but wanting a better long range bullet design.

Heavier than my Kimber Montana in 7short, but shoots great. I got it two seasons ago.
I think two rifles in the same chambering, a heavy and a light, make a lot of sense. Nicely played.

I'd set myself up like that, but 'your' kids are expensive to raise... :eek: :D

My one and only rifle is a Remington 700 in 7mm Mag. I've been using the same rifle with the same Leoupold 2-7 Leoupold scope since 1980. Since 400 yards is a long shot for me, no custom handloads just plain old remington Core-Lokt ammo.150grain for deer and antelope and 175 grain for elk, never had a failure with them.

Back