Christensen Arms Mesa first blush evaluation

• Thread starter Deleted member 20812
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 20812

After owning this rifle for two weeks, figured it was worth a quick hitter from the cheap seats.

1. Balance is very good. Very.
2. Fit and finish is nice.
3. I like the cerakote.
4. Trigger is nice and crisp.
5. Bolt and action are very smooth.
6. Bolt feels very robust
7. Recoil is very manageable with the factory brake, I’ll be using a thread protector in the field for future hunts.
8. Accuracy is good with the bullet of choice.
9. The stock design is excellent, very trim.

I gave it a good cleaning last night. I absolutely beat the the shit out of it bear hunting, and it appeared no worse for wear. I have nothing negative to say about this rifle at all.

I’ll check zero on it this week. I’m curious how the Leupold fared through the pack out Tuesday night. I also need to put a light crimp on my hammer loads to see if that’ll tighten the groups up a bit.

Does it shoot to the same point without the brake? I was shooting a 223 this morning that shot 2 inches higher at 100 yds without the brake.

Does it shoot to the same point without the brake? I was shooting a 223 this morning that shot 2 inches higher at 100 yds without the brake.
Not sure. I’d be surprised if POI doesn’t shift a little.

The 223 I was shooting shot a couple of loads noticeably better without the brake. Maybe just tuning, but a guy would want to test both with and without if you were going to hunt without it. Just some thoughts as brakes are pretty new to me.
Yeah, I didn’t have time to confirm POI and accuracy without the brake for this trip. Barely had time to work up a load.

That’s interesting some shot better without. I would have expected the opposite.

Side note, has anybody played around with one of these in 270 wsm? I know there are better cartridge options out there but the local shop has had one for a while and I was debating on seeing how much negotiating I might could do on it…
I think if 6.8 Western takes off, all the better for a 270 WSM, even though they are virtually the same.

I think, personally, the WSM suffered from a lack of quality, heavy for caliber, bullet offerings. As well as an anemic twist rate.

I think if 6.8 Western takes off, all the better for a 270 WSM, even though they are virtually the same.

I think, personally, the WSM suffered from a lack of quality, heavy for caliber, bullet offerings. As well as an anemic twist rate.
I have very similar thoughts and with the premium options available for a regular 270 I haven’t ever seen enough advantage to make it worth spending more.
I was only considering this one because I can probably get a decent price. Maybe I’ll just let someone else bite the bullet on it!

I have very similar thoughts and with the premium options available for a regular 270 I haven’t ever seen enough advantage to make it worth spending more.
I was only considering this one because I can probably get a decent price. Maybe I’ll just let someone else bite the bullet on it!
I think if a guy was going to go the opposite direction, with say a 117 gr Hammer Hunter, you probably could push that pill wicked fast, and get some good results. Might make for a hell of a shooter.

Side note, has anybody played around with one of these in 270 wsm? I know there are better cartridge options out there but the local shop has had one for a while and I was debating on seeing how much negotiating I might could do on it…
I'm mostly a 30cal guy, with 300wsm being my favorite, and I'd gladly jump all over 270wsm. I had 2 Christensens in 300wm, and I was super pleased with them. So, if the price is right, I think it would be a great rifle.

The 223 I was shooting shot a couple of loads noticeably better without the brake. Maybe just tuning, but a guy would want to test both with and without if you were going to hunt without it. Just some thoughts as brakes are pretty new to me.
Not judging but why would you have 223 with a brake. My ears are already wrecked from when I was young. Guns with brakes are no good. I can type but I can’t hear.

Could cut it back to 20" and thread for a can. The cut/thread is cheap, the can not so much of course.

It is a nice rifle for sure. I've only had mine to the range and it is a shooter. I personally would like the stock to be slightly beefier in the wrist but I'm not complaining. Mine is 7mm Rem Mag and now I'd really love one in 7mm08 for a backpack rifle.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jahmes143
Back