MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

One Rifle ,One Bullet

I've been using my Rem.700 30-06 since 78'. 165's and it's tack driver. I'm good to 400,600 at the range.Longest kill shot needed,375 .

After having a streak of purchasing a few hunting rifles I decided to sell most of them and get one that does it all. Had a Savage .25-06, a Marlin .270 and a Weatherby .300WSM. I sold all of those and picked up a Weatherby Vanguard Series 2 stainless in 7mm Rem. Mag. Topped with a VX-2 3-9 x 40 and shooting 160 Barnes TTSX it is a pretty solid rig. I also have my Grandfathers Model 70 in .30-06 from 1942 but that doesn't see much field time.

I have several rifles I like to grab more than others, but if I had to pick one, it would bee my pre-64 model 70 featherweight in 30-06 topped with a VX-1 and loaded with 165 grain Hornady interbonds. I'm comfortable to 600 yards with it, and it will kill anything I need it to.

My go to rifle is my Browning White Gold Medallion RMEF edition, which I recently put a Bell and Carlson stock on. Shooting Nosler 300 win mag ammunition with 180 gr. Accubonds. The rifle really seems to like those bullets. Topped off with a Leopold VX-3 4.5-14x50 with CDS.

Attachments

• buck 1.jpg
    buck 1.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 1,927
Last edited:
My Remington 700 Mountaineers 30-06 first rifle given to me on my 16th birthday still my favorite. 180gr nossler. Vortex scope

Marlin 1895 Guide Gun GS outfitted with a Skinner peep sight and a Montana sling. Ammo for this 45-70 rifle is a 405 grain LFN bullet at a moderate 1600 fps.

Savage model 10 in 30-06 topped with a Vortex Viper HS 4x16x44 spitting out Federal Premium 180gr Trophy Bondeds....maybe a little strong for Pronghorns and smaller stuff but I like the "one answer" :) 1S1K

Crittergitter warned me that I wouldn't look at my other rifles once I got this one. He was right.!
7mm WSM schilen barrel,180 grain berger vld, 2810 fps. 1/4" at 100
7wsm.jpg

Last edited:
This one is my current favorite. Jon Beanland built 300 Win Mag shooting Berger 215gr hybrids.

I have 1 rifle...in my truck right now and so does my wife...the rest of my arsenal all has a purpose. When I was single I decided I needed a gun for each purpose and animal, so I have a bunch of rifles in different calibers for different reasons.

M70 fwt in 6.5x55. It likes 140 partitions over imr 4350. It might like something else, that's what I started with and it seems to work.

M70 fwt in 6.5x55. It likes 140 partitions over imr 4350. It might like something else, that's what I started with and it seems to work.

That's a darned good combo. The 6.5 Swede is IMO one of the most underappreciated cartridges there is in North America. It should be a top seller, yet remains relatively obscure.

I've done everything I can to find a better solution to problems I don't have than the swede. I don't know much that it doesn't do well. It's either that, or a m70 fwt in 7x57.

c3jesjUl.jpg

I kept trying to justify buying another rifle in a different caliber, but I've got my Remington 700 in .30-06 so dialed in at this point it'd be stupid to go down that road again. It's got a B&C Alaskan Ti composite stock, Timney trigger, and a Vortex Viper HS 2.5-10x on top, weighs 9lbs unloaded, and shooting 168gr HSM Trophy Gold on a good day I can do this at 100 yards:

9Ulop5D.jpg

I really want to hate the gun due to a lot of QC issues it had in its stock form, but after upgrading bits and pieces over the years it's pretty hard to argue with the results. It's got 4 antelope under its belt since I started hunting the west last year and hopefully will add an elk and/or mulie next year.

I just FINALLY weighted my R 700 and it's 10 lb's w/Hogue full-bed & Zeiss scope,22 1/2" barrel...........jeez,no wonder it gets heavy ,it is. Rock solid shooter,no recoil & the above target could be a copy of what this rifle does most all the time. I have had it since 78'.
With this in mind and rereading some recent and old posts.And about a lighter -06.
Thinking I should look for a 700 mtn ,Vanguard or used Weatherby,(I'm partial to them being from Central Coast CA) Howa or something.
Torn or just wanting more than one -06? Pipe dreaming...

If I had to pick one it would be my 7MM Rem Mag, 140Gr Nosler Partition topped with a Nikon scope. I also like my .270 Win cause it doesn't kick as much at the range.......and I like my old school Rem 700 30-06' even though I've read the trigger isn't safe....

Back