Caribou Gear Tarp

One Rifle ,One Bullet

If I had to pick one gun and load it would be my 300 RUM with 180 grain nosler accubonds with 95 grains of retumbo. It shoots 3200 fps at muzzle, has a nikon buckmasters 4.5-14-40 old school buckmasters. It is a remington model 700 bdl custom deluxe. Love the gun and load. Very accurate was shooting out to 900 yards practcing for my elk hunt next year. Won't shoot elk that far but man its fun to shoot steel at that range. The gun is like an extension of my body, absolutley love it.

Tough call. I had a m700 based 30/06 built this year. 25" Bart 2b barrel. A goodly amount of Rl 17 and a 165gr. A-bond is working well right now. I could settle on that from here on out. Although my 7 Remmy mag BDL loaded with 150 gr. ballistic tips just plain gets the job done as well. It would be hard to make that final decision.

The rifle I use the most isn't the one I like the best. My favorite is my Ruger M77 Hawkeye all weather, stainless steel, 358 Win with 225 grain Nosler Partition over a stout load of Ramshot TAC. This is probably the easiest caliber I have ever reloaded. I found the most accurate load with acceptable velocity on my second try. It is a "tac" driver. Scope is a Leupold VX2 2-7x33. This combination works for the large game that I hunt…hogs, deer, and elk.

This is my new all purpose rifle, Legendary Arms Works Professional in 300win mag. Still in the bullet testing phase but it's liked everything I've shot through it so far.

I actually do have just one rifle I use for everything right now. Kimber Montana 84M chambered in 338 Fed with a Leupold VX-2 3-9x42 w/CDS. I'm not so good about picking one bullet/load. The 160 TTSX at ~3060 has worked incredibly well on everything from Impala to Gemsbok, Kudu and Elk. The 185 TTSX has been very good as well on a couple elk, deer and a hog.

2013_Elk_5v1.jpg

IMG_00021.jpg

P1000419.JPG

Last edited:
That's a great looking rifle PRM. I probably shouldn't complain about recoil in my 7=8 lb 30-06 after seeing that!

Yeah,I'm gonna weigh mine on an accurate scale too.
That is a fine rifle PRM.
Bet it feels after a few tho @ 5lbs?

Remington 700 XCR II in 300 RUM topped with a Nightforce NXS 3.5-15x50 F1 (first focal plane in mil/mil reticle). Amo is Norma 180r Oryx. I can bang the pie pan from 800yards with this factory gun and amo.

This is a little heavy, so I do plan to rebarrel with a fluted and ported barrel to lighten and reduce muzzle jump.

rem 700 in 7mm rem mag, 160 accubond at 3112 fps, leupold 4.5x14 cds, pretty easy .5 moa gun, 1st cold bore shot is always in the same group, 8.2 lbs loaded and ready to go, many animals have been harvested, almost all with one shot,
longest coyote shot 916 yards, closet shot less than 40 yards on a mule deer,
I have my own lathe, bounced all thru the calibers over the years, always end up with a lighter weight 7mag, have sold all my rifles but this one and a custom mauser in 7x57

Right now my go to Rifle is a T/C Icon in .308 with Ultra wood laminate stock . Beautiful gun and very accurate. It's just too heavy. Its also blued and I'd like an all-weather gun. I've narrowed it down to the Kimber Montana and the Howa Alpine Mountain Rifle (sure wish I could get my hands on one before I buy but I cant find one in any gun shops). The one thing that has me concerned is the Cerakote finish on the Howa. I know Cerakote is nice, but for a rifle I plan on owning for a lifetime, will it hold up? Was Hoping Randy could weigh in on this since he has used it extensively.

I would have started a new thread for this question. I don know that I can do that because I cant find the new thread button. I'm either blind or I don't have the right permissions

saw this in the FAQs
To start a new thread simply click on the 'new thread' button Post New Thread (you may need the right permissions to do this).

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dalton14rocks
Back