Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Non resident Landowner incentive.

I agree. It’s about opportunity cost for me. It’s 2500 less tags to nonresidents that likely only had access to public land which I know is a drop in the bucket in the grand scheme of things and won’t be overall noticeable. However sometimes all you need is one un-impacted hunt. To me its a little like the boy pulling ants out of the swollen creek after their ant pile washes away in a big rain. The father says “what are you doing? You’re wasting your time. What you’re doing doesn’t matter.” The boy says “well it mattered to this ant.” As he releases it on to dry ground. We need to start somewhere. Maybe this is a start.
The answer is dealing with season structures...not playing tag distribution games.

Speaking of ants...this tag incentive program is worrying about the ants while the elephants stomp you into taco filling.

I do, however, agree with you if this is the place it starts, I'm hopeful something more impactful will be next.

My 2 cents is that it wasn't worth all the attention that it drew.
And you are not alone, @Big Fin saw it the same way. Others like @Andrew Posewitz are unwilling to sacrifice the public trust for so little in return. I respect all these views. But I don't think you can dispute that it did in fact draw significant attention, largely based upon the values each of us holds. Not everyone sees it as just a small thing.

If we want to talk about ants and other small things: avalanches start with snowflakes. The door has been opened with this one, for better or worse. And as I indicated to @Gerald Martin much earlier in this thread: I truly hope I am wrong, and you @bigsky2 have every right to rub it in my face if you are all right.

It’s 2500 less tags to nonresidents that likely only had access to public land which I know is a drop in the bucket…
In my wildest dreams I can’t see this legislation pulling anywhere close to 2550 (15% of the 17k) tags from the NR pool, ever. The real number will be an actual drop in the bucket.

I’m a bit surprised at the lack of a reaction to SB533 which has unanimous support in the Senate and is moving along quite quickly. It will be interesting to see if that passes how it will be implemented. Maybe it will be the start of a season structure change we certainly need.

Last edited:
The answer is dealing with season structures...not playing tag distribution games.

Speaking of ants...this tag incentive program is worrying about the ants while the elephants stomp you into taco filling.
This. This. This.

Band aid, arterial bleed. God bless and good luck…

Not true, it drew attention because its giving away a public trust asset.
The public trust asset isn’t worth much with our current wildlife management. Nonresident tags need to be cut, this is at least a step towards that direction. I agree it’s not going to be a notable change.

In my wildest dreams I can’t see this legislation pulling anywhere close to 2550 (15% of the 17k) tags from the NR pool, ever. The real number will be an actual drop in the bucket.

I’m a bit surprised at the lack of a reaction to SB533 which has unanimous support in the Senate and is moving along quite quickly. It will be interesting to see if that passes how it will be implemented. Maybe it will be the start of a season structure change we certainly need.
Is SB533 the 14 day cap on hunting for nonresidents?

Yep. For deer, antelope, and elk.
Would this concentrate the crowding to the last two weeks of September for bowhunters, the first two weeks of rifle season for antelope hunters and generalists, and the last two weeks of general rifle season for mule deer hunters? I know NRs wouldn't have to do the 14 days contiguous, but it seems like this could significantly increase pressure during specific times.

Would this concentrate the crowding to the last two weeks of September for bowhunters, the first two weeks of rifle season for antelope hunters and generalists, and the last two weeks of general rifle season for mule deer hunters? I know NRs wouldn't have to do the 14 days contiguous, but it seems like this could significantly increase pressure during specific times.
About 10 years back or so in the units I hunted I noticed nonresidents not leaving but staying and hunting most of the season. I don’t think it will concentrate anything any worse than it always did. Peak rut already sucks pretty bad from a hunter concentration standpoint

All ready working that way.

I see @rogerthat is faster on the draw

I would imagine it would depend on how it is implemented. The bill doesn’t specify and leaves it up to FWP to decide from what I gather.
Would there be separate 2 week blocks you have to pick from, pick your own, honor system?

Reactions: DFS
All ready working that way.

I see @rogerthat is faster on the draw
14-day maximum is the stupidest idea. FWP can barely run a draw, much less keep track of what days NR hunters are in the state hunting. Also, you have a deer/elk combo. So a NR has to split the days between the two? Those are separate tags? What a shitshow. Why don't they just split the season into 14 day segments and divide the NR tags accordingly. Give it a try and see how it works.

14-day maximum is the stupidest idea. FWP can barely run a draw, much less keep track of what days NR hunters are in the state hunting. Also, you have a deer/elk combo. So a NR has to split the days between the two? Those are separate tags? What a shitshow. Why don't they just split the season into 14 day segments and divide the NR tags accordingly. Give it a try and see how it works.
It should be fun to watch how it pans out.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nomps
Back