Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

New gun on the horizon

wtrfwlhunter

Lining up a new rifle for next season..I think I’ve got it narrowed down to a 28 Nosler or 300 RUM.

Looking for opinions here good bad or
anywhere in between as I’m not too much of a gun geek myself. What I want out of this next gun is something I can confidently shoot in cross-canyon situations say 600 yards for
Both mule deer and elk. Also of note, I don’t reload.

Both the 28 Noz and 300 Rum are potent.

But since you don't reload, I would take a hard look at the more common and less expensive cartridges. 7 Rem Mag, 300 Win Mag, 30-06, and 270 Win are all capable cartridges.

Cheaper ammo = more practice = competent rifleman.

Find the load the rifle likes and buy a case or two of ammo and proceed to practice from field positions and fill freezers.

I shoot a 300 RUM for everything from whitetails to AK moose and everything in between. Love it. I don't reload either and have had no more trouble than what everyone is currently experiencing finding ammo.

If you already have experience with 30+lb recoil or are willing to run with a muzzle break then 28N or 300RUM are good options. If not I would scale back to something like 7mmRemMag or 280AI.

With a couple exceptions, most advice you will get here on those two cartridges will be to get something else Recoil, muzzle blast, cost, blah blah blah. If you want one, get one. PM me for any RUM questions. Been shooting them since 2000. mtmuley

With a couple exceptions, most advice you will get here on those two cartridges will be to get something else Recoil, muzzle blast, cost, blah blah blah. If you want one, get one. PM me for any RUM questions. Been shooting them since 2000. mtmuley
Every chambering has pros and cons. Good for buyers to know both lists. You like your RUMs, I am excited about my new 7x57AI - there are pros and cons to each - nothing wrong with sharing those with folks. For a non-handloader AIs are lousy choices. For those not comfortable with high recoil rifles UMs are lousy choices. Doesn't make AIs or UMs bad for everybody, but they certainly serve a smaller subset of hunters. And none of us "need" AIs or UMs, they are unnecessary but fun toys, but there are more straightforward utilitarian options than both for the average hunter asking questions on HT.

Blah blah blah, Get something that makes you happy. That said, a .300 win mag will slam any elk at 600 yards and be easier on your ears, shoulder and wallet, not to mention a bigger selection of potential rifles. Blah blah blah.
The problem with a 300 win mag at 600 yards is the trajectory is dropping off precipitously. At a known 600 yards that's not as big of a problem but you better have that range down to the nuts.

@mtmuley will tell you a 300RUM as he did. Great round. BUT I have both the .28 Nosler and .30 Nosler. Very different just like the .28 Nosler and 300 RUM are different.

I think the .28 may be the best all around cartridge you can get for big game. I have a 300Wm, and all the others but IMO the .28 is the best. Its why many manufactures both gun and ammo are making them. If you just after big bulls or larger then the the .30 Nosler or RUM is the answer.

You gonna hear 100 different answers here. Clearly mine is the best.

The answer is yes, you NEEEED a rifle chambered in everything that’s been suggested. The answer is always yes, get another rifle.

Big difference between need and want. If you want a .300 RUM get one. If you want a .28 Nosler, get one. Like @Dougfirtree said, get what makes you happy. Either will put a smile on your face.

I didn’t need a .300 PRC, but I got one this winter. It’s got me all giggly and smiley about shooting it and having a new load to develop. Shooting stuff is fun, be it elk or steel plates. Enjoy it!

See what I said. I told you he would say that. But or course he is correct. He could be more correct but close enough. Get what you want. I would have gotten a 300RUM but the shiny sexy ass fat bottom got me on the Nosler's. Short and sexy.

Both the 28 Noz and 300 Rum are potent.

But since you don't reload, I would take a hard look at the more common and less expensive cartridges. 7 Rem Mag, 300 Win Mag, 30-06, and 270 Win are all capable cartridges.

Cheaper ammo = more practice = competent rifleman.

Find the load the rifle likes and buy a case or two of ammo and proceed to practice from field positions and fill freezers.
Been shooting a .270 for over ten years. Yes, it has filled the freezer and been an awesome gun. Looking to have a long shooter now.

Last edited:
For those that shoot a .28 Nosler, I have been warned that certain Rifle brands are struggling to produce accurate .28 Noslers or that they are very picky and depending on the make don’t always shoot factory ammo well. Is there any truth to this?

My buddy got a fierce .28 Nosler last fall and the thing has been a tack driver with both of the two loads he’s made up for it. Particularly, I’m looking at a christen arms .28 or RUM. If I decide on the RUM I’m also considering a weatherby Mark V.

Also thinking about getting a suppressor for this gun, anybody have any experience with one on either of these calibers?

Last edited:
I dont even like shooting a 7 rem mag , I cant imagine 300 ultra mag. Funny all my friends and I bought 500 yard magnum guns thinking we were Chris Kyle before going antelope/muley hunting. Should of seen the humbling look on our faces after we shot groups at 300 yards on paper the first year... These are coming from Iowa farm kids who've shot coyotes and deer their whole lives too . No strangers to firearms.

My lightweight Christensen Arms 300 RUM with a muzzle brake has very tame recoil. Don't be within 50 yards of it without ear pro though. I'm going to put my suppressor on it sometime this summer for science and see what it's like

For those that shoot a .28 Nosler, I have been warned that certain Rifle brands are struggling to produce accurate .28 Noslers or that they are very picky and depending on the make don’t always shoot factory ammo well. Is there any truth to this?

My buddy got a fierce .28 Nosler last fall and the thing has been a tack driver with both of the two loads he’s made up for it. Particularly, I’m looking at a christen arms .28 or RUM. If I decide on the RUM I’m also considering a weatherby Mark V.

Also thinking about getting a silencer for this gun, anybody have any experience with one on either of these calibers?
I have a Browning A bolt pro. I have only shot 160Gr Accubonds through it. It shoots 3/4 groups all day until tis gets hot then till float a little bit to about 1"-1.25" But that's after 5-6 straight shots. Something you wont do hunting. .28 is not a range gun. Its a long range stealth bomber. Actually they are inherently accurate. I have several friends with one and they are all shooters.

My .30 Nosler is a Nosler Model .48 custom and it shoots 1/4" groups with custom ammo. 1/2" groups with factory Accubonds.

Dont ever say silencer again. Suppressor if you must have one. .28 /RUM and alike need longer barrels. You don't want to hunt with a Suppressor on it.

I have a Browning A bolt pro. I have only shot 160Gr Accubonds through it. It shoots 3/4 groups all day until tis gets hot then till float a little bit to about 1"-1.25" But that's after 5-6 straight shots. Something you wont do hunting. .28 is not a range gun. Its a long range stealth bomber. Actually they are inherently accurate. I have several friends with one and they are all shooters.

My .30 Nosler is a Nosler Model .48 custom and it shoots 1/4" groups with custom ammo. 1/2" groups with factory Accubonds.

Dont ever say silencer again. Suppressor if you must have one. .28 /RUM and alike need longer barrels. You don't want to hunt with a Suppressor on it.
Haha! I knew I was going to catch sh*t for that. Tied to edit as quick as possible.

Thanks for the advice.

If I've learned anything on the internet for recommendations is...when you ask where is the best steak the answer is you actually want the pork chops

That being said look at ammo availability and cost. Being proficient to 600 yards isn't hard but it takes practice. Being a non-reloader you're going to have to hope factory ammo is consistent and available which it often is not. That may mean buying 5+ boxes of ammo from the same lot to get information to accurately calculate drop and windage and have enough ammo to practice with and to hunt with.

I can't get excited about paying $4.50-6/round for 28 Nosler or 300RUM ammo when you can get 7mmRemMag or 300WinMag for 1/3-1/2 the price and still have plenty of oomph to shoot an elk. I see Norma has bonded core and non-lead ammo available for $2-3/round for 7 and 300 Mags.

Back