New gun for 2023 season.

HandgunHunter

After a career of building custom handguns for hunters and correcting the problems of all of those factory offerings….I wanted to reach for the very top….shelf.

I bought a Korth 44 Magnum. Yeah they are not cheap. But they are totally machined. From speaking with their reps I felt confident that I was buying something as near perfection as possible.

I spent hours/days adjusting and fixing factory guns for years in the shop. From minor to major adjustments to problems that just couldn’t be fixed and giving the customer that bad phone call.

I was looking for one I didn’t have to work on….I’m retired now and I hope to work in that shop as close to zero as possible.

There was one small problem tho…. Korth makes optics ready revolvers but they have chain saw like rails everywhere and it just seems out of place to me.

So I did have to find my way into the shop to make a optics mount for the Mongoose (Korth traditional looking model), drill and tap a really hard top strap on a really expensive wheelgun, and then Bed the mount into place for final check in the box that the optic will not move.

So I removed the rear sight from the Korth. I began measuring the inside of the rear sight cut….absolutely spot on square. Then I set the Korth up in the mill to use an indicator to make sure the bore was perfectly in line with the rear sight cut/pocket. I found every surface to be parallel with the bore which is pretty amazing when you think of how many machining operations this frame and other parts had to go through.

So I made my mount for the trijicon SRO to be tap in tight to the rear sight cut. I used the rear sight screw and added a 8x40 to give me two screws holding the base on plus bedded it with red lock tight.

Then a little aluminum blackening and I had a pretty sharp little rig.

I have only been out shooting this a couple times as the freeze thaw mud cycle has been pretty crappy in my corner of Wyoming. But so far I am quite happy.

The only down side is that the grips are super slick. They are about as pretty as they can get but sanded so smooth that they slide through the hands with recoil…Hogue custom shop should have that taken care of by the end of the month.

Many of you spend about this much on a full custom rifle, being a dedicated handgun hunter…..I saw the worth.

50 yard prone group in the pics. Also a picture of it next to the N frame 44 I used for my bull and deer last year.

Really looking forward to getting into the field this year with this new set up.

Disclaimer…..I’m retired…..and do not do gunwork for the public anymore.
8228D814-F1FF-4D6F-89EC-BEB6B36BEB1C.jpegA3C9A7BD-D905-4C06-9EC6-071E42031205.jpegC82DEE2A-24A8-4352-BF0D-2D2599EF8B61.jpegC4518D51-4877-4930-9C77-8862343C9D01.jpeg2F7F8C9C-FF67-46E8-AF45-2F8E3CB3D958.jpeg

We had a Korth Mongoose in 357 in the shop. The first time I tried the double action trigger pull I was like "Aaahhh, now I get it!!" Congrats on a wonderful gun!!

Awesome shooting. That’s a very good looking revolver.

This makes me want to go out and shoot revolvers. But I know when I do, my targets won’t look like yours and I’ll remember how bad I suck with my .44.

This will be fun to follow along watching the progress you have with this!

This was another new gun for 2023…I might have got it right after 2022 season….

308 win Nosler NCH. 15” self timing brake by a company that I can’t remember the name of. Trijicon 3-9 with hunter hold over reticle.

Running a 130 ttsx barnes at 2980 fps.

I’m 90%+ all revolver hunting….but I generally pack a single shot for when I can’t get close enough. Wheelguns max out at 150-200 yards depending on environmental and target variables. I’m sure everyone who hunts the west knows getting within that range isn’t always possible. The bolt action single shots will do everything a rifle will….just a bit more challenging to get stable.

Attachments

• F3699DA1-726C-4EC6-A996-889E5A62572D.jpeg
    F3699DA1-726C-4EC6-A996-889E5A62572D.jpeg
    4.3 MB · Views: 21
  • 57C20144-AA39-470B-B3ED-F3C7514E8018.jpeg
    57C20144-AA39-470B-B3ED-F3C7514E8018.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 21
After a career of building custom handguns for hunters and correcting the problems of all of those factory offerings….I wanted to reach for the very top….shelf.

I bought a Korth 44 Magnum. Yeah they are not cheap. But they are totally machined. From speaking with their reps I felt confident that I was buying something as near perfection as possible.

I spent hours/days adjusting and fixing factory guns for years in the shop. From minor to major adjustments to problems that just couldn’t be fixed and giving the customer that bad phone call.

I was looking for one I didn’t have to work on….I’m retired now and I hope to work in that shop as close to zero as possible.

There was one small problem tho…. Korth makes optics ready revolvers but they have chain saw like rails everywhere and it just seems out of place to me.

So I did have to find my way into the shop to make a optics mount for the Mongoose (Korth traditional looking model), drill and tap a really hard top strap on a really expensive wheelgun, and then Bed the mount into place for final check in the box that the optic will not move.

So I removed the rear sight from the Korth. I began measuring the inside of the rear sight cut….absolutely spot on square. Then I set the Korth up in the mill to use an indicator to make sure the bore was perfectly in line with the rear sight cut/pocket. I found every surface to be parallel with the bore which is pretty amazing when you think of how many machining operations this frame and other parts had to go through.

So I made my mount for the trijicon SRO to be tap in tight to the rear sight cut. I used the rear sight screw and added a 8x40 to give me two screws holding the base on plus bedded it with red lock tight.

Then a little aluminum blackening and I had a pretty sharp little rig.

I have only been out shooting this a couple times as the freeze thaw mud cycle has been pretty crappy in my corner of Wyoming. But so far I am quite happy.

The only down side is that the grips are super slick. They are about as pretty as they can get but sanded so smooth that they slide through the hands with recoil…Hogue custom shop should have that taken care of by the end of the month.

Many of you spend about this much on a full custom rifle, being a dedicated handgun hunter…..I saw the worth.

50 yard prone group in the pics. Also a picture of it next to the N frame 44 I used for my bull and deer last year.

Really looking forward to getting into the field this year with this new set up.

Disclaimer…..I’m retired…..and do not do gunwork for the public anymore.
View attachment 267273View attachment 267274View attachment 267277View attachment 267278View attachment 267279
Are these offhand shots or from a rest/bench?

After a little wait the Hogue custom grips came in. Having grips that fit your hand is awesome.

Attachments

• 5910A678-6AF2-4CA3-87A6-CA282A749645.jpeg
    5910A678-6AF2-4CA3-87A6-CA282A749645.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 11
Back