Caribou Gear

New gun dilemma

Really would love to hear some suggestions as I feel like I’ve researched it great lengths and still feel torn.

Coming from a 300 win mag and the adding a suppressor has been a dream to shoot. However my barrel was a 26” barrel to begin with an adding the dead air nomad TI adds another 6.5”, bring it to 32”... Way too long and heavy.

Which led me to my quest in getting a new rifle. Truth be told, I love the 300 win mag. I have a lot of ammunition stored up for it and like the idea that I could shoot deer all the way up to bear.

With that being said, recognizing that I need a shorter barrel length, I started looking at the 7MMPRC.

The problem obviously is that ammunition is not widely available for this caliber yet.

Where I feel the 7MMPRC really shines over the 300 win mag is those long range shots. I consider myself an ethical hunter, and don’t feel comfortable in that spirit taking shots over 500 yards, despite the fact that I’m able to hit milk jugs at the 1000 yard mark in long range shooting. To me, that type of long range shooting on an animal it’s just not my cup of tea.

So the dilemma I have is do I go from the 300 win mag to the 7MMPRC? Newer caliber, non magnum and less recoil.

The second part of that dilemma is that I’m looking for a lightweight gun that has the ability for a 20 inch barrel, but don’t want the gun to be too lightweight that if I stay with a 300 win mag it kicks too much being a light gun.

I know companies like Gunwerks will do a 300 win mag in a 20 inch barrel, but I don’t know if that’s foolish to do or if I should just have them do the 7MMPRC?

Oh, by the way, before anyone starts jumping on me about purchasing a Gunwerks rifle I have a substantial discount through a connection. I’ve been looking at the Gunwerks Magnus T.I. in the 300 win mag or the Clymbr with ss action to purposely add weight back in.

However, if there are other rifles that fit those bill, I’m all about saving money! Not married to Gunwerks by any means.
First, I would look into reloading components and that would tell me to not look at the 7 PRC. Can't find brass for it.

If you are going with a shorter barrel, then I would probably go with a different caliber. The longer barrels allow for slow burning powders to burn better.

Rather than the 7 PRC a 7mm rem mag with the proper adjustments to the magazine and chamber with a high twist barrel would be a better option. Because you get the same thing and you can find brass.

You can even find brass for WSM's right now, so a 7 WSM or the 270 WSM (Now with a big bullets) could be a good option with a short barrel.

Your custom building rifles but still worried about available factory ammo??!!

Freak'n ludicrist to me!

Akin to building the next Edsel, or DeLorean.

Have seen threads on 2 separate forums of 7 PRC factory ammo being "hot".

Don’t be a 🐱, just say it!
I like that. So since you put it that way. Just my opinion about suppressors. Original OP has the perfect gun he is trying to find a solution for that isn't the problem. He says gun is too long, and looking for a shorter barrel, its not the gun........................

I know, everyone disagrees. But if I am wrong ( and here come the posts to tell me so), why don't we have suppressors for waterfowl? All day long from my house I hear the sweet sound of shotguns in the fields around us. Pheasant hunting suppressors? Why just pick on rifles.

I like that. So since you put it that way. Just my opinion about suppressors. Original OP has the perfect gun he is trying to find a solution for that isn't the problem. He says gun is too long, and looking for a shorter barrel, its not the gun........................

I know, everyone disagrees. But if I am wrong ( and here come the posts to tell me so), why don't we have suppressors for waterfowl? All day long from my house I hear the sweet sound of shotguns in the fields around us. Pheasant hunting suppressors? Why just pick on rifles.
It's because shotguns fire pellets and wads not solid bullets. Perhaps someone makes suppressors for slug barrels? I'm not sure anyone makes rifle suppressors larger than 30 caliber. I haven't seen one anyway.

Many trap shotguns have ported barrels to reduce recoil. It is helpful for O/Us used for double trap where quick follow up is very important. I choose to stay off the line when those guys are shooting. The blast from ported barrels is wicked.

It's because shotguns fire pellets and wads not solid bullets. Perhaps someone makes suppressors for slug barrels? I'm not sure anyone makes rifle suppressors larger than 30 caliber. I haven't seen one anyway.

Many trap shotguns have ported barrels to reduce recoil. It is helpful for O/Us used for double trap where quick follow up is very important. I choose to stay off the line when those guys are shooting. The blast from ported barrels is wicked.

Stick with a 300 win mag if you like it. Get a 9 twist and set the free bore for the bullet you want to shoot. That way you’re not using up case capacity that plagues that cartridge with longer bullets. 20” barrel, can, and have fun.

Freak'n ludicrist to me!

As long as it's not dangerous. Probably little chance it will be used in an older unsafe firearm. That's how it's better than most anything else. What's the likelihood that commercial ammo makers use temperature insensitive powders when loading ammo like this?

First, I would look into reloading components and that would tell me to not look at the 7 PRC. Can't find brass for it.

If you are going with a shorter barrel, then I would probably go with a different caliber. The longer barrels allow for slow burning powders to burn better.

Rather than the 7 PRC a 7mm rem mag with the proper adjustments to the magazine and chamber with a high twist barrel would be a better option. Because you get the same thing and you can find brass.

You can even find brass for WSM's right now, so a 7 WSM or the 270 WSM (Now with a big bullets) could be a good option with a short barrel.
Apparently when you purchase a gun through gun works, you can always get ammunition through them. I don’t know if they have a deal with Hornady or how they make it happen.

So that is my point that I’m struggling with. I really like the idea of going down to 7 mag, but if I’m gonna be spending as much on this rifle I would like to use something that’s going to future proof. Everyone keeps saying 7MMPRC is here to stay.

But then you go back to the whole 30 caliber issue. 30 Cal will drop everything in North America no problem. Heck, the 6.5 Creedmoor will too if proper shot placement happens, but I’m not into playing that game. When I pull the trigger I want the animal to drop and not run away and have to track blood while it suffers.

Freak'n ludicrist to me!

Nope. Enlighten me, what do you mean by “hot”? 🤷🏻‍♂️

I like the idea of staying in 30 Cal only because of the amount of ammo I have. I like the analogy with the DeLorean. Lol that’s part of the struggle too. That’s why I also like @BackofBeyond idea on 300 WSM

Once you try it, you’ll be converted.

1)I don’t need hearing protection anymore.

2) It significantly takes recoil off

3)I’m doing on average 6-9 miles a day in the back country, you start feeling the weight… Not to mention getting hung up in the vegetation.

My gun is heavier than what I like, but if I had the option to thread a fluted barrel, I’d probably go that route. I’ve been told you can’t if you want to have the proper threads for the suppressor.

If you are using a suppressor to reduce recoil, shouldn't you just shoot a gun you can handle? I get a suppressor if you want one for target shooting and competition. But for hunting where typically its one shot? My point is that its make a gun too long and adds weight for practical carry. Maybe its just because I am out west and we hunt in the mountains. You don't want any extra weight or length. I have taken several guys elk hunting from back east and ALL of them have removed the suppressor after day 1, or borrowed one of my guns.

Once you try it, you’ll be converted.

1)I don’t need hearing protection anymore.

2) It significantly takes recoil off

3)I’m doing on average 6-9 miles a day in the back country, you start feeling the weight… Not to mention getting hung up in the vegetation.

My gun is heavier than what I like, but if I had the option to thread a fluted barrel, I’d probably go that route. I’ve been told you can’t if you want to have the proper threads for the suppressor.
#3 is my point. If your using a brake causing noise issues, take the brake off. Its worse than a suppressor. If you need a brake for recoil reduction, again, you are shooting the wrong gun.

If you are using a suppressor to reduce recoil, shouldn't you just shoot a gun you can handle? I get a suppressor if you want one for target shooting and competition. But for hunting where typically its one shot? My point is that its make a gun too long and adds weight for practical carry. Maybe its just because I am out west and we hunt in the mountains. You don't want any extra weight or length. I have taken several guys elk hunting from back east and ALL of them have removed the suppressor after day 1, or borrowed one of my guns.
Oh I can handle the recoil, but that doesn’t mean that I enjoy it. 😎

#3 is my point. If your using a brake causing noise issues, take the brake off. Its worse than a suppressor. If you need a brake for recoil reduction, again, you are shooting the wrong gun.
Exactly why I’m talking about going down to the 7MMPRC. Very similar to the 300 win mag and 7 MM mag with less recoil. Again, no experience, just what I’ve read.

Back