Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

New gun dilemma

Apparently when you purchase a gun through gun works, you can always get ammunition through them. I don’t know if they have a deal with Hornady or how they make it happen.

So that is my point that I’m struggling with. I really like the idea of going down to 7 mag, but if I’m gonna be spending as much on this rifle I would like to use something that’s going to future proof. Everyone keeps saying 7MMPRC is here to stay.

But then you go back to the whole 30 caliber issue. 30 Cal will drop everything in North America no problem. Heck, the 6.5 Creedmoor will too if proper shot placement happens, but I’m not into playing that game. When I pull the trigger I want the animal to drop and not run away and have to track blood while it suffers.
30 cal will not drop most animals larger than a deer (usually not even a deer). You will be following a blood trail on most of them.

Hell I shoot most of my game with a 375H&H and I still have blood trails, albeit not long ones. And I take this rifle on my backcountry mountain hunts for moose, mt goat, elk, deer, bear, etc.

Future proof, short barrel, less recoil, 30 cal, 30.06.

Wear ear plugs to reduce noise and take a dump before you start hiking so you won’t be “lugging around that extra crap in the backcountry”.

Last edited:
It’s actually not a bench gun. Primarily hunting elk with it on backpack hunts. Sorry, should’ve added that! Another reason why I want to shave some of that weight off.
Believe it or not, something like my 6.5x55 will kill just as many back country elk as any 300 mag with the same number of shots or less and no need to hang anything on the end of the barrel. I shot a 300 mag one time, had a 7mm Rem Mag and 338 Win Mag; will never fire another mag anything for whatever years I have left! I wouldn't shoot a mag version of a 22 Hornet these days! Needing that superessor seem's to say you don't really care for the recoil but for some reason you believe it gives an advantage. My 30-06 would handle any 30 cal bullet more than well enough to kill an elk. matter of fact with 180gr bullet's it has downed three in three shots. My 6.5x06 with 140gr bullet's has also dropped three with three shots and I strongly suspect my 6.5x55 with 140gr bullet's would also. The only thing you give up going to a cartridge with less recoil is recoil!

17” 6.5 prc. Suppressed the barrel is only 24”. When my other suppressor shows this fall it will only be 22.5” total. After shooting with a suppressor I’ll never go back to without. I’ll pack the extra 1/2lb of weight. Have a 20” 6.5 Sherman max barrel showing up this month. Haven’t decided if I’ll leave this gun as prc and sell the max barrel or spin the max barrel on and sell the prc barrel
295196C2-AB0B-425F-92DD-8A3C0F5150F3.jpeg

But then you go back to the whole 30 caliber issue. 30 Cal will drop everything in North America no problem. Heck, the 6.5 Creedmoor will too if proper shot placement happens, but I’m not into playing that game. When I pull the trigger I want the animal to drop and not run away and have to track blood while it suffers.
Got to love it. "I want the animal to drop and not run away regardless of shot placement". Easy solution; 20 mm canon!

Once you try it, you’ll be converted.

1)I don’t need hearing protection anymore.

Once you try it, you’ll be converted.

1)I don’t need hearing protection anymore.
Yeaaahhhh....

No hearing protection needed with a supersonic load...

While it may be significantly quieter, you'll still want hearing protection.

I SAID PUT YOUR EAR PLUGS IN!!! :ROFLMAO:

17” 6.5 prc. Suppressed the barrel is only 24”. When my other suppressor shows this fall it will only be 22.5” total. After shooting with a suppressor I’ll never go back to without. I’ll pack the extra 1/2lb of weight. Have a 20” 6.5 Sherman max barrel showing up this month. Haven’t decided if I’ll leave this gun as prc and sell the max barrel or spin the max barrel on and sell the prc barrel
View attachment 264410
Love this. Guy's are running around trying to lighten their rifles by a few onces to be easier to carry and this guy add's 1/2 pound to the end of the barrel to quiet it down! :) Tell you what, I'm old and have been shooting for years and over time the noise seldom bother's me. Extra advantage is I have an excuse for ignoring the girl friend! :)

Love this. Guy's are running around trying to lighten their rifles by a few onces to be easier to carry and this guy add's 1/2 pound to the end of the barrel to quiet it down! :) Tell you what, I'm old and have been shooting for years and over time the noise seldom bother's me. Extra advantage is I have an excuse for ignoring the girl friend! :)
You sure you can hear the noise still? Lol. Just playing, friend. 😜

I’m only 33 with a constant ringing in my left earn. Already have to have my kids look at me when they talk so I can hear them. Trying to hold on to the hearing I have.

I’m only 33 with a constant ringing in my left earn. Already have to have my kids look at me when they talk so I can hear them. Trying to hold on to the hearing I have.
Racing dirt bikes without earplugs was probably one of the dumbest things that I did, let alone shooting without earplugs. Waaaaattt

Oh I can handle the recoil, but that doesn’t mean that I enjoy it. 😎
I think if some say they do they are lying. I have a .30 Nosler, .28 Nosler and 6.5-300 Weatherby. All of them on lightweight offerings. Any of them will rattle your teeth but I only shoot them when hunting and maybe a few rounds a year at range.

Cartridge longevity is moot for something like this because you'll work up a load, shoot it in and horde components to last the barrel. I'd lean hard away from anything supplied by Hornady if you want consistency over time. If however you can get Lapua brass for a cartridge of Hornady design that's another story.

As for cartridge for a rifle built to Gunwerks prices, ask the builder what they have seen first hand. "I want a rifle _____" long that will do _______. What have you done that accomplished that?" Trust the builder. It makes life easier.

Also forgot to add, shotgun silencers are a thing even for using shot. There are also extra long barrels for use with low report subsonic loads. All are more popular where silencers are sold off the shelf with no extra tax or wait.

“Handling” recoil is one thing, shooting as well with high recoil rifles is another. Nobody shoots high recoiling rifles as well as low recoiling rifles even if “they can handle it”.

The only thing that really sets gunwerks rifles apart IMO is the stocks. The rest of the industry has been sleeping on stock design that functionally helps shooting for years even though gunwerks has provided the blueprint: a grip that supports your trigger hand so it can easily make a straight back press without torquing the rifle, no drop heel so the recoil can go straight back rather than up, and a negative comb so the recoil isn’t pushing your face up. Simple yet nearly everyone else effs it up.

The rest of the mark up seems to come from their “system” that basically markets buying competency in lieu of actually learning why bullets hit where they do at distance so I’m not a fan of that. Honestly though their bare rifles aren’t priced much above what a lot of the reputable smiths are getting for full 700 clone builds.

Don’t get a titanium action unless you want to pay more for a functionally inferior option. Lose weight another way, there are plenty light steel actions out there.

A 7 saum, 280ai, or 300wsm all make sense for your stated desire IMO. 7 PRC is neat too. 7prc will be tough to find for a while but it ain’t going anywhere either.

Consider you may want to go even shorter than 20” if using a can all the time.

I like that. So since you put it that way. Just my opinion about suppressors. Original OP has the perfect gun he is trying to find a solution for that isn't the problem. He says gun is too long, and looking for a shorter barrel, its not the gun........................

I know, everyone disagrees. But if I am wrong ( and here come the posts to tell me so), why don't we have suppressors for waterfowl? All day long from my house I hear the sweet sound of shotguns in the fields around us. Pheasant hunting suppressors? Why just pick on rifles.
I have a can for my shotguns, works great.

@OntarioHunter, there are many large bore suppressors. Personally I have a .46 for a 45/70 plus a .338 thats in stamp jail right now, and there are numerous .50 cans for 50BMG out there on the market.

Last edited:
Sooooo.....
What was the original question????
Yeah, seem like this thread has gone off the rails like most when it comes to subjects like this.

@mxracer317, if you like your 300wm have a new barrel spun up in a shorter length. Most economical way to go and you're already familiar with the feel of the rifle and you already have the ammo for it. Or, if you want to shoot the big heavy bullets, spin on a 300prc if you don't reload. There is no difference between a 300prc and 300wm if you reload....just like the 7prc and 7rm (7rm has more case capacity btw).

If you really do want to go 7prc, then get a barrel chambered and put it on, that's easy as well. Although, ammo would be my bigger concern in the near future.

If you really want to get a new rifle go grab a 6.5prc and use that as a practice gun if the recoil of a 300 bothers you during practice sessions. Then, you have a good rifle for practice, deer/antelope/elk, and a backup for your 300wm. I'm not a 7mm fan personally, it's kind of the middle child. Does a bit more than the 6.5 but not as much as a 300wm/prc/nos. If you are recoil shy then why not look at the 6.5 family? Even less recoil than a 7mm but ballistically will do 95% and there is a great selection of bullets.

BTW, the statement you made in your first post regarding the 7prc being better at long range than a 300wm is simply false. Most people who make that statement compare a high bc bullet in the 7prc to a standard bullet in the 300wm. Compare apples to apples and the 300 is the winner, no question. Hornady marketing is famous but it is the shiny new object on the block so it is to be expected.

Back