Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

New gun dilemma

mxracer317

Really would love to hear some suggestions as I feel like I’ve researched it great lengths and still feel torn.

Coming from a 300 win mag and the adding a suppressor has been a dream to shoot. However my barrel was a 26” barrel to begin with an adding the dead air nomad TI adds another 6.5”, bring it to 32”... Way too long and heavy.

Which led me to my quest in getting a new rifle. Truth be told, I love the 300 win mag. I have a lot of ammunition stored up for it and like the idea that I could shoot deer all the way up to bear.

With that being said, recognizing that I need a shorter barrel length, I started looking at the 7MMPRC.

The problem obviously is that ammunition is not widely available for this caliber yet.

Where I feel the 7MMPRC really shines over the 300 win mag is those long range shots. I consider myself an ethical hunter, and don’t feel comfortable in that spirit taking shots over 500 yards, despite the fact that I’m able to hit milk jugs at the 1000 yard mark in long range shooting. To me, that type of long range shooting on an animal it’s just not my cup of tea.

So the dilemma I have is do I go from the 300 win mag to the 7MMPRC? Newer caliber, non magnum and less recoil.

The second part of that dilemma is that I’m looking for a lightweight gun that has the ability for a 20 inch barrel, but don’t want the gun to be too lightweight that if I stay with a 300 win mag it kicks too much being a light gun.

I know companies like Gunwerks will do a 300 win mag in a 20 inch barrel, but I don’t know if that’s foolish to do or if I should just have them do the 7MMPRC?

Oh, by the way, before anyone starts jumping on me about purchasing a Gunwerks rifle I have a substantial discount through a connection. I’ve been looking at the Gunwerks Magnus T.I. in the 300 win mag or the Clymbr with ss action to purposely add weight back in.

However, if there are other rifles that fit those bill, I’m all about saving money! Not married to Gunwerks by any means.

Last edited:
I consider myself an ethical hunter, and don’t feel comfortable in that spirit taking shots over 500 yards, despite the fact that I’m able to hit milk jugs at the 1000 yard mark in long range shooting. To me, that type of long range shooting on an animal it’s just not my cup of tea.
Thank you for clearly describing the difference between shooting and hunting. Closing the gap between hunter and game is the most exciting part.

Thank you for clearly describing the difference between shooting and hunting. Closing the gap between hunter and game is the most exciting part.
I agree. Punching steel at 1000 yards is totally different than trying to hit an animal. Too much can go wrong at that distance.

Even though Gunwerks claim to fame is sub MOA accuracy at 1000 yards, I have no intention of shooting that far when hunting. I only like how well quality their rifles are built.

First, I’m jealous of the Gunwerks connection. I made the mistake of handling a clymr and have wanted a rifle or to build something with one of the stocks.

Do you like the 300 win that you have? If you’re considering the Gunwerks any way why not spend a little bit and chop 4-6 inches off and thread it, with the suppressor you only end up a couple inches longer than you started. You will at least know if you like it.

There’s no doubt that in a long action magnum you are giving up some velocity and have a lot of powder to burn with a shorter barrel.

If we’re spending your money, hell yea go buy a 7 prc. It probably will be a while before ammo is readily available but Hornady and other manufacturers will support it based on the sister cartridges’ success. It’s already out there in limited quantities. You said it best tho, there’s only a real advantage as you stretch the range out.

First, I’m jealous of the Gunwerks connection. I made the mistake of handling a clymr and have wanted a rifle or to build something with one of the stocks.

Do you like the 300 win that you have? If you’re considering the Gunwerks any way why not spend a little bit and chop 4-6 inches off and thread it, with the suppressor you only end up a couple inches longer than you started. You will at least know if you like it.

There’s no doubt that in a long action magnum you are giving up some velocity and have a lot of powder to burn with a shorter barrel.

If we’re spending your money, hell yea go buy a 7 prc. It probably will be a while before ammo is readily available but Hornady and other manufacturers will support it based on the sister cartridges’ success. It’s already out there in limited quantities. You said it best tho, there’s only a real advantage as you stretch the range out.
I love the rifle I have right now but the barrel is fluted so I can’t chop and thread a fluted barrel to, my understanding?

And yeah, that geometry on the clymbR is incredible. I made the same mistake in picking one up too.

I love the rifle I have right now but the barrel is fluted so I can’t chop and thread a fluted barrel to, my understanding?

And yeah, that geometry on the clymbR is incredible. I made the same mistake in picking one up too.
I think it depends on the barrel contour and how deep the flutes are. I know someone who had one of the tikkas with flutes cut. The only issue he had was it was a pencil barrel and the smith could only do 1/2-28 threads so he used an adapter for the can.

Does Gunwerks offer a 6.8 Western?

I recognize that it might not be your 1,000 yard answer, but it would be effective on the game you mention out to 500 yards. Shorter barrel, lighter recoil, modern bullets/ballistics. You already hand load, too. Not mentioned, so just a thought.

You have your long range range gun. Who cares how long it is if it's just shooting off a bench.

What are you hunting? If you want to step down a bit for an easier to handle close to medium range gun, how about something in an "ordinary" caliber built from an extraordinary gun? I have been looking at building a 375 H&H on a Mauser action but appears to be a bit too complicated. However, just about anything up to 30-06 or 35 Welen is very doable on a Mauser action. Make something that you design instead of a bunch of machines in a factory.

You have your long range range gun. Who cares how long it is if it's just shooting off a bench.

What are you hunting? If you want to step down a bit for an easier to handle close to medium range gun, how about something in an "ordinary" caliber built from an extraordinary gun? I have been looking at building a 375 H&H on a Mauser action but appears to be a bit too complicated. However, just about anything up to 30-06 or 35 Welen is very doable on a Mauser action. Make something that you design instead of a bunch of machines in a factory.
It’s actually not a bench gun. Primarily hunting elk with it on backpack hunts. Sorry, should’ve added that! Another reason why I want to shave some of that weight off.

I think the Gunwerks rifle in 7PRC would be a great way to go. The suppressors do a great job even on big rifles. I love my 300RUM with a 5" Ultra TBRC, I don't remember the overall weight, but it's pretty light and recoil isn't bad at all. My favorite rifle was built by Short Action Precision in a 7SAUM, also suppressed and a bit heavier than my RUM due to the stock I wanted.

I'd either thread the fluted barrel (it shouldn't be a problem) and keep going with what you have, or maybe have a 20" carbon barrel put on the gun and keep it 300wm. I went through almost your exact scenario and decided to have a new gun built in 300wsm with a 22" CF barrel, it weighs under 8 pounds with glass, can, and a mag. The short magnums give you just a touch more effective barrel length vs overall length and seem to preform better on short barrels.

Man, the only problem with gunwerks is how expensive they are! Otherwise they're awesome rifles. Extremely well built guns.

I'd look 7PRC or 280 ai as well. I've been looking into something with a shorter barrel for a suppressor also. Thanks to @nhenry I'm reallllly starting to like that 280 he built...

I'd either thread the fluted barrel (it shouldn't be a problem) and keep going with what you have, or maybe have a 20" carbon barrel put on the gun and keep it 300wm. I went through almost your exact scenario and decided to have a new gun built in 300wsm with a 22" CF barrel, it weighs under 8 pounds with glass, can, and a mag. The short magnums give you just a touch more effective barrel length vs overall length and seem to preform better on short barrels.
What company is yours or was it custom?

If you like the 300wm just spin on a new barrel. If you have a specific bullet, more of a long range type, have it chambered specifically for it.

There is nothing a 7mm has over a 30 in terms of ballistics.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back