New gun dilemma

I think the 6.5 Creedmore get's a bad rap. The main thing on any cartrodge seem's to me to be the shooter Take a 260 Rem and change the twist and you have a Creedmoor! Take a 6.5x55 in a commercial action and load it down a bit and you have a Creedmoor! I use the Sweed but would not turn my nose up at the 260 or the Creedmoor. Seems to be a fact no one get's. An animal killed with one cartridge is just as dead as the same animal killed with any other!

But, that above is pretty funny! :) But the Creedmoor girl is flat chested and to much hair on her chest! :)

I think the 6.5 Creedmore get's a bad rap. The main thing on any cartrodge seem's to me to be the shooter Take a 260 Rem and change the twist and you have a Creedmoor! Take a 6.5x55 in a commercial action and load it down a bit and you have a Creedmoor! I use the Sweed but would not turn my nose up at the 260 or the Creedmoor. Seems to be a fact no one get's. An animal killed with one cartridge is just as dead as the same animal killed with any other!

But, that above is pretty funny! :) But the Creedmoor girl is flat chested and to much hair on her chest! :)
My whole issue with the Creedmoor is how it has strayed from it's original intent.

The original intent was to allow mid range (600 yards) competition shooters to load the long, heavy match bullets to fit in an AR (2.80") magazine without intruding into the powder column.
Which it does well.

For a bolt rifle, the 260 Rem makes more sense.

BTW, the statement you made in your first post regarding the 7prc being better at long range than a 300wm is simply false. Most people who make that statement compare a high bc bullet in the 7prc to a standard bullet in the 300wm. Compare apples to apples and the 300 is the winner, no question. Hornady marketing is famous but it is the shiny new object on the block so it is to be expected.

Very bullet dependent but it takes a heavy 30 cal to out bc a 180 ELDm and a 300 WM probably won’t push it as fast and it’s going to thump the shooter more.

My whole issue with the Creedmoor is how it has strayed from it's original intent.

The original intent was to allow mid range (600 yards) competition shooters to load the long, heavy match bullets to fit in an AR (2.80") magazine without intruding into the powder column.
Which it does well.

Edit: Maybe you meant AI pattern magazines rather than AR? Creedmoor SAAMI COAL is longer than the 260s. Do you take issue with how the 30-06 has strayed from it's original intent? Story of creedmoor creation: https://www.ssusa.org/content/history-lesson-6-5-creedmoor-cartridge-origin/ The design was for bolt rifle competitions.

Last edited:
Very bullet dependent but it takes a heavy 30 cal to out bc a 180 ELDm and a 300 WM probably won’t push it as fast and it’s going to thump the shooter more.
I push 215’s at 3025 out of my 300wm. If we’re talking getting the best ballistics anything under 205gr shouldn’t be in the conversation if we’re doing comparisons. It cracks me up when people compare one of the highest bc bullets in one caliber to another caliber using a ballistically inferior choice just to make the former look better.

That’s why I brought up the 6.5’s….same comparison as 7mm vs 300. If recoil is a concern then why not get even less recoil in a 6.5prc/rpm/284 and get 95% of the 7mm? You could sit at the range and shoot those all day long.

Which it does well.

I get it. I read an article on the 260 when it came out. Jim Carmichael got the credit and claimed the reason for it was long range competation. He figured the lower recoil would help in longer string of shots! Something good about the 6.5 Creedmoor I would think is the faster twist. I've never checked the twist on my 6.5x55 but suspect it's a bit slow for bullet's I'd like to try. Love to give 156 gr bullet's a shot in it. Isn't that what the 6.5x55 origionally shot and earned its rep with? Mine has to live with 140gr bullet's. Can't find any 156gr within 200 mi of home! Living out as far as I do has some disadvantages!

As for bullet's loaded long and fitting into the magazine, hadn't heard that one. Something I found with some American rifles though is the actions are simply a bit short. had a 6mm in a 700ADL That I couldn't seat the bullet's to the lands in and still get the rounds in the magazine well. Sako L61 in 7mm Rem Mag long action might be just a bit longer than American actions. Had a gunsmith ream out the throat to where I could seat 160gr bullet's to the base of the neck and they fit the magazine well with some room to spare. Damn that rifle shot well! That 700 in 6mm Rem was a dud!

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stravic
Back