PEAX Equipment

New gun on the horizon

If I've learned anything on the internet for recommendations is...when you ask where is the best steak the answer is you actually want the pork chops

That being said look at ammo availability and cost. Being proficient to 600 yards isn't hard but it takes practice. Being a non-reloader you're going to have to hope factory ammo is consistent and available which it often is not. That may mean buying 5+ boxes of ammo from the same lot to get information to accurately calculate drop and windage and have enough ammo to practice with and to hunt with.

I can't get excited about paying $4.50-6/round for 28 Nosler or 300RUM ammo when you can get 7mmRemMag or 300WinMag for 1/3-1/2 the price and still have plenty of oomph to shoot an elk. I see Norma has bonded core and non-lead ammo available for $2-3/round for 7 and 300 Mags.
Fair enough. I will take that into consideration.

I don't have experience with a suppressors but make sure you look at ones that are rated for the big cartridges. SilencerShop may be able to help you with those mores specific recommendations.

For those that shoot a .28 Nosler, I have been warned that certain Rifle brands are struggling to produce accurate .28 Noslers or that they are very picky and depending on the make don’t always shoot factory ammo well. Is there any truth to this?

My buddy got a fierce .28 Nosler last fall and the thing has been a tack driver with both of the two loads he’s made up for it. Particularly, I’m looking at a christen arms .28 or RUM. If I decide on the RUM I’m also considering a weatherby Mark V.

Also thinking about getting a suppressor for this gun, anybody have any experience with one on either of these calibers?
I have a browning x bolt in 28 Nosler and I love it. It shoots factory Nosler e tips within an inch at 100 yards. It doesn’t shoot the factory accubonds quite as well but still good enough. The biggest issue is the barrel heats up so fast that it makes it hard to practice with oh ya and $90 for a box of ammo adds up quick.

The problem with a 300 win mag at 600 yards is the trajectory is dropping off precipitously. At a known 600 yards that's not as big of a problem but you better have that range down to the nuts.
I hear you, though I can't imagine taking 600 yard shots without a very good range finder and some sort of CDS system and if you have those things, does it really make a difference...? If what you're really after is a laser, maybe that pushes things a bit more towards the 28 Nosler.

I hear you, though I can't imagine taking 600 yard shots without a very good range finder and some sort of CDS system and if you have those things, does it really make a difference...? If what you're really after is a laser, maybe that pushes things a bit more towards the 28 Nosler.
With a 300 RUM you could shoot 210 gr. ABLRs and sight in somewhere between 3"-4" high at 100 yards and hold dead on for pie plate sized targets to 400 yards.

Both the 28 Noz and 300 Rum are potent.

But since you don't reload, I would take a hard look at the more common and less expensive cartridges. 7 Rem Mag, 300 Win Mag, 30-06, and 270 Win are all capable cartridges.

Cheaper ammo = more practice = competent rifleman.

Find the load the rifle likes and buy a case or two of ammo and proceed to practice from field positions and fill freezers.
Ditto above. If this is a rifle you plan on using this fall, you might have trouble finding ammo or components before then. After reading the news this morning, I don't see much improvement in the supply chain chaos during the coming months. I'm not sure I'll be able to find powder and primers for my 30-06 (thankfully I probably have enough bullets to get me through the year) let alone some calibre that's off the wall.

I have a Browning A bolt pro. I have only shot 160Gr Accubonds through it. It shoots 3/4 groups all day until tis gets hot then till float a little bit to about 1"-1.25" But that's after 5-6 straight shots. Something you wont do hunting. .28 is not a range gun. Its a long range stealth bomber. Actually they are inherently accurate. I have several friends with one and they are all shooters.

My .30 Nosler is a Nosler Model .48 custom and it shoots 1/4" groups with custom ammo. 1/2" groups with factory Accubonds.

Dont ever say silencer again. Suppressor if you must have one. .28 /RUM and alike need longer barrels. You don't want to hunt with a Suppressor on it.

If you are not going to say "silencer" like the guy that invented it, then please do not say "inherently accurate" either. Accuracy is not inherited, and no cartridge is such anyway.

Particularly, I’m looking at a christen arms .28 or RUM.

No experience with either cartridge in a CA, but my PRC is a CA Ridgeline. I hope your experience will be as good as mine. Shoots consistent 1/3 MOA groups at distance, recoil isn’t that bad, rifle carries and handles well. It’s a fun rifle, at least for me. It’s a huge step up in quality over the Savages and M70’s that are currently in my safe.

If you are not going to say "silencer" like the guy that invented it, then please do not say "inherently accurate" either. Accuracy is not inherited, and no cartridge is such anyway.
Would you like me to say characteristically accurate? Last time I checked we try to design calibers and bullets that are more accurate.

Imma double down and say the .284 is venerably inherent for configurations conducive to accuracy. I know not of this sudden de rigueur regarding suppressors.

*footnote @Oak

List of gun terminology confusions that irritate me more than "silencer" or "inherently accurate":

Confusing "accuracy" and "precision"
Confusing "caliber" and "cartridge"
Confusing "public lands" with "land owned by the government that I can't hunt on"
Confusing "preference/bonus points" and "state-sponsored Ponzi scheme"

Last edited:
List of gun terminology confusion that irritate me more than "silencer" or "inherently accurate":

Confusing "accuracy" and "precision"
Confusing "caliber" and "cartridge"
Confusing "public lands" with "land owned by the government that I can't hunt on"
Confusing "preference/bonus points" and "state-sponsored Ponzi scheme"
You sure about that last one?? I’m not Einstein but not sure I could wring out the difference 😂

With a 300 RUM you could shoot 210 gr. ABLRs and sight in somewhere between 3"-4" high at 100 yards and hold dead on for pie plate sized targets to 400 yards.
3-4” at 100?? That’s a pretty high zero bud. 200 yard shots would require some though also.
Most large magnum cartridges especially with heavy bullets I’d recommend 2-2.5” at 100 at most.

Well, go with 28 Noz.

Put an optic on it with a reticle that looks like a Christmas tree.

Zero it at 200.

Using the ballistics off the back of the box, engage target out to 1600 yards.

With a silencer, animals won't know where you are, so you can just keep shooting.

Best of the West!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaly24
Back