Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Il show you mine. Even if you dont show me yours.

Visiting Hunter

I wanted to share a story and possibly hear yours too. I know a lot of people have lost their rifles to a boating accident or a fire, but I will start. I really enjoy the stories an old rifle can hold, the craftsmanship is timeless. It doesn’t have to be your prettiest or your most expensive, or the oldest.. but what is the most nostalgic gun you own? (Or have owned before the tragic accident) vs what you hunt with now regularly. I don’t know about everyone here, but usually when the family gets together we sit around and drool over them and talk guns.

The thread @Bullshot Good Guns Done Dirt Cheap. got me thinking of the nostalgic memories of a rifle we can just remember forever.

Starting with the nostalgic rifle, it is a Winchester 32 special model 94, my grandpa told me he bought from the sheriff sometime in the 60s, out of the classifieds section in the newspaper. He told me the rifle was used in a shooting at a restaurant. Apparently, the guy was firing off rounds outside the restaurant from his truck into the establishment. After the guy was sent away, the sheriff sold the rifle a few years later to my grandfather. He was quite a crack shot. Really, for his age at 85, he still is. He was out over Christmas hitting the steel at 700 yards(different new rifle of my uncles. Not open sight 32 lol). But this was pretty much always in the truck, a rifle I saw take down a lot of porcupines and coyotes. But the memory I will never forget is him acing a dog, standing on the front porch. The neighbor’s dog was chasing his cattle. The dog was full sprint and then CRACK just rolling head over foot. I’m not sure exactly the yardage and this was years ago, but memory would put it around 250 yards, give or take. I was also a child, 5 or 6 years old, so take the yardage for what it’s worth. He told the neighbor if he caught their dog doing it again, it wouldn’t be coming home. And he wasn’t bluffing, I guess. That was the day I realized grandpa wasn’t messing around. But this one is mine because of riding around with him when I was a kid.

My go-to rifle for hunting is the Bergara 300 Win Mag. I enjoy it because, one, it’s powerful and, two, I think it’s versatile and very accurate. It has a nice smooth quick press of the trigger. And it is just very comfortable for me. Maybe a little large for deer, but all around my favorite to take out. I have only owned this setup for 2 years. It’s gotten 2 elk and 4 deer so far. Just a really good gun in my opinion, not too heavy, not too light. I like the feel of this stock. Usually I don’t like the synthetics, but it’s got a nice softer feel to it than the plastic. Overall, great gun.

What are your rifles and why are they special to you? What are some of the stories and memories you have with them? Post pictures if you would like and any stories. If you lost yours in an accident, I’m terribly sorry and I send my condolences 🙏

I always find the old rifles fascinating myself. The stories they hold are usually pretty timeless and never get old to me.

Little bit of I will show you mine, if you show me yours?

Attachments

• 20240215_201122.jpg
    20240215_201122.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 20
  • 20240215_201302.jpg
    20240215_201302.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 20

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member